Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2005, 02:01 AM

Default Re: If America got to the World Cup final, how many Yanks would watch

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Just know that your great nation will never get its hands on the greatest trophy in world sport and go on deluding yourself in thinking that if you really wanted to you could.

LMAO

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, and we'll never win the hockey olympic gold medal, or world championship.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's funny is that anyone who watched the last World Cup would have to acknowledge that we were clearly playing as well as any team other than Brazil. But for bad luck, we would've advanced to the semifinals with a legit shot at the finals. We rule.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:04 AM

And this using less than 5% of our resources. To say that the best we could ever be is AS GOOD AS Germany when we dominated them last time anyway - well, it doesn't make sense.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And this using less than 5% of our resources. To say that the best we could ever be is AS GOOD AS Germany when we dominated them last time anyway - well, it doesn't make sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHA

This is pathetic

Germany are 3 time world champions and you've made the quarter finals once and you think it gives you the right to talk. One swallow doesn't make a summer.

Plenty of nations have performed well in one World Cup, putting a good run together in one WC and being the best are not even comparable.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHA

This is pathetic

Germany are 3 time world champions and you've made the quarter finals once and you think it gives you the right to talk. One swallow doesn't make a summer.

Plenty of nations have performed well in one World Cup, putting a good run together in one WC and being the best are not even comparable.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said we are better than Germany. We are not so much worse that we can't severely outplay them in a game even now.

Given about 20 times as many players, coaches, etc. I think we would whoop Germany's ass.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:18 AM

Default Re: If America got to the World Cup final, how many Yanks would watch it?

It irks me that the US doesn't dominate Rugby. Look at all the ex-running backs from the NFL, major colleges, etc. I would think these guys could make the US a dominate Rugby force. Same skill set, same tools. Someone show them the money.

Soccer...well, that's a different story.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHA

This is pathetic

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said we are better than Germany. We are not so much worse that we can't severely outplay them in a game even now.

Given about 20 times as many players, coaches, etc. I think we would whoop Germany's ass.

[/ QUOTE ]

But what are going to do about Brazil, how are you going to whoop there ass. To be the best thats who you have to whoop.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHA

This is pathetic

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But what are going to do about Brazil, how are you going to whoop there ass. To be the best thats who you have to whoop.

[/ QUOTE ]

After reading this thread I think I underestimated how good Brazil is in relation to the rest of the world. As I said, I know little about soccer.

However, if the US put all our resources into soccer, the only question would be whether we would be #1 or #2 in the world. And I'm still leaning towards #1.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHA

This is pathetic

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

After reading this thread I think I underestimated how good Brazil is in relation to the rest of the world. As I said, I know little about soccer.

However, if the US put all our resources into soccer, the only question would be whether we would be #1 or #2 in the world. And I'm still leaning towards #1.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just humor me and find some footage of Ronaldinhio, Ronaldo or Kaka you could never produce players of that style, flair and calibre. NEVER NO MATTER HOW MANY BILLIONS OF DOLLARS YOU INVESTED.

We are just going to have to agree to disagree.

I cant wait to tell all my teammates that some Americans actually believe they could, by investing all there resources, be the best team in the world.

In thirty years of playing, coaching and loving the game it's the funniest thing I've heard.
Old 10-18-2005, 03:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Just humor me and find some footage of Ronaldinhio, Ronaldo or Kaka you could never produce players of that style, flair and calibre. NEVER NO MATTER HOW MANY BILLIONS OF DOLLARS YOU INVESTED.

We are just going to have to agree to disagree.

I cant wait to tell all my teammates that some Americans actually believe they could, by investing all there resources, be the best team in the world.

In thirty years of playing, coaching and loving the game it's the funniest thing I've heard.

[/ QUOTE ]

please emphasize that it was an american who admittedly knew nothing about football(soccer), cause someone like me who has a clue wouldn't ever say that the US would beat brazil consistently. But that doesn't mean that a WC win can't happen. Just remember that some of the best teams didn't win the WC(holland 78, england 82, brazil in the 80s with socrates)

Now, if we changed the main game from american football to rugby and gave ourselves a few world cups to get things together, now I think that'd be a different story. Before you say NZ, just remember that they always choke when the Webb Ellis trophy is on the line
Old 10-18-2005, 03:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's even more funny that you give the US zero chance of being as good as Brazil, no matter how much we put into soccer. I'm willing to admit there is a chance Brazil would still be the best team. But it's pretty darn hard to say with any certainty that the US wouldn't, given how little we put into it now and how we are still competitive on the international level.