Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2005, 09:24 PM

Default Re: Another huge one

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
that was sweeeeeeet, sox need to win tonight.

poor kapler huh? talk about freak injury.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tore my achilles just like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

how does it feel when that happens?
Old 09-14-2005, 09:29 PM

Mine was completed severed. Wasn't painful at all. Thought I sprained my ankle but it was weird because my ankle was just hanging.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:42 PM

speaking of clutch, the true CAPTAIN bats in the go-ahead run

and i'm not talking about one with a gay c on his chest
Old 09-14-2005, 10:01 PM

I don't like the "C" either but Varitek is a good Captain.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:06 PM

Default Re: BIG PAPI = M V P

Big Papi said yesterday that when his name comes up for MVP he hears people saying he's a DH. But, he said, you don't give the MVP to guys who hit .230 and win the Gold Glove.

Huh? I didn't know there were any .230 hitters who have won the MVP, or who were under consideration this year.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Big Papi said yesterday that when his name comes up for MVP he hears people saying he's a DH. But, he said, you don't give the MVP to guys who hit .230 and win the Gold Glove.

Huh? I didn't know there were any .230 hitters who have won the MVP, or who were under consideration this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, yeah, that's his point. He's saying that if you gave the MVP for defense, then you would know a .230 hitter who was under consideration for his stellar defense. Because that never happens, the award is obviously primarily for offensive contributions.

Did Mo Vaughn win an MVP because of his defense?
Old 09-15-2005, 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, yeah, that's his point. He's saying that if you gave the MVP for defense, then you would know a .230 hitter who was under consideration for his stellar defense. Because that never happens, the award is obviously primarily for offensive contributions.

[/ QUOTE ]

well he's completely wrong, they dont give it for defense but defense is a definite factor.

the reason no gold glove .230 hitters win it is because they dont contribute as much as a .960 OPS hitter. its not that defense doesnt matter, its just not big enough a factor for a bad hitter to win. if you take two .960 OPS hitters and one DHs and the other is a gold glove, well, whos better?
Old 09-15-2005, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
well he's completely wrong, they dont give it for defense but defense is a definite factor.

the reason no gold glove .230 hitters win it is because they dont contribute as much as a .960 OPS hitter. its not that defense doesnt matter, its just not big enough a factor for a bad hitter to win. if you take two .960 OPS hitters and one DHs and the other is a gold glove, well, whos better?

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree that defense is important, but the heavy offense factor is a relatively recent development.

ichiro won ROY and MVP. sure he had a great avg, but he wasn't a slugger. he won it primarily on his defense.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:25 PM

I think the point is this. Suppose the Sox had Ortiz playing first base this year instead of Millar. And he played the position just as well as Millar did this year which was not horrible but below average(and I think that is about how he would play it).

Now if that were the case, there would be many sports writers who would be more inclined to vote for him. To me, this doesn't make sense. Most sluggers who win the MVP are sub par on defense. Why penalize a guy just because he is neutral(no factor) on defense because he is designated to hit only?
Old 09-15-2005, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So you are saying defense was a factor when Mo Vaughn won? Or Jason Giambi? Or Frank Thomas?