Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2005, 07:27 PM

Default Re: unfluctuation

This is the same argument over and over. Tommy is obvioulsly a great card reader, I'm sure he knows his players, picks up body language well etc. So hes a real good poker player and wins a bunch of money, woohoo. He doesnt raise AK and AQ from the blinds. Its wrong. It costs him a little bit of money. Who cares.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:31 PM

The issue to me more is that Tommy's posts are about situations, games and players that are so specific that they don't apply to anybody else. It's an amusing, well told story, but it's not of a ton of value the vast majority of the forum.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:32 PM

Default Re: Ok, the old TSP is back . . . .

Why couldn't this be done online so that we all might learn something?
Old 09-13-2005, 07:32 PM

Not to knock anyone's ethical play here, but assuming this wager/challenge took place, wouldn't anyone betting on Tommy be the least bit worried about collusion?
Old 09-13-2005, 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The issue to me more is that Tommy's posts are about situations, games and players that are so specific that they don't apply to anybody else. It's an amusing, well told story, but it's not of a ton of value the vast majority of the forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is right in some regards, but, imo, his posts teach how to think like a good (live) poker player, which is something that cant be learned by just analyzing hands (at least ALL things). This is why one of my favorite books is Roy Cookes Real Poker 2.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Well, it depends if dcif and schneids would be up for it.

I'm ready to go for $50,000 per man. 150BB.

TSP

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you mean by $50k per man? Contingent, of course, upon getting all parties to agree to play, are you agreeing on the wager vs. me for $50k instead of the $100k I proposed? I could probably live with that + expenses (ie: loser will pay expenses of all parties involved). Or are you saying the freezeouts will be for $50k each or total, and the wager vs. me will stand at $100k?

Also, please let me know if you'd like to make additional wagers on Tommy not being the first to bust out 3,4,5, or more times out of ten.

I assume each of these ten freezeouts will be played until such point as one player busts out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do expenses include the money used to play in these games? I'm down for it if it includes a free trip or if the stakes are like $15/30 or something and I'm not going to lose sleep playing in a tough game.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:43 PM

If you read all of Tommy's posts you'll notice a theme. If you get it, it should be worth lots of money to you, unless you're hopeless and not in the good way.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why couldn't this be done online so that we all might learn something?

[/ QUOTE ]

This will never get done, online or anywhere else. First why one earth would Barron and Schneids want to put up that much money in a game that horrible.

Second, Tommy is, at last look, not an online player.

Third, not to speak out of turn, but I get the impression that Tommy figured out long ago that he plays this game for profit, not for pride, and while I'm confident he'd do well in that game, his time could be better spent elsewhere.

lf
Old 09-13-2005, 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you read all of Tommy's posts you'll notice a theme. If you get it, it should be worth lots of money to you, unless you're hopeless and not in the good way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ive read most all of his posts. I like most of them a lot and a few not as much. He misplayed this hand. I think it also cause more problems for him by checking here, because eventually observant players should start to notice he only raises AA KK and QQ from the blinds and it should hurt his action with those hands too.

So I guess I really dont understand what you are trying to say with that post. Some of his advice might be worth lots of money to me, and some of his advice might cost me money. Just because he is a great poker player doesnt me he isnt capable of making mistakes like the rest of us.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:25 PM

I was under the impression that the bet was strictly between TSP and El Diablo. It wouldn't have to cost Shneids or the others anything. They could factor any costs to the players into their bet. Perhaps the winner could/should also compensate the players for their time (this would include Tommy).

As for Tommy (and the others for that matter), playing poker only for profit well... I submit it would be a good exercise for all. None of us are above learning.

Btw- My money would be on Tommy as well. I don't know him, but I consider him a brethren in that he has survived being a professional poker player for years. You don't survive that long with glaring faults. I myself have fought the urge to jump all over him when he posts one of his fallacious and zany philosophies. But I have come to suspect that most of his posts are the exceptions and are supposed to make us think. TSP is wrong. The guy knows what he's doing.