Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2005, 07:41 PM

Default Re: Using ALL CAPS doesn\'t strengthen your position

[ QUOTE ]
I appreciate your input, Myrtle, but I just don't see it in as "politically correct" a sense as you seem to.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't think anyone here, particularly Myrtle, is advocating 'political correctness'.

If anyone is taking the 'politically correct' path, it's 2+2.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:43 PM

Default Re: MMMMMM Advocates Violence Against Americans

[ QUOTE ]
I, for one, am not here to put MMMMMM on trial; I've stated numerous times I think he's quite civil, articulate, and (except in the case of joker) has been more than fair - I just dislike the standards he (and I suppose 2+2, if 2+2 supports such standards) has created.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you DVaut1.

One standard which I did not create refers to not posting things defamatory about other users. This is clearly spelled out in the Terms and Conditions. Jokerswild did that very thing when he falsely claimed I advocated violence against Americans and coupled it with a reference to me as a "Tim McVeigh racist". As you can see, that is a very strong and pretty defamatory statement. He is likening me to Tim McVeigh and saying I advocated violence similarly. That is simply defamatory (also, he did it right after a warning but that's beside your point).
Old 08-18-2005, 07:45 PM

What you say here is very different than the single banning, which I reiterate, has my blessing. Having made that clear, I will depart back to my new home amongst the adolescents in oot. I could very easily be missing a good penis discussion right now. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 08-18-2005, 07:45 PM

Default Re: This discussion is a waste of time

[ QUOTE ]
Liberals only attack when they can't defend their irrational positions

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you have to say this only about liberals? Conservatives do the exact same thing. Both sides are guilty of many of the same bad tactics. When you say the kind of stuff I quoted above, it becomes very hard to take anything you say seriously.

P.S. I think MMMMMM is a great mod. From what I have seen, he has done absolutely nothing wrong. Keep up the good work, MMMMMM.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

One standard which I did not create refers to not posting things defamatory about other users. This is clearly spelled out in the Terms and Conditions. Jokerswild did that very thing when he falsely claimed I advocated violence against Americans and coupled it with a reference to me as a "Tim McVeigh racist". As you can see, that is a very strong and pretty defamatory statement. He is likening me to Tim McVeigh and saying I advocated violence similarly. That is simply defamatory (also, he did it right after a warning but that's beside your point).

[/ QUOTE ]

At the very least, I agree this is much more legitimately ban-able than 'misrepresentation' - I wouldn't personally ban for it, but at least it's objectively recognizable, IMO.

I can spot out-of-line name calling, etc. much easier than I can misrepresentation.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to say a couple things. My personal political views are quite radical. If I was king, we'd all be walking around as naked hippies. I'm serious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same if I were king, Mat! I actually have a very strong "live and let live" philosophy. The only people I have real problems with are the following: tyrants, terrorists, and busybodies who attempt to control others.

Just thought I'd mention that this once, since you and I have never discussed politics;-)

I should also thank you for your support, Mat...so thanks.

[ QUOTE ]
As far as Joker is concerned, consider him banned by me.

Mat

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I guess that settles that, then;-)
Old 08-18-2005, 08:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

At the very least, I agree this is much more legitimately ban-able than 'misrepresentation' - I wouldn't personally ban for it, but at least it's objectively recognizable, IMO.

I can spot out-of-line name calling, etc. much easier than I can misrepresentation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, he deliberately misrepresented me in a defamatory manner, (which I believe is what I originally stated). Perhaps I should have stressed the defamatory aspect more, though.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I respect him as poster, but personally feel that he has been a tad biased and just want him to pay attention to this,

[/ QUOTE ]

Arnfinn, I hereby promise you that I will strive as hard as possible to not let bias influence my moderating.

That doesn't mean I will stop posting my views when discussing politics, though;-)
Old 08-18-2005, 08:09 PM

Default Thanks, AngryCola n/t

^
Old 08-18-2005, 08:13 PM

Default Re: Using ALL CAPS doesn\'t strengthen your position

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I appreciate your input, Myrtle, but I just don't see it in as "politically correct" a sense as you seem to.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't think anyone here, particularly Myrtle, is advocating 'political correctness'.

If anyone is taking the 'politically correct' path, it's 2+2.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't mean exactly politically correct (I couldn't quite find the right word for what I did mean). PC-ness and concerns about perceptions of impropriety often seem to go hand-in-hand, however. So I was just using that as a loose term to try to indicate what I meant.