Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2005, 09:05 PM

Default Re: Bulking Up (Getting Ripped Before School)

I am guessing that you gained 15 lbs of muscle over time, stopped going to the gym for a few months, then went back and got it all back quick. That is muscle memory, which the original poster does not have.

I highly doubt that somebody with the frame that the OP has can gain 15 pounds of muscle in 6 months unless if they are really dedicated to it. Anybody that insists that just working out arms is the way to go won't put on 15 pounds of muscle EVER.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am guessing that you gained 15 lbs of muscle over time, stopped going to the gym for a few months, then went back and got it all back quick. That is muscle memory, which the original poster does not have.

I highly doubt that somebody with the frame that the OP has can gain 15 pounds of muscle in 6 months unless if they are really dedicated to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, the first time I started lifting weights I was sixteen and put on twenty pounds in forty days. Went from 135 to 155 being six feet tall. It can be done, just takes work.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:38 PM

Six feet tall and 135 lbs.? Holy crap, that's super skinny.

Sounds like your body was coming back from a very bad place. Even skinny guys aren't supposed to be THAT skinny.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Six feet tall and 135 lbs.? Holy crap, that's super skinny.

Sounds like your body was coming back from a very bad place. Even skinny guys aren't supposed to be THAT skinny.

[/ QUOTE ]

six feet and 135 is crazy.

im 6-4 210 and i am not heavyset at all. when i was younger i was 6-1 6-2 180 and i was fairly lanky, i was really athletic but just didnt have much muscle mass. i cant imagine being less than 180 back then though.

op- just weightlifting and working out wont do it. play a physical sport like soccer, or basketball, this will improve you conditioning and athelticism. stuff like your balance and coordination. soccer is amazing for this, it will make you so much more athletic because it involves so many facets of fitness, stamina, leg strength, balance. it will make your legs conditioned in ways lifting cant. to complement a sport like this you need to work upper body, and that is a very complete plan.
Old 08-21-2005, 10:00 PM

He'll have to go on a non-stop eating orgy too. I pity his digestive system.

I'd agree on soccer for general health, but for a guy who wants to put on mass, he'd be better of sticking to the weights. Soccer will get your legs bigger over time, but not quickly. It's a huge calorie drain, too, which could make it harder to add bulk all over.

Sure is great for general health, though, and a lot more fun than lifting weights up and down.
Old 08-21-2005, 10:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He'll have to go on a non-stop eating orgy too. I pity his digestive system.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is also very true. eat a lot. tons of protein. milk is great.
Old 08-21-2005, 10:16 PM

Hm... work the legs, get big.

I completely forgot about that aspect. I put myself on a similar weight gain program last year and worked on legs twice a week and ate unlimited dorm food every 2 hours until I allmost puked, and that worked OK. Now this year I don't work out as much, and I never work the legs. I'm sure I've lost weight since last year, as I'm now 140 pounds at 5'8"", which I suppose is "normal" from a Body Mass Index perspective, but I'd really like to be at 150, which is where I was at the peak of last year.

I have the fastest metabolism of anyone I know. My friends are amazed that I can stuff myself with food, and then be starving 3 hours later. It really is a fight to stop from losing weight. Can anyone suggest some inexpenseive homemade concoctions that contain a ton of calories and protein?
Old 08-21-2005, 10:36 PM

Eggs and milk are great and relatively cheap that way. Especially eggs. Great protein and plenty of it, and milk has lots of calories too. Getting chicken in those big value-packs is pretty cheap too. You should be able to get it for well under a buck a pound, and it's great, high-quality, good tasting protein.

If you go to bulknutrition.com, you can get 10 lb. bags of protein powder for a hair under 50 bucks. They last a long time and add about 25 grams of protein to milk, a bowl of oatmeal, whatever. I use the kind they have called simply "100 % Whey Protein," and the chocolate is pretty good and mixes very easily.

I also find my system moves quicker and feels much better with plenty of fruits and vegetables, too. Their low fat means you can eat a ton of them without worrying about laying down the preparations for future heart disease or stroke, too. Throw them in with some rice and you've got a solid meal; it also takes almost no effort, if you have a rice cooker. Throw a pack of frozen vegetables into a steamer with a cup of rice and some water, some back in 20 minutes, chow down.

My metabolism was like yours when I was a teenager. At most one hour after a big meal I could eat another one, or close to it. At least a couple sandwiches, no problem. And it would never stop. My parents were amazed, and so was I, actually. I was very skinny and super-active, and that just made my metabolism so high I practically felt like a furnace burning. I could practically hear the fire crackling!
Old 08-22-2005, 02:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like your body was coming back from a very bad place.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, my sophomore year of high school.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:46 AM

all this advice is good, but...

http://www.muscletalk.co.uk/

FORUMS HELP. all your questions have already been asked. do a search. and creatine just adds water weight and is only used to give you SLIGHTLY additional energy to do SLIGHTLY higher weight with more reps.

good luck.