Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2005, 01:42 PM

Default Re: Ethical to \"borrow\" neighbor\'s internet access?

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I'm getting really sick and tired of my neighbour's trees producing oxygen that is wafting into my yard. It's really pissing me off. Do you think I should sue?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a really stupid and backward post. You're better than that. Your argument is backward because it's he that has the problem in the wi fi case, and would be doing the sueing. I haven't seen one single solid argument as to why use of neighbor's wi fi is unethical. But using your above argument, I do breathe the oxygen his trees produce when it comes floating right into my nostrils.
Old 08-09-2005, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I'm getting really sick and tired of my neighbour's trees producing oxygen that is wafting into my yard. It's really pissing me off. Do you think I should sue?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a really stupid and backward post. You're better than that. Your argument is backward because it's he that has the problem in the wi fi case, and would be doing the sueing. I haven't seen one single solid argument as to why use of neighbor's wi fi is unethical. But using your above argument, I do breathe the oxygen his trees produce when it comes floating right into my nostrils.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I misread your post. I thought you were being sarcastic in response to the previous poster making mention of "poisonous CO2" being produced by the neighbours' animals. I missed the fact that you were actually responding to the WiFi part of his post.

My only ethical concern about using my neighbour's WiFi is the fact that I'll be reducing the bandwidth available to my neighbour, and he's paying for this bandwidth, I'm not. I'm being a leech.

If enough people were to use his WiFi, his connection speed would come to a crawl. Even if he isn't tech-savvy enough to protect his connection, this is still not a reason to take advantage of him.

Now, if there was some way to know when he was online so that I could avoid going online at those times (and not reduce his bandwidth), then your behaviour is victimless. Using his WiFi while he's out of town on vacation would be an example of how this could happen.
Old 08-09-2005, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Now, if there was some way to know when he was online so that I could avoid going online at those times (and not reduce his bandwidth), then your behaviour is victimless.

[/ QUOTE ]

Breaking into somebody's house while they're on vacation so you can use their massive plasma TV would be "victimless" too, in this sense, but I think that we can all agree that that's pretty wrong.

As I mentioned earlier, would you want to be the guy shelling out $ each month for internet access and then being freeloaded off of? For most people the answer is no. Thus, I think this is a pretty strong indicator that the activity in question is unethical. The Golden Rule works pretty good.
Old 08-09-2005, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Now, if there was some way to know when he was online so that I could avoid going online at those times (and not reduce his bandwidth), then your behaviour is victimless.

[/ QUOTE ]

Breaking into somebody's house while they're on vacation so you can use their massive plasma TV would be "victimless" too, in this sense, but I think that we can all agree that that's pretty wrong.

As I mentioned earlier, would you want to be the guy shelling out $ each month for internet access and then being freeloaded off of? For most people the answer is no. Thus, I think this is a pretty strong indicator that the activity in question is unethical. The Golden Rule works pretty good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would I want to be mooched off of? Maybe not. If that's the case, then i would take steps to prevent it. Would i want someone listening to my phone calls? no. But i don't think it's unethical for them to do so. Just because I don't like something someone does, does not mean it's unethical. the golden rule is good, and i generally follow it. But that doesn't mean i belive i have an ethical obligation to do so.
Old 08-09-2005, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the problem with this argument -- it's hard to use an anology to compare with using someone else's WiFi access. Your analogy of breaking into someone's house doesn't really fit because it involves violating someone's privacy by physically trespassing on their property. Having a stranger in your house while you're on vacation is more obtrusive than having someone use your WiFi during the same period.

The WiFi signal is entering your home and coming to you. It requires no physical trespassing on your part.

I'm not saying that leeching off someone's WiFi is ethical. Clearly I don't think it is. However, in some instances it might be less unethical than in others (though still unethical nonetheless).
Old 08-09-2005, 02:44 PM

I guess it depends on whether you consider stealing to be unethical, and whether you consider mooching WiFi to be stealing. If you don't consider mooching WiFi to be stealing, then it follows that you wouldn't consider it to be unethical.
Old 08-09-2005, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess it depends on whether you consider stealing to be unethical, and whether you consider mooching WiFi to be stealing. If you don't consider mooching WiFi to be stealing, then it follows that you wouldn't consider it to be unethical.

[/ QUOTE ]

In my opinion, yes, stealing is unethical. No mooching wifi is not stealing.
Old 08-09-2005, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hmm. Why don't you sue every living creature for five miles around for depositing poisonous CO2 molecules inside of your house, as well?

I really think this line of "well, it's in my house" is not sensible here. As others have pointed out, by this rationale you are perfectly within your rights to eavesdrop on conversations on signals that go through your house, which is obviously ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. It's not. It's perfectly reasonable. Why is it ridiculous?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand what your saying but Wifi signals are" man made signals" which I believe is quite different then natural biological processes produced in nature. Do you agree?
Old 08-09-2005, 05:24 PM

Default Re: Ethical to \"borrow\" neighbor\'s internet access? *DELETED*

Post deleted by bwana devil
Old 08-09-2005, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
cnn

has this been posted in this thread? havent read all of the replies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. And it's still irrelevant.