Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2005, 02:21 PM

Default Re: Pic of Greg & Matusow After Play Ended

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

What range are we talking about? Mike correctly put Greg on a semi-bluff. If Greg has just the flush draw, or just two overs, Mike is a nice favorite. As it happens, Greg had BOTH of those (it's impossible to read someone that precisely) and was still only a 54/46 favorite. With the chips already in the pot, it was the correct call.

[/ QUOTE ]

The board was T92 with two diamonds. Matusow called with Q9, so Greg's range of hands probably includes AT and JT, to both of which MM is a huge dog.

[/ QUOTE ]

Matusow had 97s.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The big meltdown, unrelated to that

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not trying to be too nitpicky here, but it was somewhat related. It did happen a bit later in the tournament, though.

It was against the same guy (Raymer), and you have to feel like he wanted to go after Raymer more than some of the others. He even said something to that effect when he called Raymer's bet with his 97.
"I told you I was going to bust you, didn't I?"
Old 07-14-2005, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I always thought the comments by Mike in last years WSOP were so overblown... When he made them it was nothing personal against raymer, they were battleing for table control and mike was trying to intimidate and rile him up... that backfired obviously as Raymer showed he wouldn't back down and pushed on a heavy draw... Mike made a bad call and the rest is history.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bad call why? Because Greg happened to make his flush??

[/ QUOTE ]

It was a bad call on so many levels:

1) Even if you are right and he doesn't have a higher pair you are a dog to his likely draw.

2) At the time they each had the largest stacks at the table, no reason to get into a situation with another big stack that can cripple you in hopes you are in a coin flip situation. Plenty of time to find a better spot.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:28 PM

He definitely let his ego get in the way on that one... wtf was he doing in that hand with 97s anyways? Especially with Raymer raising so many pots preflop.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He definitely let his ego get in the way on that one... wtf was he doing in that hand with 97s anyways? Especially with Raymer raising so many pots preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Raymer was beating on Matasow's Blinds and Mike had enough of it. With their exchange and the constant blind assault from Greg I think he was steaming a bit thus leading to making a stand with the hand. If Mike had a cool head about him I think he makes that lay down.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
OK, I've searched the past threads to no avail...someone help an uninformed soul on what is the beef between Raymer and Matusow? What exactly was the meltdown at the 2004 WSOP from Matusow?

Thanks for the info.....

[/ QUOTE ]

After a hand (I believe Mike raised and Grag folded, but not important), Matusow started putting down Greg, saying that Mike had big cajones, and Greg just had little ones, and that Mike would be the big winner. Greg ignored him and Mike finally calmed down and realized (or was told) that he was making a jerk of himself. As they were going on break, Greg was writing his chip count in a notebook, and Mike tried to apologize and reached out to shake Greg's hand. Greg indicated he didn't want to shake, and continued writing.

The big meltdown, unrelated to that, was when Matusow busted out. He walked over to the side of the room, sat down bemoaning his bad luck, and started crying.

[/ QUOTE ] Greg indicated he didn't want to shake, and continued writing.

Leading to a priceless Norman Chad quip: "Note to self, Seat 1 is a JERK!!"
Old 07-14-2005, 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Raymer was beating on Matasow's Blinds and Mike had enough of it. With their exchange and the constant blind assault from Greg I think he was steaming a bit thus leading to making a stand with the hand. If Mike had a cool head about him I think he makes that lay down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually if I remember right Matusow raised UTG or UTG+1 with 97s, Raymer reraised with AJs (yeesh), and it folds back to Matusow, who calls. Don't think Matusow was in the blinds that hand.

Matusow then checks to Raymer who pushes. Matusow freaks out then calls. then freaks out again.

But, I think you're right -- I think if it hadn't been Raymer he would have made the laydown.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually if I remember right Matusow raised UTG or UTG+1 with 97s, Raymer reraised with AJs (yeesh), and it folds back to Matusow, who calls. Don't think Matusow was in the blinds that hand.

Matusow then checks to Raymer who pushes. Matusow freaks out then calls. then freaks out again.

But, I think you're right -- I think if it hadn't been Raymer he would have made the laydown.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is true, however I do recall Mike making a statement a couple hands earlier "That's about the umpteenth time you've raised my blind!".

Greg's aggression had obviously got to Mike. Matasow wanted to control the table but Greg was in the way. From Mike's cajones statement, to the decline of Mike's half hearted apology, to Raymer's constant raising of Mike's blinds... Mike was itching to bust Raymer.

Everybody has gotten into a table battle with another opponnent and made a mistake when it became more about the battle than focusing on the tourney. It's a tough lesson that is often relearned several times.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
pokerstarsblog sez they "chatted genially". I played a couple events where MM was at adjacent tables. He was talking nonstop of course, but seemed self-deprecating and relaxed.

One could speculate the looming court case-incarceration contributed to his odd-idiotic play & behavior last year. MM has won a NLHE bracelet; barring a complete meltdown look for a top five finish at worst.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmm, if i were mike, i would have chosen a number other than 8 for my full tilt jersey

if you catch my drift
Old 07-14-2005, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
OK, I've searched the past threads to no avail...someone help an uninformed soul on what is the beef between Raymer and Matusow? What exactly was the meltdown at the 2004 WSOP from Matusow?

Thanks for the info.....

[/ QUOTE ]

They didn't really show the hand, but Matusow raised Raymer and Raymer folded. Matusow then flipped his cards over and said, "you better not f*ck with me, boy, I'll bust you. I got big cahones, you have little cahones". Something along those lines. Then he tried to shake Raymer's hand and say "I was just kidding around" and Raymer declined as he should have.

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw this exchange just the other day on ESPN. As I heard it, the quote was "Big man, little balls" (obviously referring to Raymer) or something similar. Whatever the case, I thought Greg handled it perfectly.