Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2005, 11:52 AM

Default Re: PokerNow is detecting PV/PT or possibly PokerStove

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I know it is not a popular view on the forums, but I think all the sites should shut down the pokerstove, playerviews, and pokertrackers as soon as possible. Once casual recreational players learn that there are computer programs their opponets are running that tell them how they have played every single hand in the past it will just scare them away. There are already scores and scores of people who are just plain afraid to put any money into an online poker site. These potential players are already worried about PokerBots, rigged sites, sites shutting down and taking off with their money and then learing about player profiling software that people run will only scare them off more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you even know what pokerstove is?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, if others here don't they can read all about it at their website http://www.pokerstove.com

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just asking because I can't see any reason why that program should be considered "illegal" or be shut down in any way. It's an equity calculator and is helpful for learning more about the game, but isn't used as a tool anymore than a poker book during hands/games. It doesn't confer any significant advantage to a player using it mid-hand, mid-game, etc. It's great for knowing what your equity is when a pot is 5-handed and your opponents play 55% of their hands and you're holding 77, but again, I can't see why that's something that needs to be grouped with PV.

Honestly, PV is the only objectionable form of technology I can think of in the poker arena, and I don't think it's all that bad.

Rob
Old 06-22-2005, 11:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
whether it's fair or legal or not or whatever is irrelevant, dude. all you should be thinking about it whether or not it's good for the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think multitabling should be banned?
Old 06-22-2005, 11:59 AM

I would be perfectly fine with them curtailing it to get rid of the 12-tablers, for instance I closed my party and pokernow accounts and I only play at Empire now (per the T&Cs). the bottom line is eventually the T&Cs, but comparing GT+ to blackjack cheat sheets isnt at all the same thing.

also, it takes no special insider information to multitable. and please don't come back with the book argument/2+2 argument, because the retort is the bot argument. where each of us individually draws the line is obviously going to vary
Old 06-22-2005, 12:15 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I know it is not a popular view on the forums, but I think all the sites should shut down the pokerstove, playerviews, and pokertrackers as soon as possible. Once casual recreational players learn that there are computer programs their opponets are running that tell them how they have played every single hand in the past it will just scare them away. There are already scores and scores of people who are just plain afraid to put any money into an online poker site. These potential players are already worried about PokerBots, rigged sites, sites shutting down and taking off with their money and then learing about player profiling software that people run will only scare them off more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you even know what pokerstove is?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, if others here don't they can read all about it at their website http://www.pokerstove.com

[/ QUOTE ]

looks like someone just googled "poker stove!"
Old 06-22-2005, 12:15 PM

Sand,

I submit that GT+ does do something for you that you couldn't do yourself. even if you used PT's advanced notes export, GT+ provides added value.

In fact, I think PT's advanced notes export feature does hurt my argument pretty significantly, because I think pokertracker is pretty invaluable in tracking one's own play for tax purposes (and because stats are fun) and I don't think they should ban PT altogether. .
Old 06-22-2005, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with PennyAnte and Overdrive. just shut em down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or you can play at sites that don't support/allow them.

I joined a site last month and was surprised to see a specific mention that they would not support or allow such programs.

Since I don't use these programs, I feel better playing at a site that doesn't allow them. It seems the players play very poorly at these sites not surprisingly.

It's always our choice. If you don't agree with a sites policy to support these programs, play at a site that doesn't support these programs.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
whether it's fair or legal or not or whatever is irrelevant, dude. all you should be thinking about it whether or not it's good for the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

There you said it, bro. Ultimately, whatever violates the T&C is cheating. Like it or not, if Party T&C says no PT/PV/GT then you are cheating if you use them on Party sites.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
MY RIGHT blah blah blah

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, come on. No government has ever recognized playing poker as a fundamental human right. I can't believe you're going on about all your different "rights" when it comes to online poker. The only "right" you have is to not play.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
recreational players 1 table and play a few thousand hands a month. multitabling TAGs play 30k hands a month

it's like the government chasing away upper and upper-middle class families and making it more appealing for middle and lower class people because there are more of them. even though they're chasing out the minority they're losing a significant amount in tax dollars. I don't claim to know anything about politics. it just seemed like a fitting analogy

[/ QUOTE ]

and that 1 recreational player is more valuable to the site than you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahaha. In a thread full of complete b.s., this might be the clubhouse leader. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-22-2005, 12:42 PM

>>>Do you also insist on "no note taking tables"?

No, because note taking merely gives you a general idea of how a player plays, and is not an extensive database with every one of your hands. Live poker players use mental notes (and even sometimes written notes) all the time. But they do not keep a record of every single hand.

And has anyone considered that getting rid of profiling programs would HELP the more skilled players??? If these programs were banned then each player would have to depend on his/her own PLAYING SKILL rather than a crutch. And I'm sure that these skilled players would get better results if these crutch-using players weren't using profiling programs against THEM.