Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2005, 02:46 AM

Default Re: Poker as a living. How to deal with my family?

[ QUOTE ]
Don't flee the full-time work thing--if you are smart you will find a way to manipulate it and use it as a springboard to get the life you want.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-05-2005, 04:15 PM

i dropped out of school and i've been playing 3/6 and 5/10 for about a year now successfully with no job. it's not always easy but it's a hell of a lot better than having a job. if you want to do it, do it, move out so that you don't have to answer to your parents.
Old 06-05-2005, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i dropped out of school and i've been playing 3/6 and 5/10 for about a year now successfully with no job. it's not always easy but it's a hell of a lot better than having a job. if you want to do it, do it, move out so that you don't have to answer to your parents.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is incredibly stupid and short sighted. Most of the comments on this and other threads already talk about why.

Also, you mention that you are having a hard time doing this. Well, let me provide this counter example. I work full time, and started playing poker just over a year ago. I now have more than enough of a BR for playing 30/60 because I didn't have to withdrawl from my BR (although, I did pull some for extra fun money.)

I plan on retiring in 3-5 years with enough money to pay off my house, plus 1 years reserve, plus 1000BB. Then, I will turn pro. If the games dry up, it may not happen, or may take longer. However, contrast that to your current small stakes struggle.

I should point out that I am not a particularly good player either, but the combination of job + poker lets me save at an incredible rate. I also get all the benefits of a a real job, including insurance, matching retirement funds, etc.

Get a job.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:47 AM

yeah, that's exactly what i'll do. i'll get a job with no formal education that will pay me half a BB an hour. you've done a good job of pointing out the errors of my ways.
Old 06-06-2005, 01:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah, that's exactly what i'll do. i'll get a job with no formal education that will pay me half a BB an hour. you've done a good job of pointing out the errors of my ways.

[/ QUOTE ]

And maybe if you had a formal eductaion in statistics you could understand probabilities and varience and turn you half a BB/hr into 3 BB/hr.

Please DO NOT give bad advise to impressionable and/or misguided people.
Old 06-06-2005, 01:43 AM

I haven't read most of the responses, but here are my thoughts:

You are a currently a student; if you can win decent money playing poker then go for it. Its likely better than working some crappy job somewhere making $10/hour. However don't let poker get in the way of your degree, get your degree, go get a good engineering job and play poker as a hobby in your free time.

If you can get a $50K/year job and still make an additional 10-20K playing poker on the side "for fun" that's great and much less stressful than trying to win 60K/year playing poker alone. Many of the better players here on the forums have real jobs (El Diablo, Paluka, etc) so unless you are a the next superstar and are a big enough luckbox to run your BR up to where you are making truely big money don't let poker get in the way of a real career.
Old 06-06-2005, 01:46 AM

all i'm doing is stating my opinion, it worked for me. his decision is nobody's but his own and if my advice lands him dead or in jail it'll still be on his own accord.
Old 06-06-2005, 01:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
2/4 and 3/6 is where you start runnig into good players who take poker seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-06-2005, 02:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i dropped out of school... with no formal education... you've done a good job of pointing out the errors of my ways.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I think you pointed them out yourself. Seriously, go back to school.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:40 AM

its good that you feel you know everything there is to know about my personal situation. stop making vast generalizations about my situation.

i will say that getting your degree or whatever is obviously the ideal situation and this kid is probably [censored] up but whatever, some of us aren't given the best of situations to deal with.