Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2005, 05:58 PM

Default Re: We are the sewers of society

What a dumbass post. At least others, like Buster, post semi-nude pictures of their girlfriends in this forum.
Old 05-26-2005, 07:02 PM

GoT--

I'm not sure I can agree with your absolutist ethical standard--ie, "If you need justifications you shouldn't be doing it. Period." Whether you call them such or not, your, mine and everybody else's life is predicated on a constant stream of renegotiated compromises and rationalizations.

If you "need" to justify something, that doesn't render that act unethical on its face.
Old 05-26-2005, 07:41 PM

I'm not sure of the level of clarity in my previous post. What I intended to say was, I will give 25 cents of every dollar I cash out to my bank account, not to Neteller, etc. I mean, every dollar of profit I take out, leaving a properly sized bankroll behind, a portion is going to charity. I have a pretty decent bankroll management sense. I'm still just a micros player, so bankroll building is definitely a top priority. At present time, however, I'm grossly over-rolled for my present limit (1/2) due to zealous bonus whoring, so I'm skimming off some to go towards a new TV, a 1600x1200 monitor for good 4 tabling, and charity.

Thanks for the words of caution, but I'm already playing it safe. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-26-2005, 08:00 PM

I could see a lot of people dying due to everyone trying to repair their own cars.

Doctors wouldn't be able to contribute much to society without the drug industry, the medical equipment industry, the sanitation industry, even the electric industry.

Other jobs may have more to do with quality of life, and there is an arguement to be made that poker can increase the quality of life of non winning players so there is a slight connect. However, your over the top arguement seems to be unconvincing to everyone.
Old 05-26-2005, 08:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I could see a lot of people dying due to everyone trying to repair their own cars.

Doctors wouldn't be able to contribute much to society without the drug industry, the medical equipment industry, the sanitation industry, even the electric industry.

Other jobs may have more to do with quality of life, and there is an arguement to be made that poker can increase the quality of life of non winning players so there is a slight connect. However, your over the top arguement seems to be unconvincing to everyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

My point has nothing to do with car repair or the ability of anyone to perform their job.
Old 05-27-2005, 11:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
my problem is that I generally don't. which runs very contrary to my values, as i think it is for the best of all concerned to perform random acts of kindness.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gamblor, just last week I saw you toss chips to someone you didn't know, who had just busted out, so he could stay in the game. I didn't. I slept fine.

This isn't to say as long as I am happy with myslef I should be allowed to do whatever.t.f. I please. Society constantly adjusts acceptability lines. When I cross one I understand where the slap is coming from.

I find my self worth in interaction with friends and relatives, not from my source of income.
Old 05-27-2005, 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[

I find my self worth in interaction with friends and relatives, not from my source of income.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really like this line
Old 05-27-2005, 11:34 AM

As poker players, we don't earn our money.

what?

stick with trying to look cool in pictures, your views on life suck.
Old 05-27-2005, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As poker players, we don't earn our money.

what?

stick with trying to look cool in pictures

[/ QUOTE ]

i look far too cool to try.

[ QUOTE ]
your views on life suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

god i'd hate to be you
Old 05-27-2005, 01:30 PM

Yea it would be great if our houses coroded and we couldnt drive anywhere. Without car mechanics our society would grind to a halt.

The op is commentating on the lack of value creation in the activity of playing poker. We expend labour but create no value, instead we leach the value created by the time and labour of others, we quite literaly live of the work and labour of other human beings.

What ever you may think of painter this isnt the case with them. They labour and produce an empirical improvemenet to to an asset and in return are compensated for that improvement in value.

So it is not an arguement about whether we could do with certain professions, but rather that poker players produce no tangible increas in the value of assets in the community unlike 90% of other proffesions. Most labour creates wealth or value, this is why there is more wealth now than 100 years ago, again poker does not help this process.

I personaly dont have a problem with any of the above,