Any Alice in Chains album
Any Bad Religion album
Any Tool album

Rancid - And Out Come the Wolves
Social Distortion - Live at the Roxy
Descendents - Everything Sux
Weezer - Pinkerton & Blue Album
Pennywise - Unknown Road

I could name more, but those are just off the top of my head.

[/ QUOTE ]

With a name like Morello, how can you not name Rage Against The Machine?!?

[/ QUOTE ]

They are good, and Evil Empire is probably close to making it, but I would list it behind all of the others I've already mentioned.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:25 PM

Default Re: Albums you can listen to entirely, w/out having to skip any tracks

Ugh, Evil Empire is the worst RATM album IMO and i would certainly list RATM above Rancid, Pennywise, Bad Religion, Tool, Weezer [censored] a lot of the bands you named.

To each his own I guess. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Tom Morello's just soooo gooood.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:25 PM

Location: it\'s like a puzzle with pans. if you think about it.

[ QUOTE ]
Whoa. Ok. Can we get some love up in here?

I never said I didn't like The Ramones. You should read a bit more carefully.

[/ QUOTE ]
i never said i thought you didn't like the ramones. i was speaking in general in response to what you said. sorry if you thought it was aimed at you specifically.

but how the heck is pearl jam, alice in chains, garbage, metallica, AC/DC, nirvana, green day, rancid, flaming lips, RATM, (just to name a few from this thread) acceptable suggestions and not the RAMONES? i'm not saying these are bad suggestions, but seriously, THE RAMONES is "treading in dangerous territory" compared to the other suggestions in this thread ?

the ramones (minus a couple albums) are an EASY suggestion for albums to easily listen to without feeling the need to skip any tracks. they're CLASSIC.

[ QUOTE ]
BTW, out of curiosity, could you list 5 bands you consider to be heavily influenced by The Ramones?

[/ QUOTE ]
i didn't say anything about "heavily" but bands influenced by the ramones... there is already over 5 listed in this thread. nirvana, pearl jam, rancid, green day, descendents, pennywise, to name a few obvious ones.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Whoa. Ok. Can we get some love up in here?

I never said I didn't like The Ramones. You should read a bit more carefully.

[/ QUOTE ]
i never said i thought you didn't like the ramones. i was speaking in general in response to what you said. sorry if you thought it was aimed at you specifically.

but how the heck is pearl jam, alice in chains, garbage, metallica, AC/DC, nirvana, green day, rancid, flaming lips, RATM, (just to name a few from this thread) acceptable suggestions and not the RAMONES? i'm not saying these are bad suggestions, but seriously, THE RAMONES is "treading in dangerous territory" compared to the other suggestions in this thread ?

the ramones (minus a couple albums) are an EASY suggestion for albums to easily listen to without feeling the need to skip any tracks. they're CLASSIC.

[ QUOTE ]
BTW, out of curiosity, could you list 5 bands you consider to be heavily influenced by The Ramones?

[/ QUOTE ]
i didn't say anything about "heavily" but bands influenced by the ramones... probably over 5 already listed in this thread. nirvana, pearl jam, rancid, green day, to name a few obvious ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah. Total misunderstanding then. My apologies.

I'm nothing more than a casual listener of The Ramones so I find it a bit hard to see the influences on Nirvana and Pearl Jam. Elaboration on that would be interesting.

Just to clarify, I think The Ramones's style is just such that many people would have a hard time getting into it as opposed to every other band you mentioned above. You're either gonna love or hate the vocals after hearing it for the first time, so I guess it's not a bad recommendation, I just feel like it's hit/miss ratio would be lower than a lot of other bands. Worth a listen to see if you like it though.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ah. Total misunderstanding then. My apologies.

[/ QUOTE ]
no problem, harmless music talk [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
I'm nothing more than a casual listener of The Ramones so I find it a bit hard to see the influences on Nirvana and Pearl Jam. Elaboration on that would be interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]

pearl jam introduced me to the ramones actually.. i was probably in 7th grade. (1992ish?) jeff ament was wearing a ramones t-shirt in one of their videos or something.

anyway, quote from http://music.yahoo.com/read/news/12037897

[ QUOTE ]
(3/19/02, 6 p.m. ET) -- Pearl Jam's Eddie Vedder inducted the Ramones into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame during Monday night's (March 18) ceremonies in New York. Vedder made a rambling 17-minute speech about the group's groundbreaking sound, their immense influence, and how underappreciated they were during their 20-plus years in existence.

Sporting a fresh mohawk, Vedder told the crowd, "When punk finally broke in '91, the Ramones still weren't brought along for the ride, even though Nirvana, Rancid, (and) Green Day wouldn't have existed without them."

Vedder said that he is also someone who is indebted to the group. "You know, punk bands now sell with one record--their first or second record--sell 10 times the amount of records that the Ramones did throughout their career with 20-something records. That's why I go over to Johnny Ramone's house and do yard work three times a week, just to absolve some of the guilt."
Vedder continued, "And a bunch of people do it, like (U2's) Bono and Edge do the windows. Kirk Hammett, the guitar player from Metallica, he dusts, house cleans, makes French toast. That's a true story," he said with a laugh.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm sure a couple google searches can help elaborate further.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
also i don't really understand when people ask for music recommendations but then say "not obscure stuff though." i see comments about that a lot on these forums - what do people have against "obscure" bands ?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
seriously, if you can't appreciate the ramones (or the white stripes, but more so the ramones), you shouldn't be listening to music in the first place

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-20-2005, 10:51 PM

in case you guys missed it the first and second time:
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
also i don't really understand when people ask for music recommendations but then say "not obscure stuff though." i see comments about that a lot on these forums - what do people have against "obscure" bands ?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
seriously, if you can't appreciate the ramones (or the white stripes, but more so the ramones), you shouldn't be listening to music in the first place

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-20-2005, 10:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
in case you guys missed it the first and second time:

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps my point was missed (though I doubt it)...

On the whole, people who like obscure music are far more likely to say things like (or have an attitude implying) "If you cant appreciate (Band X) you shouldnt be listening to music"

That is the answer to the question you posed
Old 05-20-2005, 10:57 PM

p.s. since when do you have to actually be serious when you say "seriously" ?
Old 05-20-2005, 10:57 PM

Location: Hurricanes, animal corpses and your potential new tattoo have a lot in common. Think about it.

Elliot Smith - Either/Or
Gene - Olympian
Interpol - Turn on the Bright Lights
Morrissey - Vauxhall and I