Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2005, 12:38 AM

Default Re: **IMPORTANT** Message from granny via email...

[ QUOTE ]
So it's "unfair" because under the original plan she would have been covering all her expenses (assuming she didn't get in through a sat or something) but be intitled to all her winnings as well. She's willing to share her winnings equally with her backers (which is a very nice move, most staked players take a cut off the top).

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope I'm not coming off as a jerk because I am very interested in this. But I disagree here.

If granny is already planning to play, he was already planning to pay room and board. So why would the zoo pay for his room and board for a piece of 1 tourney that we are paying for?

Granny is not "sharing" his potential winnings with us. He is splitting his winnings on the tourney with backers. This deal would lower his risk by lowering how much money he has to risk. It is a lot easier to come up with $5k than $10k, both on the BR and mentally. The deal therefore also lowers his reward, as he needs to split his winnings with the backers.

I still stand with my original position on the room and board situation. Maybe paying for room and board is standard in these situations. I don't know, as I've never backed anyone. For me though, I am not willing to pay for room and board. I would be willing to include the costs for the contract to be written up in the buyin.

Let me say again that I am very excited about the opertuninty to back someone from the zoo. I look forward to chipping in and rooting for him.

HC
Old 05-19-2005, 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if the zoo decides to pay for his room and board, I will not be participating.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

this is not an issue. i would not accept one dime in expenses from the group. as all know, i was planning on going regardless. thanks to mike this turned into a group effort.

however, i would not take the expense money under any circumstances whatsoever. if it were a standard deal, it would come out of winnings and that just makes this too complicated to proceed.

we will try for a sponsor, and if we can't, then i just get a really cool thread to be proud of.

passwordless- mae OUT

[/ QUOTE ]

Glad to hear it. Ignore my 2 posts on the issue.

HC
Old 05-19-2005, 12:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I do not get any of that for my share of the buy in. Therefore I would not be willing to pay any part of his room and board.

[/ QUOTE ]

Look man. I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt here cause your new and obviously dont understand how backing deals work.

First. In a normal backing deal the player keeps a higher percentage of the win than they contribute financially. IE: Backer puts up 60% and gets 50% of any winning. This is compensation for their skill. I'm pretty sure there are alot of Anna Benson type players that have never played, or played very little, poker in their lifetime prior to playing in this event. Ergo Granny is +EV. Since Granny takes no premium, paying for the hotel and flight is more than fair.

Second. If you don't like it, don't buy-in. Seriously. That easy. This was more about sending a friend to the WSOP than anything else. I'm pretty sure the majority of us dont mind giving up a small piece of the action to get Gran there and keep her in Depends.

Heres what we do if we have any trouble getting a site to sponsor:

120 put up $100. If there aren't 120 willing, then people can buy multiple shares. I'm willing to buy up to 10. Granny has made me much more than that on idol alone. Call it a rebate. This pays for hotel, flight and Ben-Gay.

As far as a guaranteed seat goes, i'm pretty sure you can wire the money to harrahs and pre-register. All problems solved.

I now am in need of Zoo props for my restraint with this person...

Tuco.
Old 05-19-2005, 12:46 AM

If I were a professional gambler who was attending this event, I would consider room and board as expenses just as I would the tourney fees to be expenses.

When you buy a share, you are buying a share of the expenses. Tourney fees and accomodations.

Stu
Old 05-19-2005, 12:47 AM

Default Re: Update #1 - Important

I just saw this... and I'd be down for $50 if space was still available. Granny kicks too much ass around here to not try and be a part of this.
Old 05-19-2005, 12:51 AM

Props to Tuco. I have no problem putting in some for expenses. If you won a seat at Party, they take out of the prize pool for expenses too, so what's the difference.
Old 05-19-2005, 12:52 AM

Default Re: Granny goes to Vegas!

I see that the list looks pretty full up, but (call me cynical) I figure they're be a few people who change their minds / something comes up and they need to pull out. So, if that's the case, I'd like to put my name up as an alternate for any dropouts.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:14 AM

Default Re: Granny goes to Vegas!

I didn't really read all this post, but I did read that there is an issue of a sponsor/rooms/accomadations.

One way or the other, I hope this works for Granny, but I am out if there is NO SPONSOR for her room.

If there is a sponsor willing to put her up somewhere, then I'm in and btw I am only in for $50.

I'm willing to sign a contract and all that too.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
I do not get any of that for my share of the buy in. Therefore I would not be willing to pay any part of his room and board.

Look man. I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt here cause your new and obviously dont understand how backing deals work.

First. In a normal backing deal the player keeps a higher percentage of the win than they contribute financially. IE: Backer puts up 60% and gets 50% of any winning. This is compensation for their skill. I'm pretty sure there are alot of Anna Benson type players that have never played, or played very little, poker in their lifetime prior to playing in this event. Ergo Granny is +EV. Since Granny takes no premium, paying for the hotel and flight is more than fair.

Second. If you don't like it, don't buy-in. Seriously. That easy. This was more about sending a friend to the WSOP than anything else. I'm pretty sure the majority of us dont mind giving up a small piece of the action to get Gran there and keep her in Depends.

Heres what we do if we have any trouble getting a site to sponsor:

120 put up $100. If there aren't 120 willing, then people can buy multiple shares. I'm willing to buy up to 10. Granny has made me much more than that on idol alone. Call it a rebate. This pays for hotel, flight and Ben-Gay.

As far as a guaranteed seat goes, i'm pretty sure you can wire the money to harrahs and pre-register. All problems solved.

I now am in need of Zoo props for my restraint with this person...

Tuco.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tuco said it better than I could have thought it!
Old 05-19-2005, 01:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I stated as much, reread my post carefully. Thanks for filling me in about how backing works, as I said I didn't know. It doesn't change how I am approaching this.

Bottom line is that this isn't that big of a deal. If the zoo decides to cover room and board, I'll have to back out. It's simple, and I stated as much. I may be wrong, but that's how I feel.

Anytime something contriversial is brought up against a popular zoo player, people go on the offensive. And this isn't even contriversial. It's just one player stating his terms. There are lots of people out there looking to get into the deal.

Flame away...

HC