FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Preflop action
Raise 26 65.00%
Limp 11 27.50%
Fold 3 7.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-19-2005, 05:11 PM

Default Re: Update

Friends don't ask friends to do things like that for them.

-Hey, buddy, I have 5 lbs of coke and my house is going to be raided. Can you hold onto my stash?
-Hey, I just murdered my girlfriend. You never liked the beeyatch, can you wash the hammer for me?
-Hey, I just embezzled $100M. What to go to Cancun for, say, a year?

"When he asked, I didn't probe really deeply into why he wanted me to cheat.[]if my friends asked me something, I will give him the benifit of the doubt and believe he really needs it. [] I don't feel its my place to question that. "

I've made the mistake of doing something like that twice in my life. I regret both times a lot, even though I wasn't caught. I was weak at the wrong times and didn't say no when I should have. I regret not having the stones to tell them I wouldn't do it (or at least weaseling out of helping each person cheat by making up some excuse, at least).
Old 04-19-2005, 05:30 PM

Default Re: Update

[ QUOTE ]
Friends don't ask friends to do things like that for them.

-Hey, buddy, I have 5 lbs of coke and my house is going to be raided. Can you hold onto my stash?
-Hey, I just murdered my girlfriend. You never liked the beeyatch, can you wash the hammer for me?
-Hey, I just embezzled $100M. What to go to Cancun for, say, a year?

"When he asked, I didn't probe really deeply into why he wanted me to cheat.[]if my friends asked me something, I will give him the benifit of the doubt and believe he really needs it. [] I don't feel its my place to question that. "

I've made the mistake of doing something like that twice in my life. I regret both times a lot, even though I wasn't caught. I was weak at the wrong times and didn't say no when I should have. I regret not having the stones to tell them I wouldn't do it (or at least weaseling out of helping each person cheat by making up some excuse, at least).

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone has different relationships, what you consider something a "friend wouldn't ask" isn't the same for me. If my friend asked me this college thing, it wouldn't be a big deal for me.
Different friendships and values.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:40 PM

Default Re: Cheating for a friend

[ QUOTE ]
i think next year he will get on scholarship. Also we are from Madison, so we get in state tuition.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, say it's 3 more years at ~$5K a year. That's $15,000 on the line to help him cheat on his midterm (or whatever). WTF were the two of you thinking?

Oh, right, "we'll never get caught".

And we haven't even discussed the repurcussions for your own academic career and finances. Plus the moral and ethical issues. And the likelihood of his classmates kicking your ass when one of you gets drunk and blabs about it over the keg.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:47 PM

Default Re: All you people are F\'n nuts!

You guys just keep putting ideas/concepts ahead of people.

I'm sure you will feel quite good when you finally realize they are all bullshit.
Old 04-19-2005, 07:27 PM

These conditions are not enough.
There are more:
It is a really good friend who will do this for you too (or done big favors for you before).
The friend will not get caught.
The friend will not rat you out or blackmail you under any circumstances.
Chances of all these are pretty low.
Old 04-19-2005, 07:54 PM

Default Re: All you people are F\'n nuts!

[ QUOTE ]
You guys just keep putting ideas/concepts ahead of people.

I'm sure you will feel quite good when you finally realize they are all bullshit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I figured theres no chance of him getting caught telling the 8 or so essays.

Are you in a disagreement ethically?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, of course.

[/ QUOTE ]

this opinion may be scewed from my age, but i think that if cheating on an exam that hundreds of people take is going to be too much against your morals, you better be out feeding starving 3rd world countries with peace corps, because knowing all those people are starving to death is going to rip your conscience apart...

in my previous post, i was hinting on the cheating punishment being now worth it.