Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2005, 06:11 AM

Default Re: My First Year as an Underage Poker Player (Long)

[ QUOTE ]
I just think it is pretty pathetic that people are so impressed that a high schooler can string together a few sentences.

[/ QUOTE ]
How frequently do you correspond with high school students? A coherent paragraph from a generation used to typing "how r u?" on IM is not the norm. When I taught calculus at an elite university, clear writing sometimes indicated a solid understanding of the subject. However, it often indicated plagiarism.
Old 04-14-2005, 07:36 AM

As usual, I'm inclined to agree with Diablo. I'm sure my quality of writing at 15 was as impressive. I suspect many posters feel the same.

However, I'm not taking anything away from Ogre. Sweet story. Best of luck with your money.
Old 04-14-2005, 11:45 AM

Very nice, sounds like you're handling yourself pretty well.

So why is Dave called NLSoldier if he plays SH limit?
Old 04-14-2005, 11:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So why is Dave called NLSoldier if he plays SH limit?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he's a big Master P fan.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
Old 04-14-2005, 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PS-He plays football which I'm pretty sure most people would call a "REAL" sport, and tennis, which is debatable [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
With the stats he posted I suggest skipping tennis and start some powerlifting/weightlifting along with the football which I think really would improve his football [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-14-2005, 12:19 PM

I think the 30 year old guy is forgetting when he was a kid or was at least in the minority of very good kids. In my experience whether its sex, drinking, smoking whatever people a couple of years under the legal limit participate/experiment in those things, for example I was drinking at times at 16/17 (limit is 18 here) even being in pubs etc its almost a part of growing up. I'm 32 so at a similar age to him.

Although that doesnt mean we should encourage all kids to gamble undeage, I think the op has a few things in his favour, based on his writing.

His brother and parents are aware and so can monitor his activity, better than him locking himself in his room and doing it secretly.

He does seem level headed and mature based on his writing and thoughts, it would seem he has been dillegent in improving and studying his game, hopefully not at the expense of his education but I suspect if that was impacted the family involvement would stop that.

I think that those saying about exersise are right but lets face it most 16-17 year old kids are sitting in front of playstations/tv's/computers getting kids that age out for runs isnt normal at least he is doing somthing productive.

For my part at that age I was earning $50 a week on Youth Training was starting to be rubbish at managing money and by 18 was getting into debt due to my lack of money management skills, the op is getting a good lesson in money management as well as giving himself a good start in life.

My stepson is 13 and getting to the stage where there are things that could go wrong, however out of anything I would rather he learned to play poker and waste some time doing that than hanging round street corners with gangs of lads drinking smoking and experimenting with drugs, there are worse things the op could be doing.
Old 04-14-2005, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Congratulations, I hope you use some of your winnings taking out hot high school girls. See if you can get a senior.

[/ QUOTE ] lol
Old 04-14-2005, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
" agree with the other posters. Save it up, invest it, let it grow. By the time you graduate from high school, your college could be paid for."

This statement alone leads me to believe that everyone in this thread is under 21.

The only thing you can invest this kind of money into at 15 that's going "pay" for a college education 4 years later is drugs. I'm not talking about celebrex.

This thread is disturbing. Not to mention, only dorks thought cars were going to get them chicks in High School.

Kid,

If you're a pimply faced 15 year old you should get outside and run a couple laps around the block. You're going to get fat from sitting at a computer desk all day. 15, fat, pimply does not equal chicks. Doesn't matter if you're Bill Goetz in a fruckin space shuttle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, girls at 15 are dorks too. It's not like he has to be James Bond to be slick enough. Will a nice car get chicks at 15? Hell, it doesn't hurt at 40.

P.S. -- we have to assume he's not a total disgusting cretin. Most people aren't. I'm not sure who you think you're aiming your advice to. I detect not a little jealousy.
Old 04-14-2005, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What impresses me most about your post is that you write far better than most high school students do.

[/ QUOTE ]
He writes far better than most college undergraduates -- at least the ones I have taught. This kid is impressive on many different levels. That being said: don't let it go to yr head kid!

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. He writes better than a great many college kids do, too.
Old 04-14-2005, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This has nothing to do with you or your post. I just think it is pretty pathetic that people are so impressed that a high schooler can string together a few sentences. That's all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, the public school system really is that bad. And in some of it(like in California), you literally don't even have to learn English for years on end.