Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2005, 05:32 AM

Default Re: I never heard Rush Limbaugh say anything racist.

[ QUOTE ]
I'll tkae your word that Limbaugh sees it as trying to tear down current America. While I haven't listened very much to Limbaugh, if he's anything like the other conservatives on the radio I have listened to (Hannity, Elder, Ingraham (sp.?), Medved, Savage, Prager), he feels anything that isn't 100% complimentary is indeed trying to tear down the country. And that's just poppycock.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've listened to Rush, Hannity, and Savage plenty of times. I certainly don't agree with all of their opinions on certain issues, I'm more of a Libertarian, but they all tend to have the same underlying opinion of what makes America great and what America needs to continue to be great.

Savage is the most... hostile... of the bunch, but he does make many good points and isn't afraid to say it. When he says things such as America NEEDS English as a main/only language to survive, there is logical truth to that. America is one of (the?) most diverse nations on the face of the entire Earth, and one of the few things the various diverse citizens have in common is the belief in America and freedom and a common language. It's easy to use Canada as an example of what two languages/mindsets can do to a country, although California isn't a bad example either. It is hard for me to imagine going to an Autozone to grab a car part and not being able to find someone who speaks English well enough to understand me. I know people in California who this has happened to. And it will help destroy the country if it continues.

Savage also is a prominent supporter of closing the borders, and, again, reading about the constant problems with illegal aliens, particularly in California, his comments seem justified. What kind of moron governor gives illegal aliens driver's licenses? It's absurd. Maybe there's some truth to "midwestern common sense," I don't know, but some of the stuff going on in this country is truth stranger than fiction.

Tangent: some states have laws that don't allow people to pump their own gas because they think the citizens are too stupid to do so properly. Stuff like this is amazing to me.

I feel priviledged to have been born a United States' citizen, and while I can have empathy for non-born citizens trying to live here, what's best for the country must come first, because if the country ceases to exist, then we all have a problem.

And I'll cut some naysayers off at the pass. My area is one of the biggest areas for Hmong immigrants. People around here simply DO NOT CARE what race you are. All that matters is if you are a good person and that you put forth the effort to interact with everyone else. If you are a moron, a jackass, or expect to be treated differently because of the color of your skin, sorry, you're on your own.

Getting back to it, Savage especially criticizes Bush. More than I think he deserves, but hey. I mean, Savage really lets him have it on some issues. Rush may tow the company line a bit, but I think that's probably because he knows the alternative (Democract/liberal) would be far worse. It's important to remember that these people are not politicians begging for your vote. They are citizens who want what's best for America. Having read the entire "Ought To Be" chapter again compared to the one-line "racist" sentence taken from it, it's easy to see what is really going on. If someone thinks Rush is a racist, go read "The Way Things Ought To Be" and then decide. You are not giving the man a fair shake otherwise.
Old 03-15-2005, 05:54 AM

I've read both his books(the way things ought to be and see I told you so), and I concluded that he was a racist.
Old 03-15-2005, 05:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If it's that simple, please explain to me what looting and blowing up a movie theater have to do with skipping school to watch a movie about an influential figure, please.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure. If you encourage kids to defy rules and laws, then it has a decent chance of encouraging them to defy other rules and laws. Such as looting or shooting people. The misbehavior will often only get worse as they grow older and have more freedoms. Some of that may have been hyperbole, but it is to show a point.

To turn it around, you could tell me why a kid should be encouraged to skip school to see a movie, whether that movie is about an influential figure or not. I don't think you can, because kids should not be encouraged to skip school.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
you don't have to burn crosses on someone's lawn to be a racist -

but don't tell Rush or his followers - let them find out the hard way when they become the minority race in the country....LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt they'd care. Look at how many minorities Republicans try to elect to positions or how many Bush has in his cabinet. Then look at how many Clinton had. Did anyone call Clinton "racist?" Nope. Democrats have shot down plenty of Republican minority appointees. If the tide was turned, everyone would be calling Republicans racist for doing the same thing.

Some people just don't get it. For good (true equality) or bad (no affirmative action), conservatives DON'T CARE what color someone is. It is liberals who try to separate everyone based on class or skin color.

When Rush thought Spike Lee was a nutjob for telling kids to skip school to go see his movie and put money in his pocket, it wasn't because Rush doesn't think the movie has merit or the figures involved don't have merit, but because of the simple fact that the more you encourage kids to lack discipline and defy rules, the more they will do it as adults. If Spike had told the kids to go see his movie on a weekend, I doubt Rush would have said anything. What kind of dumbass encourages kids to skip school and defy rules, no matter the reason? If you want to promote misbehavior and crime, that's a good start.

I'll say it again because so many people don't get it. Conservatives DON'T CARE what color someone is. Liberals separate this class from that class, this race deserves this more than that race, etc. Liberals are constantly segregating people. If you're a black moviemaker moron who encourages kids to skip school, you're not a moron because you're black or because you're a moviemaker. You're a moron because you encourage kids to skip school.

Next thing you know, someone will say not giving driver's licenses to illegal aliens is "racist"....

[/ QUOTE ]
So Strom Thurmond, Jesse Helms, and Trent Lott were never concerned about people's skin color? Could have fooled me...

[/ QUOTE ]

How about Robert Byrd? Oh yeah he's allowed to recant his KKK membership and people are expected to move on. I think in 2002 Byrd used the term "white nigger" trying to justify his former allegance. According to Byrd "nigger" is a term that transcends race. Puhleeze. Disgraceful really. Why can a douche bag like Byrd disavow his past and someone like Lott can't? And while we're on the subject are there any blacks in the Democratic party who are racist? Oh I forgot it's not politically correct to point out that there are indeed blacks that are racist. I love it when the Democrats play the race card in such high and mighty tones because it's so much baloney. The problem is that they're dealing that card from the bottom of the deck.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:24 AM

Good point.

But you'll find very few liberals that defend Byrd's past.

I certainly don't, and I think that he would be much more at home in the Republican Party with Lott and Helms. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Hopefully Byrd will die soon and we won't have to deal with him anymore.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:57 AM

Please give me a current sociologically accepted definition of race (taking into account its structural component and its cultural constructivity) that allows for black folk to be "racist." Oh wait, you can't. Better luck next time.

You see, any old jackass can be a jerk, but "racism" isn't about people being jerks, despite what some might tell you. Racism has to do with institutional forms, broadly structured hierarchies and delicately maintained power imbalances. "Racism" as commonly understood is just a particularly bald manifestation of a far more intirinsic, complex and dare I say insidious process.

You know very little, Mr. adios. Adios.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:58 AM

Wow, are you really this dumb, or just for the sake of argument?

And why defend RL anyway? The man is a mental midget and a moral microbe.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Please give me a current sociologically accepted definition of race (taking into account its structural component and its cultural constructivity) that allows for black folk to be "racist." Please give me a current sociologically accepted definition of race (taking into account its structural component and its cultural constructivity) that allows for black folk to be "racist." Oh wait, you can't.

[/ QUOTE ]

See definition below. To be a "racist" all a black person has to do is hold the beliefs described. Would you actually claim that that no black person holds such beliefs? Not a credible claim at all.

[ QUOTE ]
Racism has to do with institutional forms, broadly structured hierarchies and delicately maintained power imbalances.

[/ QUOTE ]

That might have been partially true many decades ago and before the civil rights movement but it is patently false today. At any rate, that is far from the definition of racism. And even if you argue the above as being an indirect result of racism, you cannot claim it as a comprehensive description of racism (nor even a comprehensive descrtiption of racism in action). That is one reason you cannot go from that assertion to the claim that blacks cannot be racist. Another reason is simply that ANYONE can be racist depending upon the beliefs they hold (again, see definition below).

[ QUOTE ]
"Racism" as commonly understood is just a particularly bald manifestation of a far more intirinsic, complex and dare I say insidious process.

[/ QUOTE ]

An amazingly convoluted theory, and in my opinion largely contrived. Is this the sort of balderdash that is commonly taught in colleges today? Again please see definition below.

Main Entry: rac·ism
Pronunciation: 'rA-"si-z&m also -"shi-
Function: noun
1 : a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race
2 : racial prejudice or discrimination
- rac·ist /-sist also -shist/ noun or adjective
Old 03-15-2005, 09:50 AM

Default And steamy

[ QUOTE ]
Dear Cyrus ... God willing ... worth the good fight ... carry forth, good Cyrus ... Tally ho, my good man!

[/ QUOTE ]

First the big ones. The li'l ones go down easier after the big ones. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
You just go right ahead and try to speed up progress, if you see things the other way! Just pronounce every word you can, in everyday speech, in the most ignorant manner you can possibly devise.

[/ QUOTE ]

You still don't get it. Language is not changed "artificially" like that. If I start pronouncing a word in some peculiar way of my liking, the new pronounciation will not automatically spread! There are other factors necessary for that --but I'll let you find them on your own.

[ QUOTE ]
Just don't be disappointed when those ridiculous pronunciations and usages never become mainstream, OK?

[/ QUOTE ]

Non ridere, non luggere, sed intelligere. There is nothing to ridicule or be disappointed about! "We should only try to understand". If an English gentleman was to come back from early 19th century and listen to how the Queen's English is used and pronounced in England now (even by the residents of Buckingham Palace) he would have an apoplexy.

[ QUOTE ]
No way will "aks" end up replacing "ask", nor will "burl" ever replace "boil", across mainstream America.

[/ QUOTE ]

No way?? This is (how can I put this delicately) an ignorant statement of the first order.

[ QUOTE ]
Simply put, the vast majority [of the] rest of the country knows that pronunciation is just plain wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

When the legend becomes fact, print the legend. And when the wrong usage becomes the norm, the wrong becomes right.

I'll let Mathers elaborate. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 03-15-2005, 10:57 AM

Default Re: And steamy

[ QUOTE ]

When the legend becomes fact, print the legend. And when the wrong usage becomes the norm, the wrong becomes right.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is true to some extent, BUT it isn't going to happen with "ask"/"ax" and "boil"/"burl". Obviously.