Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2005, 05:23 AM

Default Re: New No Tolerance Policy at Commerce

[ QUOTE ]
PS I find the argument (often made by top pros and management) that the constantly abusive player is often the live one and that games would break if they are kicked out to be another example of short term thinking. IMO if the atmosphere was cleaned up you would have a lot more wealthy, very live, "good for the game" customers over time. But the big game might break that night.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is certainly the way I interpret the health of the Borgata cardroom relative to other rooms in AC. They provided an environment that people with good jobs could enjoy, they came, they enjoyed themselves, and they keep playing higher.

scrub
Old 01-29-2005, 05:34 AM

Location: \"Let me make it nearly unanimous -- misplayed on every street.\"
Default Re: Automatic Shufflers and Dealer Abuse

I am starting to notice a slight increase in trying to get 'set-ups' lately. Hopefully that will plateau.

That will only go down if they start getting rid of the darn Gemaco cards. The cards are mark happy, thankfully it's all of the cards and not just the aces.
Old 01-29-2005, 10:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
These people also still ask the dealer to give the deck a "wash" before putting it in the machine if they are running bad and want a deck change, even though when using the machines, decks are alternated on every hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually had an incident two days ago. I sit down in 1 of our 3 tables that has a machine. The 1 seat asks me to scramble the cards each time before placing them in the machine. I politley tell her, "no ma'am, we're not allowed to do that". She says "other dealers are doing it". Where upon I told here I was a full time regular, not a temporary hired for the tournament. I told her it wasnt worth being written up for it. And she kept crying. I then told her that if she was my boss I would follow her directives too.
It was at this point that she said she was a dealer and will just not toke me.

Good. She obviously isnt much of a dealer. As good dealers find out early on in their careers, never give a dealer a hard time, never blame the dealer for your cards, ask dont tell, dont be a whiner.

Naturally after 3 1/2 weeks of dealing every day of our WPO she was broke from playing bad each and every day.

To scramble the cards on a machine table goes against the very point of having them.

I do however always "bring them in" in a slightly scrambled fashion. But our house rule is they do NOT get scrambled.
Old 01-29-2005, 07:16 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
But our house rule is they do NOT get scrambled.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stupid rule.

It's really no big deal and doesn't take much longer to scramble. Yes, it is pointless in regards to the machine and why you have it, however, if it placates some of your paranoid 'clients' you're dealing with, it's not too much to do.

I hardly notice if they scramble at my room. Some do, some don't. Do what you have to to keep the donators there.

b
Old 01-30-2005, 03:34 AM

Default The Policy Inaction [sic]

Snakehead reports there was a "bad fight" between two competitiors in a big game on Friday night and the floorman . . . gave them each twenty minutes!
Old 01-30-2005, 03:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
These people also still ask the dealer to give the deck a "wash" before putting it in the machine

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. The other day some moron stopped the game to have the floor called to see if it was mandatory that they had to scramble the cards before putting them in the machine. I think some people say crap like this, especially some semi regulars as this guy was plus a few others, to hold up the game.

I am starting to notice a slight increase in trying to get 'set-ups' lately. Hopefully that will plateau.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

Getting a new "set-up" drives me insane. Every ~30 minutes at Lucky Chances the same schmuck asks for a new setup. Unless the cards are bent or marked or something, I can't see how players asking few a new set of decks every 2 orbits is good/profitable for anyone. This needs to go away imo.

Brad
Old 01-30-2005, 05:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't see how players asking few a new set of decks every 2 orbits is good/profitable for anyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

actually, it's +EV for the morons that ask for the change since it stops them from losing their money to better players during that time.

not that they know that...
Old 01-30-2005, 08:07 AM

I honestly dont get it. Every room I play has at least one if not several regular a$$holes. They toss cards, abuse players, berate dealers and generally make everyone want to be somewhere else. I really dont care if the professional idiots leak a little cash because I may or may not be on the receiving end that night and I still have to listen and watch the hours of abuse.

Why cant the cardrooms just face the music elsewhere? Why not intercept the spike-haired, mirror-eyed rat-faced weasel described above at the main entrance and bounce him around the parking lot for a while? Why hire all those goons and never give them anything to punch? Where's the justice? Better yet, televise it via closed circuit into the poker room. Have two big ex-linebackers play hackeysack with the guy while the poker players get to bet in a pool predicting the number of days he spends in hospital.
Old 01-30-2005, 01:04 PM

The problem with all of these rules about no tolerance / time-outs is that the penalties are NOT equally applied.

I flopped a flush on a lady who had pocket Aces and she called me down to the river and when I flipped over my hand, she wacked me rather hard on the back of the head. Granted, I don't think she was trying to hurt me, and I'm a big dude and she was like 150 years old. A floor person saw it and told her to not touch other players.

I didn't want to press the issue as I hate to be a jerk but if I hit someone, I'd get arrested -- she wacks me as hard as she can and gets reprimanded.

As long as the rules are clear and equally applicable, that's fine. When things are adjusted, that's wrong.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com
Old 01-30-2005, 02:54 PM

The basic rule of the cardroom is that the rules are not equally applied. There's one set of rules for tipping regulars and another (or two or three) for everybody else. Obviously, that's true not just for cardrooms. Hitting another player in anger ought to be immediate, permanent banishment.

On another note, with the tournament in full swing in Commerce, the games are filled with people I've never seen before. And the decks are coming up with fingernailed cards at an ungodly pace. Hmmm . . .