Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2005, 02:15 AM

Default Re: results and a comment

[ QUOTE ]
as for all the pussy and dick talk it's about poker ego and confidence. it's a man's game, it requires eagerness to take someone's money, to f*ck someone over with lies, it's a head game. that's what makes it fun, it's deceptive macho character. im sure youre all just sipping high tea and pondering out upon the rainy cityscape there at holiday inn vancouver waiting for QQ or better, but down here we're rolling around in the heat and smog and trying to kill each other thank you very much.

[/ QUOTE ]

what is "high tea" and why would you want to merely sip it?

~ rick
Old 01-10-2005, 02:20 AM

"I didn't make Sklansky's top 50 2+2'ers"

Don't I remember seeing you listed among 2+2ers Sklanksy felt could write a great poker book? If he did say it, he was right. If he didn't say it, he should have.
Old 01-10-2005, 02:22 AM

"when the flop betting stopped i was about 85-90% sure i had the winner and he was drawing thin."

Sounds good- but with the description of your opponanat aren't there several cards that could come on the turn that you could c/r him with if you are this sure you are ahead?
Old 01-10-2005, 02:39 AM

oh yeah that's right... he mumbled something like that once...you just put Sklansky in my good books again...heh
Old 01-10-2005, 02:59 AM

"make that a 10 Oz. cut with a spud and all trimmings and you have got a deal."

of course! whatever you like would be well worth the privilege of dining together and talking.

plus we'll try and get a home game together. just wait until you see this gabe guy play 2-7 td and padoogi! now there's something to talk about!
Old 01-10-2005, 03:03 AM

"No Clark"

i was just thinking oops i forgot him and then i thought nah he can go fu*ck himself.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:06 AM

Default no poker content just tea content

"High Tea is often a misnomer. Most people refer to afternoon tea as high tea because they think it sounds regal and lofty, when in all actuality, high tea, or "meat tea" is dinner. High tea, in Britain, at any rate, tends to be on the heavier side. American hotels and tea rooms, on the other hand, continue to misunderstand and offer tidbits of fancy pastries and cakes on delicate china when they offer a "high tea.""

there's more (like what is low tea) here:

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Histo...TeaHistory.htm

cheers, mike
Old 01-10-2005, 03:13 AM

Default when to say when and no turn checkraise

"How many bets before you stop?"

good question. it's either 9 or 11 and then i just call. he almost had me saying uncle. then the question becomes whether to call down or not. maybe skp's right things can get complicated. if i hadnt of been so darn sure i was good there though i wouldve never went to 8 bets so maybe ive overplayed the information gaining aspect of the flop frenzy.

oh there's one more important thing we never touched on and that's the fact that if he had a great made hand like a straight or a set he would be much more likely to slowplay it a bit until the turn, especially once he saw i liked my hand. after 8 bets though the idea of him now suddenly waiting for the turn to extract even more from me is a bit far fetched.

however the poster above who says why didnt i try for a checkraise on the turn has a point. but there are two reasons i didnt:

one is the momentum i built up on the flop just screams dark bet time. the guy's a nice favorite to have A7 leaving a full 5 cards i dont want to see peel. plus the dark bet is a nice cocky style touch and having other players fear me is profitable and fun.

second reason not to checkraise the turn. even this guy may back off and be suspicious and a little flumoxed at himself for going off so badly on the turn and he will check behind something like A7 there.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:30 AM

Default Re: when to say when and no turn checkraise

"one is the momentum i built up on the flop just screams dark bet time. the guy's a nice favorite to have A7 leaving a full 5 cards i dont want to see peel."

Are you saying that if an A or a 7 falls you might find youself just checkcalling the turn if you don't already have chips ready to pounce? Because you betting aint gonna stop that card from being an A or a 7.

"even this guy may back off and be suspicious and a little flumoxed at himself for going off so badly on the turn and he will check behind something like A7 there."

This was mostly my question- i don't play with lags, in fact here in the midwest we have the anti-lag syndrome. Last night Victor and i were playing in a game with three guys who were lags less than 10 months ago- but after sitting in loose passive games time, after time, after time, they too have been forced into this mold. In fact the three most aggressive guys in the room were in order.
1. Victor
2. Tolbiny
3. The guy on the waiting list who was reading WLLH in the back of the room.

"plus the dark bet is a nice cocky style touch and having other players fear me is profitable and fun."

Dude i think checkraising after 8 betting the flop is way cockier, and much more fun.
Is it more profitable?
Old 01-10-2005, 03:44 AM

Default Re: when to say when and no turn checkraise

"Dude i think checkraising after 8 betting the flop is way cockier, and much more fun. Is it more profitable?"

i dont think so. i think he wouldve checked the turn if i checked. i think i freaked him by not stopping on the flop and i think he thought i had a straight or a set.

"you betting aint gonna stop that card from being an A or a 7."

true. i guess i wouldve just had to deal with that card if it came. if he thought i had a straight or set he wouldnt raise anyway with two pair. he'd bet if i checked though if he had two pair.

i think ive exhausted everything there is to say on this one. i guess what's happened several times is ive gotten in these flop pissing matches and always felt mighty dumb when i ignored my strong read i had the nuts and slowed down first. there was an ATs hand i had at commerce earlier this year where i stopped at like ten bets and it turned out i had the guy drawing to 5 outs and another i never posted where i went like 20 bets on the flop with some guy with A5 on an A52 board or something and he had AK and i felt dumb then too. in both cases i knew i was ahead but some pussy part of me made me stop too soon. oh wait there was one more playing 200-400 where went like 6 or 7 bets and the board was A64 and i had AK and he had AQ and i stopped first. omg i just want to scream thinking about it.

oh well maybe ill do it right tomorrow. commerce here i come.