Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2004, 02:11 PM

Default Re: A very interesting response....

[ QUOTE ]
What if I only distributed it to 2+2ers....or those that could verify that they've read about my product on 2+2[?]

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHA! You could do it like this:

----------
PR3FL0P B0T 1.0 ORDAR FORM

__ YES! Please send me teh Pr3fl0p B0t software so that I can use it to violate the TOS of my favorite onl1ne POKAR site. I have included my check for $49.95. By checking here I certify that I have completed the qualifying quiz without any outside help and that I am incapable of putting in the effort to become a better poker player and just want a machine to do all the work for me.

Name:____________________
Address:____________________
City:____________________
State:____________________
ZIP::____________________

Qualifying Quiz:
Where does the brown trout sleep?

Can I ask about getting a rakeback deal?

Does anyone in fact have a Party reload code?
Old 12-30-2004, 02:32 PM

Default Re: Preflop Bot

[ QUOTE ]
I think you are full of [censored]. You didn't make a bot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, considering Luv2DriveTT's post, maybe the guy's speaking for his client.
Old 12-30-2004, 06:25 PM

Default Re: Preflop Bot

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In the discussion so far some people have distinguished between the pre-programmed decision making and the actual "button pushing," but others have not. If you take out the button-pushing aspect, this becomes the same as PokerInspector.

[/ QUOTE ]

You make a very good point. In defense of button-pushing, I'd say this: I think the intent of the rule against bots is to prevent unscrupulous characters from settting up their bots to play the tables while they go off for a night on the town or whatever else they want to do.

By limiting a bot's "button pushing" to preflop actions only, the author would essentially eliminate the ability for the bot to make money while the human is away. The human would have to be present and making decisions constantly postflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the player has to be there anyways (to play post-flop), there is little or no reason to eliminate that first button push. Existing (and legal) programs can be used just as well to help you with preflop hand selection, as well as postflop actions.

I think the main objection to bots is that people don't want others setting one (or more) up to 8-table 24x7, while they are nowhere near the computer. Personally I think the best way to stop this type of abuse is for the sites to take a clue from other online sites that don't want programs accessing their content. You want to check for available tickets on ticketmaster.com, you look at a jpg of some letters that are all warped and have to type in what letters they are. This is a difficult task for a program to do, but relatively easy for a human. If pokersites occasionally popped up a dialog box with one of these types of problems, and the player could not act on any table until it was answered correctly, it would keep unattended bots from playing. It could even be targetted somewhat, perhaps picking more on people with longer continuous sessions and more than one table open, but should not be restricted to those.

If the person is going to sit there at the computer the whole time, then I see little difference between playing with the assistance of something like PokerInspector and letting a bot play for you the exact same way. All it does is make it slightly more difficult for the player to override and do something different.

You've already got something (PokerInspector) that you configure with your handselections and desired actions, and that looks at the table+action and tells you what you should do, putting the recommended action in a little box in the window. It is then extremely easy to write your own separate program that looks at the PI window, reads the box that says "Fold" or "Raise", and then switches over to the table window and actually pushes the corresponding button. In this scenario, which is the pokerbot? PokerInspector is just recommending something, but not actually performing any action. The other program knows nothing of poker and just looks at one window to send a message to another window. Sure, together they are a bot, but which do you ban? The first has plenty of legitimate uses, and the second is so easy to write it wouldn't need to be bought, but rather could be custom written by anyone who wanted it. This is where checking that there is an actual human at the computer is good. If there is (perhaps using the jpg method above), then you can't really complain, because whether it's a program doing the read/push or a human doing the read/push, the end result would be the same play. You could hire some HS kid and pay him $10/hr to do the same function for you.
Old 12-30-2004, 08:50 PM

Default Re: A very interesting response....

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What if I only distributed it to 2+2ers....or those that could verify that they've read about my product on 2+2[?]

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHA! You could do it like this:

----------
PR3FL0P B0T 1.0 ORDAR FORM

__ YES! Please send me teh Pr3fl0p B0t software so that I can use it to violate the TOS of my favorite onl1ne POKAR site. I have included my check for $49.95. By checking here I certify that I have completed the qualifying quiz without any outside help and that I am incapable of putting in the effort to become a better poker player and just want a machine to do all the work for me.

Name:____________________
Address:____________________
City:____________________
State:____________________
ZIP::____________________

Qualifying Quiz:
Where does the brown trout sleep?

Can I ask about getting a rakeback deal?

Does anyone in fact have a Party reload code?

[/ QUOTE ]

ROFL [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-01-2005, 09:00 PM

Default Thanks for all the responses...

I appreciate all of the responses and they generally don't surprise me. For now, at least for the near term, my preflop bot will not be available to the public. Instead, I am going to use my work to create something for public distribution that will be very useful and should be noncontroversial. I'll keep you posted on the status (if you don't mind).
Old 01-02-2005, 05:02 PM

Default Re: Thanks for all the responses...

Toast, if you offered this product, I'd buy.

Not because I think I call too often, or because it would help me fold when I should, but because it's annoying having a screen pop up, only to have to locate and punch the fold button. Something like 80% of the time the only action I take is to punch that damn button, and having someone to do it for me would take a lot of the drudgery out of my game.

Having said that, I've almost gotten to the point now where I almost do it automatically - like when you're driving home after work and you realize you don't remember the drive. Sometimes I don't remember having folded a hand, and I have to check to make sure I haven't timed out.

Another benefit is those times you have to get up to piss or something.

You wouldn't be nearly as likely to time out if you had this program working for you.

I'd have no moral qualms about using it. As far as I'm concerned, it'd be doing what I'm doing anyway, only making it less tedious.

I agree that Party would consider this a "bot."

They have nothing to gain from this program, and making fine distinctions between this one and others would only make their job harder.

However, this isn't the program they're worried about - like others said, it's the (winning) program that lets users walk away from their computer that will kill the game.

People who are worried about their financial interests should concentrate their efforts on Sklansky, Malmuth, and others, who've done way more to turn bad players into good ones than this program ever could.
Old 01-02-2005, 06:40 PM

Linus, do you think it's good to let bad or average player to have such tool? I think more than 50% of your profit comes from players who are
- don't know how to play preflop
- on tilt
This program will give them nice possibility to follow some rules. People at winholdem forum exchange with their 'formulas' and collectively produce winning bot.
Do you like some average guy who previously called you raises with junk to obtain this 'preflop bot' and choose some collectively written 'tight-aggressive full game' preset to have this thing think for him?
Of course you may say that adapting to specific game/knowledge that opponent's is using bot with preset 'tight-aggressive full game' still gives you an advantage. But I don't think this will be bigger edge than just having opponent calling your raises with dominated hands.
I don't like this bot idea because it's another 'leveling' tool which make game less profitable.
Low limit games at Party are now 5% (flop seen) tighter than 1 year ago. Is there more multitablers these days? I think no, abous the same share. I think it is because of broader usage of half-bots like PokerInspector. Bots, especially 'preflop bots' are bad for online poker.
Old 01-04-2005, 04:41 PM

I feel the same way. I detest tedious, repetitive work. If I don't quit playing poker, I will eventually go insane from constantly wasting time hitting that F'ing fold button over and over and over and over and wait, a hand! It's a huge waste of time and energy and takes away from the real game.

I'm currently writing my own personal fold bot. I (as in me, a human) will tell it exactly which hands to fold.

If there's any hand that's sensitive to context (T9s for example) it will do nothing. I'll make the decision. If there's AA, it will do nothing. I will make the decision. If there's a 72o it will fold automatically and not bother me.

I get very pissed when computers repeatedly ask me something they ought to know the answer to because the answer is always the same! FOLD 72o and stop bothering me!!!
Old 01-12-2005, 10:49 AM

Default Preflop Bot for Pacific Poker

I have a working fold-only preflop bot for Pacific Poker. It's awesome! I don't have to set my sandwich down to hit the fold button anymore! I don't have to rush back from the bathroom just to hit the fold button anymore! Now, whenever I hear the warning bell, I know there's a high chance of a playable hand. All it does is look for a folding opportunity during preflop. If there's a hand that possibly shouldn't be folded, it doesn't do anything. It only folds obvious stuff that I told it to fold.

Now I'm going to make one for Party Poker so I can do four tables at once without my forefinger getting sore!
[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]