Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2004, 04:04 AM

Default Re: Barry seems quite full of himself.

wow i thought i was a big fan of doyle! and i thought barry's rankings were a lot more reespectful than folks calling him the edge and such, and overall pretty good comapred to some of the others. oh and btw i dont think cloutier is one of the top 8 players in the world jmho though, juanda was in this tournament?
Old 12-16-2004, 04:29 AM

Default Re: Sound about right?? Mason??

UH, what tournament?? OK look guys Id love to come in here and take a dump all over ANgry bc we have had our differences but the reality is: GREENSTEIN HAS WON AS MUCH OR MORE MONEY THAN ANYONE ELSE IN SIDE GAMES OVER THE LAST 5-7 YEARS.

Ok, this isnt verifiable. It isnt an absolute truth in so much as anyone can prove it ; but it is an understood fact among the big game players and Bellagio dealers(I personally grew up around 1 who rotates in the big game occasionally)

Caveat-I do not play Bellagio(or even high stakes poker for that matter) and DO NOT know any of the players this is simply HEARSAY

For what it is worth according to him--(white male ~26 yrs old...)

Other winners of late(~ 24 months):
Chau Giang(does real well),
Reese(just doesnt have HORRIBLE NIGHTS so is always a winner for the long term)
Harmon who is basically the grinder of the gang,
Ivey...makes alot, AND
Todd Brunson (of late very hot).

NOT WINNERS: Hanson,
Beale([img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]),
Doyle(over the last 18 months a net loser sorry)
That dirty quebecois husband,...

I think Vahedi might have lasted like 2 months in this game or soemthing and got busted awhile back(not clear if it was the big game or just "big games" at Bellagio.

Lyle Berman and a few other players sort of hover in between profitability and marginal losses..most of them are so wealthy they really dont keep track unless they lose 7 figures in a month.
Old 12-16-2004, 04:42 AM

Default Re: Barry Greenstein Critiques Top Players in the World

Doyle Brunson gets a 5 for Aggressiveness?

This confirms that I am entirely out of the loop. Not that I wasn't painfully aware of that in the first place.
Old 12-16-2004, 06:29 AM

What does it take to get a "10"? He says Phil Ivey is the best tournament player in the world and gives him a 9.
Old 12-16-2004, 06:55 AM

If you are a winning high stakes poker player, nothing is cooler than keeping a very low profile. Barry Greenstein used to be cool, but then he decided to tell world how successful he is. Not that cool.

Chau Giang is the coolest of all high stakes players right now. Sure, he decided to try to appear on a televised event (and succeeded), but he did it for a sweet reason: “My daughter asked me, ‘daddy, why are you never on TV?’” [not an exact quote] Cute.

Finally, let me say something about BG:s charity. Giving money to your already wealthy schools has about as much to do with charity as buying a Rolex. If you are going to give a lot of money to charities and brag about it, why not give to causes in real need? (I know he has done that, too)
Old 12-16-2004, 07:16 AM

????

WOW people can bad mouth BG here.....but not even insinuate Raymer isnt the best player ever. This one really takes the cake. Dude gives zillions away to VERY VERY needy children in the 3rd world and you zing him??

I wasnt even aware he gave a University alot of $$ but his alma mater is Illinois(to be sure a 1st tier public university especially in comp sci-his area-they did netscape) not exactly like he was giving cash to Cornell, Brown or Stanford. Im sure Illinois can find a useful way to dispense with a million or two...perhaps an actual fball program...just a thought.

Alot of jealousy around here. Giang is a pimp though and man he has some CUTE kids, did you guys see them just adorable. Chau is definitely a guy you can root for and I loved watching him dispatch with Williamson after a few opportune suckouts by the worlds best bariatric patient(man he looks totally different).
Old 12-16-2004, 07:49 AM

I don't like Raymer, he seems to be an extremely unlikable guy. And good players don't ask the internet for stake. I never said BG is anything but a great player.

I'm just saying it's stupid to give away a lot of money to your old school and call it charity. It's all about telling your old community how successful you've become. BG is not alone here. Just an opinion.

Sure, he gives a lot of dough to people in need. Good. I wish those who give to charities could make less noise about it. Then one could believe it was out of generosity and not to promote one self.

Whenever someone has a negative opinion about what some famous player does it's called "jealousy". I take such statments very lightly. They mean nothing.
Old 12-16-2004, 07:55 AM

Where does BG call giving ILLINOIS $$$ charity?? Im a HUGE BG fan and wasnt even aware BG gave ILLINOIS anything. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Even if it was publicized....believe me ILL can use the dough as I said its a public university and has some world class depts (ELECT ENG, COMP SCI, ACCOUNTING--all top 10 in the nation)
Old 12-16-2004, 08:23 AM

Default Re: Barry seems quite full of himself.

People are taking this post seriously because... a guy who calls himself "HACK" is usually someone with well-researched opinions based on his own experience?

I don't follow.

~D
Old 12-16-2004, 08:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are a winning high stakes poker player, nothing is cooler than keeping a very low profile. Barry Greenstein used to be cool, but then he decided to tell world how successful he is. Not that cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's like saying it's "Not that cool" for Michael Jordan to be honest about the fact that he's great at basketball.

Would it be "cooler" if BG were eager to hide his ability? It doesn't seem to me that he's adamant about hyping himself at every opportunity like some players are (e.g., Hellmuth).