Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2004, 01:57 AM

Default Re: Chapter 2

you guys are all wrog when you say he loses .02$/roll

there is a .002% difference in expectation between the guy and the house.

.001% of the difference is the money the guy expects to lose the other .001% is the house's expected win. the .002% is the sum of the house's expected win and his expected loss.
Old 08-29-2004, 02:23 AM

Default Re: Chapter 4

Sepp says:

1: Sepp is tight as a rock and prefers to fold unless he has a good first 3 cards. So he would rather pay only a small ante to see cards he will probably muck on 3rd street.

2: This hand is better in a large ante game since most alot of it's value lies in drawing to the straight/flush the will win even if the pot is multiway. So I would rather begin the hand with a fair bit of money in the pot so that A) the pot offers you good odds to see 4th street with your draw and B) other players are also encouraged to see 4th so you have better pot odds for your draw.
Old 08-29-2004, 03:28 AM

Actually, I think you are mistaken Sepp.

over 100k rolls, our hero will win 49999 of them, netting 99998 for a total return of $99,998,000. Of course he has to wager 100k x 1k = $100,000,000 for a net loss of $2k. Over 100k hands, this works out to $.02 per hand. $2.40 an hour with 120 RPH.
Old 08-29-2004, 06:49 AM

Default What Games Are You Trying To Win Pots

"Sklansky states on p. 6 “You may occasionally be in a game where the best strategy is to win as many pots as possible, but such games are exceptions.” What type of game conditions would make this strategy optimal? "

I was speaking of games where players play too tight. They do exist in spite of what astroglide says.
Old 08-29-2004, 08:52 AM

Default Re: What Games Are You Trying To Win Pots

I was at one again last week -- FAR too tight, OVER half the hands were chopped by the blinds and just about any pre-flop raise picked up said blinds.

They DO exist.

But they are a rarity.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com
Old 08-29-2004, 12:16 PM

In the 4/8 mini blinds the blinds only total 3/8 of a big bet.
But it is cheap to see the flop.

I think you should play tithgter if you are one of the first ones entering the pot because there is less money you are initially competing for. Once a few people have entered the pot it is probably correct to loosen up with speculative hands like suited connectors because it is not costing you much to try and catch a flop that might win you a big pot.
Old 08-29-2004, 05:55 PM

lets simplify this and make it 49% and 51%.

100 rolls at $1 apiece.
you win 49

Youre total investment is $100 ($1 for each of 100 rolls). On the rolls that you win you get $2 (your initial bet back + the payoff). 2 * 49 = 98.

-100 + 98 = -2, meaning you've lost $2 per 100 rolls, not $1 as looking at it the way you did would mean.

The principle in the posted problem is the same.
Old 08-29-2004, 05:59 PM

It depends on how the table is playing. If there's a lot of preflop raising you might be correct to fold from EP. But if most of the time preflop action isn't raised you can call from EP (and usually fold if someone raises after you).
Old 08-29-2004, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was at one again last week -- FAR too tight, OVER half the hands were chopped by the blinds and just about any pre-flop raise picked up said blinds.

They DO exist.

But they are a rarity.

[/ QUOTE ]

The weekday Mirage 10/20 games are sometimes like this, and they can be very profitable. You end up winning a lot of small pots.
Old 08-29-2004, 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

They DO exist.

But they are a rarity.

[/ QUOTE ]

The weekday Mirage 10/20 games are sometimes like this, and they can be very profitable. You end up winning a lot of small pots.

[/ QUOTE ]

SOMETIMES they are.... last time I was out there, one day it would be like that, the next ... not.

Can't wait 'til November when Team BarronVangorToth.com hits Vegas harder than <insert random vaguely sexual somewhat offensive definitely misogynistic analogy here>.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com