Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2004, 04:58 PM

Default Re: Ladies Limit Hold Em on ESPN

yeah, howard is always dressed up. Looks like he could be going to a business meeting. If I were on national tv you can bet I would buy some new clothes and get a haircut. Not doing that is a sign of excessive arrogance.
Old 07-28-2004, 05:00 PM

Default Re: Women\'s Tourneys?

I hate getting involved in this thread, since it has turned into a lot of gossip, rumors and flaming, but I do feel that maybe I can add something (positive?).

A lot of women don't enter ladies events because of the history. Ladies events are noted for gender bias, as they were started because "women needed their own event, since they can't compete with men." They are also almost exclusively limit HE events. Why? Because "women don't have the intelligence to understand no-limit." Yes, this was an actual quote from a poker legend.

This kind of bias continues today. These events are still being offered and still being played. I don't think women should patronize these events.

Many things have changed in the poker world since these comments were made in the '70's, but not much has changed with gender bias. Watch the old WSOP tapes. All the way up to '99, men were making horrible, sexist comments about women and poker. Just ridiculous things, unbelievable. Even this year, Scotty Nguyen made some awful sexist remarks. They choose to ignore how well women have done in open events over the years. To them, it is better to deny the results.

This year alone, women won three open events. This in spite of the fact that only about 3% of the events were populated by women. I cannot even believe the percentage of women who cashed this year. In one event I played in, there were 11 women out of 258 total participants. The top 24 paid, and FOUR of them were women! That is almost 17%, and only 4% of the participants were women! No, I didn't cash [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I could go on and on, event after event, but you get the point.

I do not care for Duke. I don't think she represents the poker community well at all. This has nothing to do with gender, I am speaking of poker as a whole. I don't think John Bonetti is a good representative of poker either, so there ya go.

As far as the dress, I, too have gone ultra-casual. It is just too uncomfortable for most of us to dress up day after day, playing in these big events, when we are sometimes at the table for 16 hours straight. I wear the super baggy jogging type clothing these days. I fought it for a while, but after several hours of sitting on a blue jean seam, the pain gets unbearable, and it can be uncomfortable for days afterwards. It is not a matter of style as much as comfort. Many of us would like to look nice in front of our peers, but the truth is, sometimes the long days make it impossible.

I have tried to shun events that are going to be televised, mainly for the reasons of this thread alone. I'm not really interested in being put under a microscope, and I doubt I would come out on the positive end of things. I'd probably go over as well as Sinead O'Connor on SNL. I'm not PC in the slightest, and I have the ability to offend almost everyone in some way. I see that even people who cannot possibly be offensive to anyone manage to get put through the ringer on some poker forums (Ted Forrest).

It is getting harder and harder to play in untelevised events. I guess I can just hope that I don't get to the final table (doesn't that sound sad?).

Wow, this has turned into a rambling, off-topic post. Sorry about that. My original intent was to just rant about the history of women's tourneys, and the reason they shouldn't exist in the first place. I hope I made some kind of point, anyway, lol.

Felicia [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
www.felicialee.net
Old 07-28-2004, 05:01 PM

When a man knows he will be on national tv and dresses like a slob its not good. Would you do that ?
Old 07-28-2004, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2. Its a limit tourny. I would rather play bingo than play a limit tourny and there is about that much skill involved.

[/ QUOTE ]

Duh.
Old 07-28-2004, 05:38 PM

Why is it "not good". Maybe he just doesn't care about the same things you do. He's playing poker, it just happens to be on TV.
Old 07-28-2004, 05:52 PM

double duh to you, bounces of me an sticks to you.
Old 07-28-2004, 05:55 PM

I guess if somebody doesn't care what they look like on national television then I think they are a lazy slob. Call me crazy.
Old 07-28-2004, 06:21 PM

Default Re: Women\'s Tourneys?

Braaavo, Felicia, Braaavo.
Old 07-29-2004, 05:51 AM

I think it's awful that this thread has degenerated to talking nearly exclusively about looks and we aren't discussing Crystal Doan. Yummy.
Old 07-29-2004, 01:00 PM

You didn't have me on the flop! n/m

72o