Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2005, 03:12 PM

Default Re: Wrestling Angles that worked

New World Order
This was the single most influential angle in modern day wrestling due to the fact that it catipulted WCW to #1 over the WWF, that was almost an absurd thought before this.

Goldberg
While the NWO started the WCW late reign at the top Goldberg continued it, his undefeated streak cracked WWF fans who would tune into WCW just to see Goldberg, also brought in an aspect of NFL fans who wanted to see the former Atlanta Falcon.

Hogan v. Warrior
This fued led to one of the most memorable matches in the History of the WWF or in wrestling period. It is the one defining moment in my childhood of watching wrestling, which i did for a good portion. These were THE 2 wrestlers of the day.

Lugar v. Yokozuna, "The Slam"
This was a well executed angle and was also finished well at Summer Slam to an American theme. For those that remember Lugar before this he sucks as 'the narcissist', this vaulted him to the American Hero, even though he sucked after the Yoko angle.

Taker v. Kane
This was built up pretty well too, and when I say built up I mean built and teased for months and months which all led up to the much anticipated first match on PPV

Thats all I got for now. More later.
~Justin
Old 11-02-2005, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Anything involving Kurt Angle. Anything. Dude's awesome. Giving you one specific, back when Steffie didn't have tits the size of my head, the tease that Angle would steal her from HHH. Solid angle, great matches. Kurt's the man.

One that they started out so inredibly well but [censored] up beyond belief was ECfnW uniting. All they had to do was make ECW the faces, but no. Vince couldn't swallow his pride.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was one good night but im not really sure if it was possible for the invasion angle to ever work. The problem was that everyone knew it wasn't an invasion and that the WWE had purchased the WCW.

Actually I take back my first statement. It never could have worked once they made the stakes control and the life of the WWE. At that point it became predictable, obvious and not longer interesting. We all knew the WWE wasn't going anywere. The invasion and alliance was interersting when the story was seemingly about the rebirth of first WCW and then ECW. If they make the stakes control of Smackdown and or Heat where instead of taking out the WWE Shane is instead fighting to get his company (WCW) on TV then everything becomes much more plausible and interesting.

Now the initial run-ins are about Shane and the WCW guys getting on TV and getting known. They have a reason to be there now. Also you add in Shane trying and steal away guys by offering them various things. Vince doesn't know who to trust and becomes more paranoid and the defections start to mount. All of them culminates with a Survivor series match where Shane puts up the life of WCW vs. say control of Smackdown.

WCW wins, which moves right into the company split. Now you truly do have 2 brands and a legitmate 2 world champions

[/ QUOTE ]

the WWE hand't purchased the WCW at the time of the invasion, the NWO started in '96, WWE bought WCW in '01
~Justin
Old 11-02-2005, 03:16 PM

TNA mostly exists because Vince would rather sign giants that can't move than promote smaller workers who are actually amazing.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Anything involving Kurt Angle. Anything. Dude's awesome. Giving you one specific, back when Steffie didn't have tits the size of my head, the tease that Angle would steal her from HHH. Solid angle, great matches. Kurt's the man.

One that they started out so inredibly well but [censored] up beyond belief was ECfnW uniting. All they had to do was make ECW the faces, but no. Vince couldn't swallow his pride.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was one good night but im not really sure if it was possible for the invasion angle to ever work. The problem was that everyone knew it wasn't an invasion and that the WWE had purchased the WCW.

Actually I take back my first statement. It never could have worked once they made the stakes control and the life of the WWE. At that point it became predictable, obvious and not longer interesting. We all knew the WWE wasn't going anywere. The invasion and alliance was interersting when the story was seemingly about the rebirth of first WCW and then ECW. If they make the stakes control of Smackdown and or Heat where instead of taking out the WWE Shane is instead fighting to get his company (WCW) on TV then everything becomes much more plausible and interesting.

Now the initial run-ins are about Shane and the WCW guys getting on TV and getting known. They have a reason to be there now. Also you add in Shane trying and steal away guys by offering them various things. Vince doesn't know who to trust and becomes more paranoid and the defections start to mount. All of them culminates with a Survivor series match where Shane puts up the life of WCW vs. say control of Smackdown.

WCW wins, which moves right into the company split. Now you truly do have 2 brands and a legitmate 2 world champions

[/ QUOTE ]

the WWE hand't purchased the WCW at the time of the invasion, the NWO started in '96, WWE bought WCW in '01
~Justin

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are you saying this? [censored] is talking about "The Invasion" which is a reference to the 2001 era of the merger.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:23 PM

He's likely talking about the nWo invasion.

I liked any angle that focused more on wrestling and less on lame storytelling.

The the best recent angle that I enjoyed was Batista's turn on HHH.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He's likely talking about the nWo invasion.

I liked any angle that focused more on wrestling and less on lame storytelling.

The the best recent angle that I enjoyed was Batista's turn on HHH.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I know, just don't know why he brought it up? Meh. nm. Re: HHH and Batista. Agreed, they did that well.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:30 PM

I wasnt still watching it in late enough to know of another 'invasion'
~Justin
Old 11-02-2005, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wasnt still watching it in late enough to know of another 'invasion'
~Justin

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh thats where I was going. This is actually the more popular reference now. Especially since it sucked so bad.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
pride

[/ QUOTE ]

Have an example that you remember?

[/ QUOTE ]

You missed the joke. Pride as in the pride fighting championship. Smallish NHB fighting confederacy out of japan. They have some ties to pro wrestling and usually put on a pretty good show

[/ QUOTE ]

I've actually been wanting to order some their DVD's for sometime now as I hear it is much better than UFC.

Where to start? Also they have english commentary right?

[/ QUOTE ]
Pride is my favourite to watch. The rules are a bit better imo, they disallow elbowing on the ground, to reduce the number of cut-related-wins, and allow for kneeing / kicking a downed opponent for more KO wins. They also move the fighters to the center of the ring when they wind up along the ropes so it's more of an "open area" fight than a caged fight.

It also seems quite a bit more national. Japan, Brazil, USA, Russia, etc etc all get good representation. This also means they're getting the best of the best from the world, while UFC is basically just getting the best of the best of Americans with some Canadians and some Brazilians thrown into the mix.

Make sure you start a few years back and work your up through the fights, without spoilers. Fights like Fedor Emelinenko vs Mirko Cro-Cop, or Wanderlei vs Arona are so much better once you know the fighters a bit, and the lead in to the fights.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:55 PM

Oh yeah. The Shawn Michaels heel turn where he threw Marty Jannetty through the (plate glass!!!) window.

(Edit: Obviously, the time period from 1991-93, when I was most into pro wrestling, sticks in my brain most vividly, even though I watched just about every week until about three years ago.)