Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2005, 07:41 PM

Default Re: Family situation, need some advice

I guess I am confused? They 'gave' you the cell phone and the truck? Yet they pay the monthly service plan, insurance, registration fees, etc. Would/could you afford to pay these yourself? If so, sit down (with your mom first minus the stepdad) and explain that you would like the additional responsibilities of paying for these yourself.

Act more like an adult and they will treat you more like an adult. They will appreciate the fact that you initiate an adult to adult talk. They sound like they are good parents that are trying to help you grow into a responsible adult. I can assure you it is difficult for all growing up in a divorced family!

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4u
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 08-07-2005, 08:09 PM

"So you don't own it at all then and your parents refuse to listen to reason
1) Your parents are assholes."

How old are YOU?
Old 08-07-2005, 08:12 PM

"Unfortunately, the way with everything my mom and stepdad give me, is that every "gift" is conditional. My truck, my cell phone, the cell phone service, are all taken hostage when we have a disagreement. In essence these "gifts" aren't even mine, I'm just using them from my parents under the condition that I *obey*.

Well, I'm going to college now and I think that is horse [censored]."

So, you want to do whatever you please but continue to live under your parents' financial umbrella? I'm guessing that the cell phone and others are as much "yours" as it turns out the truck is.

Appreciation and gratitude, along with a little humility, might be nice for you to pick up.
Old 08-07-2005, 09:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know how to change the oil on my truck, much less repair the bumper.

It's sad, I know.

[/ QUOTE ]

No what's sad is you don't even bother trying to figure out how to do it. Can you use a wrench? I'm going to assume you can. Do you think you can take something like 4-8 bolts off the truck? Again I'm going to assume you can.

You could go here and ask some people if they can direct you to a repair manual for the truck or where the bolts are located, and what model years bumpers will work on your truck. Next go on google and look for auto junk yards in your area. You'll want the ones that specialize in imports. Call them and ask if they have what you are looking for. (They may or may not be of any help.) Grab some metric wrenches or a ratchet set and drive out to the junkyard. Find a bump, take it off. Go pay for it. Ebay might also have what you're looking for.

Its not a hard thing to do. Show some initiative and try to learn a new skill and take care of things yourself because it will show your parents that you can take care of yourself and act like an adult, neither of which you have been doing.
Old 08-07-2005, 09:52 PM

piss on your possessions and see if they take them after that.