Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2005, 03:21 PM

Default Re: Is ND really deserving for BCS

OSU scoring 41? I wouldn't wager that as an O/U, but its certainly very possible.

A defense that can let Stanford score in the end on a 50 second drive doesn't seem like as much a test as PSU/Texas/Michigan.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ND vs. Oregon
USC = USC
Stanford = Stanford
Washington = Washington
Fresno State = Michigan
Arizona State = Michigan State
California = Purdue
Washington State = BYU
Oregon State = Tennessee
Arizona = Pittsburgh
Houston = Navy
Montana = Syracuse

Some of those are off, but all in all, I think it averages out. Notre Dame hasn't played any easier a schedule than Oregon. (tOSU has played one of the hardest schedules in the country, they should get in).

[/ QUOTE ]

Its fine if you want to make this argument, but the simple fact is that ND lost 2 games and Oregon only lost 1. If they have fairly equal schedules I don't see how you can argue that ND gets a bid over UO (not sure if you were, Im just saying...) In my mind its OSU and UO, but of course that will never happen and my ducks will get screwed again.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:46 PM

Man, [censored] the DUCKS PAC-10 is overrated anyways.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:44 PM

Christ give it up with the Stanford game.

IIRC OSU let Illinois put of two points on them pretty easy... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-01-2005, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also, just looking at their roster, several of their key players are either Soph's or Juniors.

Samardzjia-Jr
Quinn-Jr.
Stovall-Jr.
Zbikowski-So.
Ndukwe-Jr.
Wooden-So.

I am going to say it right now, this team will be even better next year.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the problem. That's about all they have coming back. The offense is being gutted. They are losing their center, right tackle, top two left tackles, top two left guards, shelton, fasano, stovall, and powers-neal. They are losing five starters from a mediocre defense.

Quinn and Walker are very good football players but they can't do it alone. There is no way this team can possibly be better next year.

*edit* I see Stovall is actually a junior.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shelton has been injured most of the year, and Powers-neal got kicked off the team half way thru the season, so neither of them have being making a big difference this year. Fasano will be a big lose. But they also should get McKnight back next year, who is arguably their best receiver anyway.

The O-line maybe a problem, as well as losing their linebackers, but its not enough to claim the team is screwed when the majority of the major contributors are coming back.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think that ND's recruiting will be very good for the next 2-3 years. If they continue to improve each year then I think the recruiting will continue to be in the top 10 each year.

[/ QUOTE ] Of course it will be very good. They have a former NFL coach with 3 Super Bowl rings, an alumni, and a overall great guy as their coach. Why any somewhat smart kid wouldn't want to go play at ND is beyond me. I truely think that NFL experience translates over to excellent recruiting opportunities in college, one reason why I think USC has risen back to where it is.

If ND is good next year, which I think they will be, with another big bowl game, then they are set.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that ND wil be good next year. And I also think that having Weis as the head coach will be great for recruiting offensive players. But they really need to concentrate on recruiting defensive players. They desperately need help at DB. I think the defensive line and linebackers are pretty well set.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, they have a committment from the consensus #1 corner in the nation, so it's good start.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:05 PM

I thought Fasano was not sure if he was going to leave for the NFL or not. I thought he was still a junior. Maybe they can talk him into staying if he can play another year.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:22 PM

ESPN has him listed as a Sr. Did he redshirt?
Old 12-01-2005, 05:28 PM

Nope I am wrong. He was on the bench as a freshman(that hurts looking back on that) It sucks losing a stud like him.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:32 PM

He did red-shirt. I think the generally consensus is that he will leave for the NFL, but who knows.

EDIT: IIRC I think the announcers talked about this briefly, perhaps during the syracuse game. Mentioned something about Weiss having a talk with all the players eligible for a 5th year and giving them advice about the NFL. Pretty sure Fasano's name got mentioned.