Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: gametime+ OR playerview?
gametime+ 15 65.22%
playerview 8 34.78%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-25-2005, 02:17 PM

Default Re: ($22) A Fold I would have never made before

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not betting 99 on the flop in a tiny pot with 4 others and 2 overcards on the board.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would here. You have very nice position to do so. I forgot to mention this in your email, but I think betting out here takes it down most often.
Old 09-25-2005, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PF: standard. Flop check: standard, you're done.

Turn: One guy minbets ("I have a pair or a draw or ace high or I'm a moron"). One guy makes a small raise ("I have a Q or better"). You reraise ("I have at least 2 pair"). The minbettor calls (draw) and now the raiser 4 bets.

I have not seen the results yet, but this is a good fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Adanthar, I agree with this analysis. In particular, I agree that our hero has read villain's hole cards correctly, and that he is behind. My question to you is about odds. Pot odds and implied odds to filling up. And frankly, I think the question is whether it is worth having 670 going forward here all the time, or 445 going forward here 2/3 of the time, and 1800 here the other 1/3.
Old 09-25-2005, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Making implied odds calls for half your stack early is not a good idea in general in a tournament situation (for one thing, those calls are nearly always reverse implied odds calls instead because you wind up calling the milking river bet). But I sure do love your 'easy push' answer.

Also, if you raise 99 OOP there on a regular basis in a tournament you are in for a lot of hurt.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, so you answered my other post (I think). Regarding the milking river bet, you're assuming villain is gonna make a smallish, callable bet (and our hero will get sucked into it?).
Old 09-25-2005, 02:55 PM

Pretty much. Sure, if he shows you a straight on the turn you can call (I still wouldn't, actually, but if you would I won't argue) and then fold on the river. But that won't happen, because 'he could play QJ like this too' and 'well I have odds and there's the 10% chance he's bluffing so I have to call' and, well, 'I have a set'. I've made the occasional big fold in that situation; most people won't.

Speaking of reverse implied odds: You raise 99 out of position to 75-100ish and get 3 callers, who have 2-3 overcards and an underpair between them. Two overs, a straight draw and a flush draw hit on the flop and your advice is to lead for 1/3 pot, as you apparently would on most flops that 'miss' you. Congratulations, you suck at poker.
Old 09-25-2005, 03:14 PM

Who sucks? Do I have to read the whole thread?

Also, is this out of position?
Old 09-25-2005, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pretty much. Sure, if he shows you a straight on the turn you can call (I still wouldn't, actually, but if you would I won't argue) and then fold on the river. But that won't happen, because 'he could play QJ like this too' and 'well I have odds and there's the 10% chance he's bluffing so I have to call' and, well, 'I have a set'. I've made the occasional big fold in that situation; most people won't.

Speaking of reverse implied odds: You raise 99 out of position to 75-100ish and get 3 callers, who have 2-3 overcards and an underpair between them. Two overs, a straight draw and a flush draw hit on the flop and your advice is to lead for 1/3 pot, as you apparently would on most flops that 'miss' you. Congratulations, you suck at poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who is talking about raising here? Do you mean PF?
Old 09-25-2005, 04:02 PM

For whatever reason I thought hero was nezza while making that post, but it doesn't really matter if you plan on betting no matter what flop comes. Yes, I meant PF.