Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2005, 12:01 PM

Default Re: Utterly embarrassing and honest confessions of a 1 year pro

Good post.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Good post.

[/ QUOTE ]

TStone or Paluka? I can never tell because you responded to Paluka, but a lot of people just click a random reply button and type
Old 06-22-2005, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
unnecessarily harsh IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had to be harsh if I was going to be sincere. I have been a dick to him, and I do think most of his posts make him sound like a total moron. But my advice to him on how to make himself happier was genuine.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know much about playing poker proffesionally but I thought yoadrians post seemed like pretty good advice. Working a couple nights a week as a bartender or something like that would probably be fun, as well as something to fill time on your resume if/when you ever have to get a real job.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad someone else brought this up again. Seriously man, I know getting a 'job' might not seem all that fun or even worth it, seeing as you don't need the money. But in a work environment - specifically bars and restaruants - you get a lot of the college-aged/young adults working there. Goldmine for friends (or at least new people to have fun with). Keeps you on your toes, gets you out of the apartment, you meet people, and you bank a little extra money to put away.

Give it some thought, my man. And, again, keep up with the running. 5K in the fall, baby! You can do it.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The nice thing about poker is that it has increased my level of understanding on so many other subjects in a way that I will never comprehend.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love this line!
Old 06-22-2005, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know much about playing poker proffesionally but I thought yoadrians post seemed like pretty good advice. Working a couple nights a week as a bartender or something like that would probably be fun, as well as something to fill time on your resume if/when you ever have to get a real job.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad someone else brought this up again. Seriously man, I know getting a 'job' might not seem all that fun or even worth it, seeing as you don't need the money. But in a work environment - specifically bars and restaruants - you get a lot of the college-aged/young adults working there. Goldmine for friends (or at least new people to have fun with). Keeps you on your toes, gets you out of the apartment, you meet people, and you bank a little extra money to put away.

Give it some thought, my man. And, again, keep up with the running. 5K in the fall, baby! You can do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah a restaurant might be especially fun. Typically the employees at these places get pretty tight. If you are near a college town so much the better.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:45 PM

Default Re: Psych Assesment

All is well in pokerland.
All is Not well in social-life land.

Your solution??
Make your professional association (2+2)
your social outlet. Hence your posts
.. How to ship stuff overseas..
.. How much to get my tv repaired.
.. Star Wars reviews.

Since you have no friends irl in your new location,
We have become your social outlet.
YOur ideas on excercise are good, but you are isolated on your treadmill.
golf is better. Somewhere in 4.5h you will talk about poker and someone will be interested. I have found friends in golf are always usually good friends to know since they usually have money to waste.

my second idea is to go to your friendly community college and Audit (take a course for no credits) a basic stats course. (hopefully the text will give examples in card terms ie. oods of getting royal flush in 7 cards ) It will give you a good reason to get out to a location where you can meet guys and girls (golf = guys mostly) who you can talk TV repair or Star Wars with.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:02 PM

Not even 21 and you've completely thrown your life away. "Rounders" will do that to some people.

-Matt
Old 06-22-2005, 01:24 PM

I agree with everything Paluka said. There were undertones of depression and regret scattered throughout the OP. It's sad when you're not even 21 and you have no real friends, no burning ambition, and no drive whatsoever. Poker isn't worth all that.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:35 PM

>>There were undertones of depression and regret scattered >>throughout the OP.

depression + desperate need for attention = suicide