Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2004, 11:50 AM

Default Re: lmao at Annie Duke

[ QUOTE ]
I would call that world class. I would put him up against most players in the world and bet on him.

[/ QUOTE ]

most of us call that "better than average" [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. it seems like our definitions of world class are really different. to me, players that have survived for years and years playing high stakes cash games and consistently winning tournaments is world class, not someone who won one or two big buyin events. people like dan harrington, ray zee, chau xiang, howard and yourself are who I consider world class.

--turnipmonster
Old 08-18-2004, 12:26 PM

have YOU won a 10K buy-in event?

Didn't think so.
Old 08-18-2004, 12:29 PM

Affleck has won a 10K buy-in event. Has this so-called 2+2 legend won anything like that?

doubtful.

Affleck may be new to the game, but he is obviously got a great handle on it. Just 'cause he's a movie star doesn't make him a bad poker player.

You win the Cal. State Chapionship...you are playing with the big boys. Period.
Old 08-18-2004, 12:57 PM

I'm not saying either way.....I'm sure he's damn good now,

but a $10,000 buy-in to Ben Affleck is like me putting in a quarter in a Pacman game
Old 08-18-2004, 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but a $10,000 buy-in to Ben Affleck is like me putting in a quarter in a Pacman game

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesn't make a lick of sense.
Just because he's rich doesn't make the event he won any less difficult or prestigious. And let's not forget the level of competition he bested, hmm?

Not quite the same as me or you winning a $10 buy-in event at out local cardroom.
Old 08-18-2004, 02:31 PM

I guess you are trying to imply that I am taking all the credit for his being so good? If you listened to what I said on ESPN you would know that I said I have given him tips but he is a really smart guy and really applies what I tell him really really well. He is responsible for his being so good, not me. But yes he has gotten good since I started tutoring him because that is when he really started applying himself to the game.

And I have apologized for what I said after the WSOP. I make no excuses for it. It was terrible and I own the comments completely. I hope I am a person who learns from her mistakes. I have certainly learned from that one.

Annie Duke
Old 08-18-2004, 03:06 PM

I don't really know anything about how good he is or isn't but he must have talent since he won that event, and since people like yourself want to spend time on helping him improve his game.

Also, I think you're an exciting poker player yourself, and even though it's easy to flame someone online, I don't think people are trying to be mean. It's just the nature of the internet to respond like this sometimes. I bet if people were face to face, they'd be a lot nicer =)
Old 08-18-2004, 03:17 PM

Obviously the level of competition is MUCH higher in a $10,000 buy-in than a $10 buy-in..

I guess my point is...this whole transition from actor to major poker player is MUCH easier for him because the money means ZERO to him..He can play and only get better because his mistakes don't matter to him financially....Whereas poker is THE job for most pro poker players..they need to win..

It's fun for him...I can't imagine being able to play poker against the best in the world, without having to worry about my bankroll..How great would that be? (just ask Phil Gordon and Paul Phillips)
Old 08-18-2004, 03:28 PM

okay, point taken...maybe it is easier to learn to play when you're not worried about paying the bills...

but on the other hand...if he plays like he doesn't have to worry about the money, doesn't that make him just another 2/4 limit guy with a large bankroll who doesn't care whether he wins or loses?

I would guess the Affleck plays those large limits expressly BECAUSE the money matters to him...he chose a limit and bankroll that forces him to play good poker...not crazy poker. Sort of like you or me choosing to play 10-20 games because that's the game we can comfortably play while having it still mean something.
Old 08-18-2004, 03:40 PM

but dominic i thought you were incredibly rich? why are you talking about playing 10-20?