Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 01:35 PM

Default Re: NFL running backs

So, you believe that drafting a quarterback high is a better bet? Tim Couch, Ryan Leaf, Akili Smith, that guy in Chicago? Did San Fran. bench their new guy already? The draft is a crap shoot. Some running backs drafted high will be good, others will be a bust. Some QBs taken high will be good, others will suck. I think if a team has a particular need and there is someone rated high in that area when it's their turn to draft, they don't have much of a choice.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:18 PM

I'm using quick reply..

Anyway, I think its highly possible that Reggie Bush has a career similar to that of Rocket Ismail or Desmond Howard.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:23 PM

I think its important when judging a pro running back to consider there success in college.. For example, Emmit Smith was a pretty good college back.. I doubt that many people knew about him coming out of college.. Compare that to Barry Sanders.

When judging any football player, you have to look quantitatively, as well as qualitatively.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm using quick reply..

Anyway, I think its highly possible that Reggie Bush has a career similar to that of Rocket Ismail or Desmond Howard.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is your reasoning for this?
Old 11-28-2005, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LT was pretty bad in his rookie year and below average last year. It's to be expected as a rookie and he was hobbled with an ankle injury last year. But it's important to understand that, production wise, he was below average. That's simply a fact.

LaMont Jordan will probably come close to achieving the numbers LT did last year. He's on pace for 1800 yards from scrimmage...

[/ QUOTE ]

RUSHING
Year Team G GS Att Yards Avg Lg TD 20+ FD
2001 San Diego Chargers 16 16 339 1236 3.6 54 10 7 67
2004 San Diego Chargers 15 15 339 1335 3.9 42 17 6 68

Pretty bad and below average?

I'm beginning to think you don't know as much about football as you think you do.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:19 PM

Um, yeah, 1236 and 1335 aren't very good years for running backs that get the ball 339 times,
Old 11-28-2005, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How valuable are they? Who is the best starting running back and who is the worst? It seems like lately the gap has become smaller and smaller. Is there a team in the league that would say they have serious problems at the running back position?

The broncos are an obvious example of the fact that a teams offensive line is more important the the guy running behind it. The chiefs are another. One "great" RB goes down, and another comes in and has very similar success. It makes you wonder what it was that made the first RB so "great" in the first place.

Sure there are a few exceptions, and there seems to be a common theme among the exceptions. They are the running backs who are also great recievers. LT, Edge, Faulk in his prime, etc. But other than these exceptions, the difference between the best and worst running backs is very minimal. If you put any on of them in a given play, considering the quality of blocking they get and how good the defense is, the results are all going to be very close to the same. Add in the fact that running backs are so often injured, and you have even more reason not to shell out top dollar for a premier back. Especially if theres a good chance the only reason they became known as a "premier back" in the first place is due to their offensive line and the system they played in.

I know none of this is anything new. But my conclusion is one that I'm sure not many will agree with. My conclusion is that reggie bush should not be the first overall pick. I am as big of a fan of him as anyone. But his value relative to other players at his position is simply not as big as as Top QB such as lienhart. There are tons of teams with problems at quarterback (Browns, Lions, Bears), as well as other positions, but like I said before, I cant think of one team that would say their lack of a premier running back is their biggest problem.

Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I read most of what's been argued here, one thing I haven't seen mentioned is (unless I overlooked it):

A running back is only as good as the system they play in.

Ricky Williams I think is one of the best examples. Portis is another, but to a lesser extent. He is versatile enough to get the job done in a number of different systems as a feature back.

It'd be interesting to see what a player like Kevin Jones would do in Denver's offense... hmmm

Your argument is well spoken but I think it is a bit misguided. Different backs have different styles. Others have mentioned Faulk and LT in the same breath. Both are undersized compared to some other backs but are (were) exceptional weapons in the systems that utilized their potential to the fullest. Joe Gibb's offense would probably be better fitted with a Jerome Bettis type of back. A powerful back that still has some moves in the open field.

As far as there being a minimal difference between the best and the rest, think about how many backs in the league bounce around from team to team, always contributing about 3.5 yds per carry, 400-500 yeards per season. There are tons of them, and they are a dime a dozen. Do you really honestly think that Reuben Droughns of Cleveland would be as productive as Shaun Alexander if they swapped teams?

Interesting thread though

PG
Old 11-28-2005, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you really honestly think that Reuben Droughns of Cleveland would be as productive as Shaun Alexander if they swapped teams?

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting that you should bring this up, because one of the things that promted me to make this thread was listening to the announcers in the vikings-browns pregame rave about Reuben Droughns. The browns CBS keys to the game were quote "Reuben, Reuben, Rueben!"

Before the game I definately would have considered the browns to be a team with a bad running back situation, but apperently not. They think he is a stud and he did play pretty well. So to answer your question, yes I think Reuben Droughns would have comparable numbers to Shaun Alexander if he was inserted into the seattle offense.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So, you believe that drafting a quarterback high is a better bet? Tim Couch, Ryan Leaf, Akili Smith, that guy in Chicago? Did San Fran. bench their new guy already? The draft is a crap shoot. Some running backs drafted high will be good, others will be a bust. Some QBs taken high will be good, others will suck. I think if a team has a particular need and there is someone rated high in that area when it's their turn to draft, they don't have much of a choice.

[/ QUOTE ]

In general yes, but this was really not the conclusion I set out to make.

I think QBs are far more valuable, even if they are a bigger gamble, because there is such a huge difference from the best starting QBs to the worst. The difference between peyton mannning and kyle boeller is way way way larger than the difference between LT and marcel shipp. So even if it is a gamble, its well worth it if it means some of the time you are going to end up with an elite QB because they are so hard to come by.

QBs arent the only position with very big differences in value from top to bottom. I think offensive tackle and middle linebacker are up there as well. Just look at what having a great MLB can do for an entire defense. Guys like Ray lewis and brian urlacher seem to bring the rest of the defense up to their level.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Do you really honestly think that Reuben Droughns of Cleveland would be as productive as Shaun Alexander if they swapped teams?

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting that you should bring this up, because one of the things that promted me to make this thread was listening to the announcers in the vikings-browns pregame rave about Reuben Droughns. The browns CBS keys to the game were quote "Reuben, Reuben, Rueben!"

Before the game I definately would have considered the browns to be a team with a bad running back situation, but apperently not. They think he is a stud and he did play pretty well. So to answer your question, yes I think Reuben Droughns would have comparable numbers to Shaun Alexander if he was inserted into the seattle offense.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just using him as an example. Your point is taken nonetheless.