Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2005, 04:00 PM

Default Re: Simple

[ QUOTE ]
Well the banning has resulted because of newly created rules and old rules being newly enforced. To me, it all stems from the same thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're still missing my point. I'm talking about 'standard 5 day suspensions' and the like.

Once you make something a rule, you remove your own ability to make judgement calls related to it. That was my my main point.

If a mod follows my 'no new rules' style, any ban they make will be about their own decision making, not some rule, policy, or 'standard' they have come up with.

When you make new policies, you're only restricting yourself from making good decisions.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:04 PM

I see. Well I think we're kind of arguing semantics here. Whenever someone bans another person, a decision was made. Whether it's because they were deciding the ban was appropriate because an existing rule was violated or whether they decided to ban someone b/c it was a judgement call based on what should or shouldn't be tolerated.

However, we can't eliminate all rules, as the site TOS is what it is and we are all tasked with trying to enforce it. THe mod arguments pop up when people disagree about how to interpret those terms and/or apply them, and I think some disagreement over judgement is inevitable.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I see. Well I think we're kind of arguing semantics here. Whenever someone bans another person, a decision was made. Whether it's because they were deciding the ban was appropriate because an existing rule was violated or whether they decided to ban someone b/c it was a judgement call based on what should or shouldn't be tolerated.

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely disagree, and we aren't talking semantics.

Example:

Dynasty's standard suspensions. Once you make something a standard or rule, it is unfair to show favoritism to certain people. It removes his ability to make a judgement about the individual situation, simply because he created the 'standard' in the first place.

Don't make it a standard. Don't make new rules. That's all I'm saying, and I have no idea how to explain it any better than I have already.

Mat seems to agree that new 'rules' probably limit a mod's ability to use jugdement, and that's enough for me.

[ QUOTE ]
However, we can't eliminate all rules, as the site TOS is what it is and we are all tasked with trying to enforce it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes? Where did I ever say we shouldn't enforce the T&C? In fact, I specifically mentioned it in my first post.

[ QUOTE ]
I think some disagreement over judgement is inevitable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course! But it's more difficult to hold a mod directly accountable for an actual decision when a rule has been created in advance of the situation. Once the policy is created, you can really only blame the person for the rule, not the bans.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:21 PM

I agree with all your points there. These self-imposed rules that can't be deviated from are stupid and do limit yourself from effective modding.

Actually, one thing I do disagree with. I do think your insistence on "having to treat everyone equally" is a little weird. It's not the way the world works, and it's not the way things work here. Respected posters get away with more, that happens over and over again and it really doesn't irritate me in the slightest.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I do think your insistence on "having to treat everyone equally" is a little weird.

[/ QUOTE ]

:sigh:

That's still not what I'm saying. Let me be as short about this as possible.

- Rules must be enforced equally once they are created. It is unfair to ban someone for posting "1234" and let another person slide for posting "1234" if you have made a rule about not posting "1234".

- So don't make new rules. That way you can use your judgement to be objective about each poster and their individual situation.

Once you create the rule, you basically remove your own ability to make judgement calls about it. Rules must be enforced on everyone equally once they go up, so mods shouldn't make new rules and policies, IMO.

That's as simple as I can make it.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Rules must be enforced on everyone equally once they go up

[/ QUOTE ]

No, they don't. That's as simple as I can put it.

I don't know what you mean by "go up." THese aren't real rules anyway. They're rules we're creating. Therefore, we can change them as needed.

I have no problem agreeing to disagree on this point.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Rules must be enforced on everyone equally once they go up

[/ QUOTE ]

No, they don't. That's as simple as I can put it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes they do, or you're doing a bad job.
That's as simple as I can put it.

Because if you aren't going to enforce a rule on some people, it shouldn't be a rule at all. To say otherwise is truely laughable.

We will have to agree to disagree, but you're completely wrong.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:34 PM

Ok, but you're wrong. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-03-2005, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, but you're wrong. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Mat doesn't think so. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

But yeah, let's just end this line of posting.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:45 PM

This should be moved to OOT so i can hijack it into a taco bell discussion.