Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2005, 01:39 PM

Default Re: Bad/stupid/improbable scenes of other wise good movies

In the first Die Hard, when Bruce Willis ties the fire hose around his waist, jumps off the exploding roof of the building and kicks his way through a glass office building window with bare, bloody feet?
Well, I'm sorry, but the knot he tied with that fire hose was NOT strong enough to hold him. He had to at least double it.

Also, there's From Dusk Till Dawn. In one scene, Salma Hayek is standing on top of George Clooney. She's a blood drinking vampire who's face changes into a monster. Clooney shoots the chain of the chandeleir above her, snapping it with with one shot. Well, the chandeleir falls on Hayek, but missed Clooney completely even though he is lying right beneath her. That's impossible.
Also, at the end, when Cheech comes in to save them and the vampires all explode in the room. I just don't believe a disco ball can reflect that much light.
Plus, there's a club which is filled exclusively with vampires, built on top of a half-buried Mayan pyramid, which has been devouring bikers and truckers for fifty years without anyone noticing. Well, they have to drive hours through Mexico to get to this place, yet the Neon sign in front is in English, not Spanish. C'mon, how am I supposed to believe that?

In Resident Evil: Apocalypse, how did Alice know the others were holed up in the church, and come flying through the window on the bike in just enough time to save them? This movie was totally realistic otherwise, but this bit just killed it for me.

In Escape From LA, Snake Plissken surfs on a wave on a drainage pipe next to a highway, rides the crest of the wave right next to the highway and manages to jump from his board into Steve Buscemi's moving convertable on the highway. Only thing is, the shade of Red on Buscemi's car was DISCONTINUED BEFORE THE TIME THE MOVIE WAS SET IN!! No way could he have gotten his car that shade. WTF? Later in the movie Plissken finds a half-empty pack of cigarettes in the woods. Even tho cigs have been illegal there for years, the smokes in the woods are not damp or ruined, just fine. Another completely credible movie ruined.

I've got more...
Old 08-29-2005, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

In Resident Evil: Apocalypse, how did Alice know the others were holed up in the church, and come flying through the window on the bike in just enough time to save them? This movie was totally realistic otherwise, but this bit just killed it for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now this is comedic genius. Nice one!

Swede
Old 08-29-2005, 02:46 PM

Default Re: NOTE: MAN ON FIRE SPOILER

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Rounders - seriously...how mad would you have to be to turn down a horny-for-you Famke Janssen? I mean...I don't even think it's possible for me to get so distracted that I would not go straight into the bedroom.
Also...the read at the judges' game is simply ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

I liked how he turned her down, he knows he could have her whenever now, why when he's frustrated about his best friend's betrayal and he just got dumped by his long term lady? It's just some clam, he's got good TV and booze anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good TV + booze > banging Famke Janssen? Really? You know, given that all of us can achieve one of these, while most cannot achieve the other, I feel that your logic is flawed.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Man on Fire - the one scene that keeps this movie from greatness is the end scene. Without giving it away, let's just say that I think there was a better way to handle it, rather than just getting into the car...why not on the bridge?

[/ QUOTE ]

*stop reading if you haven't seen this movie*

There's a ton of reasons I can imagine why they'd bring him back to their boss rather than just shoot him on a bridge, one of which being I doubt they'd want to risk f'ing up the agreement, since it's clear they were interested in a legitimate trade. It's more likely the boss wanted to torture and/or kill him himself, regardless, they can commit a murder in public or in privacy.

I don't think the ending was flawed at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

It just felt like a thin ending, from a dramatic point of view. I can almost picture Denzel managing an ironic smile right before the shot hits him on the bridge. I have no doubt about the torture aspect, or whatever...but the trade was already made, and I just like the dramatic nuance of him trading his life for Pita's. It just seemed like it would have made a more cathartic ending.

MOF is a very good movie, but the ending that occurs, I believe, keeps it from complete greatness.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:40 PM

Default Re: NOTE: MAN ON FIRE SPOILER

[ QUOTE ]
Boba Fett getting killed slap-stick-style. He deserved better.

[/ QUOTE ]

for those of us that do not read tons and tons of books, boba fett didn't get played like a fool there. how do i know this??

well i was in a video store and star wars was on, and i commented this, "man, how does a bad ass mofo like boba fett get punked out like that?!?!"

attractive girl behind me says "boba fett didn't die there, he was injured or whatever but he lived on. i know this because i read the books."

cro pauses, jaw drops on floor and pretends to listen to what actually happened to boba fett.

my 2 cents...the rave scene in the matrix reloaded wtf small complaint..what else...

american wedding: jim (jason biggs) shaves his pubic hair, and then tosses them out the window? wtf man, toss that [censored] in the garbage or flush it down the toilet. that scene always bugged me, funny or not.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raiders of the Lost Ark, when Indy is wheeling around on the German submarine as it prepares to dive, and then suddenly he's on Secret Nazi Island.

Honestly, I thought that's what this thread would be about when I opened it.

[/ QUOTE ]

the scene that bugs me the most in that movie is the begining when he has the bag of sand and swaps it with the gold artifact, and after eyeing the artifact he lets sad out of the bag, cuz he thinks the bag is to heavy....wtf?? The guy is supposed to be a [censored] scholar and renound archiolgist and he doesnt realize a bag of sand isnt goign to weight anywhere NEAR what a gold artifact is gunna weight??
Old 08-29-2005, 03:52 PM

[censored] Alobar, if that ruined the beginning of the movie for me, I'll hate you forever.

Daryn, think about what you're saying: a plane can never accelerate to a speed faster than terminal velocity.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The final scence should have been Samuel J. taking a drink.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Taste good, mothaf****?!" and "It's my beer!" immediately spring to mind.

I miss Chappelle. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

-AC
Old 08-29-2005, 04:00 PM

Gold is actually very malleable and light. And he's a historical scholar if I remembered right, not an archeaologist.

-AC
Old 08-29-2005, 04:04 PM

Prof. Jones most certainly was an archaeologist.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:05 PM

Ah...I love those movies, but I haven't seen them in a long time. Whoops.

-AC