Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2005, 02:34 PM

Default Re: Palmiero tests positive for steroids?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just announced on WFAN in NY. If true, this is pretty bad. Not too bright of Raffy to destroy his HOF chances and lie to Congress in the process.

Any doubt who needs to be tested next?

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally I think that Roger Clemens should have been tested along time ago.

Nobody thinks about pitchers but I think he had to of used.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree Clemens is one bloated bastard.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
enagaing in illegal activity has always been against the rules. whther THG was technically illegal or not when bonds took it is a legal debate, but if it was, he broke the rules of baseball. What happens if the amphetmaine usage comes to light. i supose you feel the same way about that stuff?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think there is a good chance that amphetamine use has been rampant for decades. I've seen where some guys said they think it was 80% of players (seems like a bit of an exaggeration) in the 60's and 70's.

What if it turned out Mickey Mantle took amphetamines his whole career? If you ask me, he would still be a HOFer.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:40 PM

i dunno, but you can't defend bonds or others by saying steroid usage prior to this year wasn't against the rules.

I don't think steroid use should automatically preclude HOF status, but it has to be considered.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Steriods do help, if you want proof look at Brady Anderson's numbers in 95 then look at 96.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly right. While we're on the subject, let's call out one of the most obvious Steroids users of the 20th century, Wade Boggs. Look at his 1987. It makes me sick. 24 home runs? His next highest total was 11 in a lefty friendly Yankee Stadium in 1994.

It is absolutely impossible that this was a freak occurence or a fluke, he was obviously juiced. And now he's in the hall of fame. What a travesty.

Wade Boggs, Obvious Juicer

[/ QUOTE ]

1987 was the year they switched to Titleists.

AL HR
1986: 2290
1987: 2634
1988: 1901

NL HR
1986: 1523
1987: 1824
1988: 1279
Old 08-01-2005, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
um, read my post again. I was pointing out that steroid use was not permitted by baseball prior to this year (contrary to the post I responded to), not that engaging in illegal activity should preclude induction to the hall of fame.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it wasn't permitted by baseball, why did they change the rules to indicate that it wasn't now?
Old 08-01-2005, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't all enhancement drugs, and the media just uses the term steroids?

Hell, it could be ephedrine right? Anyone know the list of banned substances?

[/ QUOTE ]
the list is long. i am not by any means saying he didn't use steroids but i know for a fact of minor leaguers that were tested positive for a substance on the list and they went on that original list of those 39 or whatever original minor leaguers that tested positive for steroids at the beginning of this season.

a few of them were scrawny dominican middle relievers that were never seen in the weight room. this stuff sometimes doesn't add up which is why its such a debate. either way raffy [censored] up and his name will be tainted forever. no way he doesn't go to the hall though, you guys are (rose betting on baseball) comparing it to breaking the cardinal sin in baseball are just fools. it was said somewhere in this thread that cheaters have been in the HOF all along, hell infielders got the hell out of the way a lot of times when ty cobb was stealing a bag because they knew he sharpened his cleats. those are stolen bases and apart of his legacy but nobody says anything.

raffy will and should suffer for being either careless or [censored] stupid (whichever fits) but its crazy to say he isn't going to the HOF.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:51 PM

No. Boggs had HGH in the fried chicken. No debates.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is worse than Pete Rose betting on baseball. If this is true, I hope he never gets a sniff of Cooperstown.

[/ QUOTE ]

What the [censored] ever.

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you serious? Do you seriously support induction into The Hall of Fame for a man who tested positive for steroids?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, and, FWIW, I put Bonds in the hall and I'm 1000% certain he took steroids.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know how you can justify putting a guy, even one with Bonds' numbers, in The HOF if he did it by using steroids. It just boggles my mind how you could say that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheaters have been in the Hall of Fame for a long time.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's no excuse for adding more. Two wrongs don't make a right, etc. etc.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree.

People are naive. So many guys have used them in this era, it is almost part of the game now. (hopefully not for long).

When I graduated high school in 01 I was told twice that I should consider steriods in a round-about way.

Minor League friend of mine told me I would have a chance in the draft if I "fell on a needle".

And at a Diamondback tryout the scout told me I was "15 pounds of muscle in 6 months, short of being offered a contract after the draft."

[/ QUOTE ]

Guys I played junior college ball with took steroids so I guess I'm just very used to the idea of ballplayers juicing. I just find all the lying about it insulting.

I think you'd be pretty hard-pressed to find a major-leaguer who hasn't tried steriods at least once. I can pretty much guarantee all of them know it's going on.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:53 PM

So're you gonna tell me guys like Gaylord Perry and Mickey Mantle don't belong in the HOF?