Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2005, 06:56 PM

Default Re: Revisiting the Retarded Jets Front Office Moves

[ QUOTE ]
You don't seem to be listening.

THEY DID NOT WANT THE FIRST ROUND PICK BECAUSE DUE TO THE SLOTTING SYSTEM THEY'D BE OBLIGATED TO OVERPAY FOR NON-FIRST ROUND TALENT.

See?

[/ QUOTE ]

So they gave the pick away. Because really, TE Depth and a kicking prospect might as well be nothing. You don't think they could've gotten a 2nd and a 3rd? Maybe a 3rd and a first next year? It happens all of the time. If there's nothing you like, trade down for christ's sakes. Don't take a shitty TE and a kicker for it!
Old 10-13-2005, 07:03 PM

You know what, lets stop with this. Its fairly clear that you think the Jets brass sat in a room and said to themselves, "Lets trade this pick for a TE we think will easily win the job and make an impact in our new offense but probably won't and a kicker who will miss 3/7 FGs even though his collegiate record suggests he'll be excellent." I don't know why anyone disagrees with you, ever...
Old 10-13-2005, 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You know what, lets stop with this. Its fairly clear that you think the Jets brass sat in a room and said to themselves, "Lets trade this pick for a TE we think will easily win the job and make an impact in our new offense but probably won't and a kicker who will miss 3/7 FGs even though his collegiate record suggests he'll be excellent." I don't know why anyone disagrees with you, ever...

[/ QUOTE ]

Um. I'm sure it seemed like a really good idea at the tim to the Jets, and probably no one else. I think they were the only team left that thought Jolley was a very good TE>

As for drafting a kicker in the 2nd round, an excerpt from Pro Football Prospectus 2005:

[ QUOTE ]
There is no doubt that Nugent was the best kicking prospect to come out of college in a number of years. But the key word there is “prospect.” Kickers are drafted so rarely that you might think no team would draft one unless they knew they were getting a sure thing. Yet the number of drafted kickers who develop into productive, enduring NFL players is astonishingly low.

Not counting Nugent, 13 different kickers have been chosen in the first five rounds of the NFL draft since 1993. Only five of those kickers spent all of last season on an NFL roster. One of them was Doug Brien, who in 1994 was a promising young prospect deemed worthy of a third-round pick by the San Francisco 49ers. Another was 2004 third-round pick Nate Kaeding of San Diego. Without a missed field goal by last year’s hot kicking prospect in the wild card game, of course, there would have been no opportunity for Brien to miss two field goals against Pittsburgh, and the Jets would not have spent a second-round pick on this year’s hot kicking prospect.

Kickers are notoriously inconsistent from year to year, and kickers who are good enough to be drafted high end up no different. Martin Gramatica was as highly lauded as Nugent when Tampa Bay used a third-round pick on him in 1999; last year he was booed out of town after he missed two field goals in a close loss to St. Louis and three in a close loss to Carolina. Arizona chose his brother Bill in the fourth round of 2001, and the younger Gramatica was out of the league within three years.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-13-2005, 07:32 PM

Do you realize that not one person on this board disagreed with you about the Nugent pick? If it makes you feel better to win an argument against no one, by all means...

As for Jolley, teams over and under valuing players happens every day and every year in sports. The Jets aren't the first team to make a mistake when evaluating a player, and for what they gave up it wasn't a very big mistake at all--you can't just bandy around the term "first round pick" and have us think it means something. It was a late first round pick in a not very good first round draft.

So, really, they got exactly what they wanted in not having to pick in the first round. Did they get what they wanted in the TE. No. Did they reach for the kicker? Certainly.
Did they get what they wanted in the kicker? We don't know yet...Does this deal make them the worst Front Offdice in the NFL? Not even [censored] close. Hell, it wasn't even close to being the worst trade of the offseason.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:08 PM

Nugent hasnt panned out yet ... & i agree that i may have been too early to take him in the 2nd round

Coles > Moss

losing jason ferguson, lamont jordan really hurts

finding punter ben graham has been an underrated pickup for the front office
Old 10-14-2005, 12:29 PM

Kickers are hard to figure out sometimes. People think Vinateri's career started in 2001, but he was around for a while prior to that and was very close to getting cut in the late 90's when he wasn't clutch at all.
I think Nugent will be fine. I always thought Brien sucked ever since I saw him botch 2 XP's in 1 game in a dome for Minnesota.
The Jolley trade I thought was dumb. It might've been for cap room, but the Jets cap situation for next year is still a mess anyway.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Kickers are hard to figure out sometimes. People think Vinateri's career started in 2001, but he was around for a while prior to that and was very close to getting cut in the late 90's when he wasn't clutch at all.
I think Nugent will be fine. I always thought Brien sucked ever since I saw him botch 2 XP's in 1 game in a dome for Minnesota.
The Jolley trade I thought was dumb. It might've been for cap room, but the Jets cap situation for next year is still a mess anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, my point isn't that Nugent's bad, but that the best kickers go on dumb little 4-for-7 streaks. See: David Akers. It's really hard not to overreact.
Old 10-21-2005, 12:13 AM

Mr. Nugent would make me a lot happier if he could reach the end zone on kickoffs.