Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2005, 04:07 PM

Default Re: Play a Hand With the Masters #2 River

*I* would put him on range X and push the turn.

Gigabet apparently put him on range Y. Vs. range Y, he is ahead enough to try to show the hand down, but not enough to put in an additional 800 chips.

Almost all of the hands in range Y that Gigabet was ahead of on the turn filled up on the river. Villain did not bet, so he has none of those, leaving, basically, QT and the very very rare AQ/lesser ace.
Old 10-16-2005, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Almost all of the hands in range Y that Gigabet was ahead of on the turn filled up on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

And those hands CHECKED?
Old 10-16-2005, 04:12 PM

see edit
Old 10-16-2005, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
see edit

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I understand that you would push the turn. But GIVEN that you got to the river how Giga did, I'm saying you cant check behind.

Even if Gigabet has more of a read etc etc and is a bit speculative heading into the river, the check dispells all of my worries about being behind there. This is a party 100er, not Danny N playing Phil Ivey and having a sick read that a river bet will fold him out but a check will induce a bet.

I also get my money in before the river FWIW.

Everett
Old 10-16-2005, 04:31 PM

OK. Given you put him on range Y and only called the turn, what hands that checked are you now ahead of?
Old 10-16-2005, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OK. Given you put him on range Y and only called the turn, what hands that checked are you now ahead of?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I have him on range Z. Just because Giga took this line because he had villain on range Y does not make range Y any more correct. Based on the villain's action, which is the only information available to both me and Giga, I could see him having Ax, KQ/KT, and a small chance of QJ/JT/QT.

IMO the only thing that can make a push incorrect here is a read on the villain, which we do not have. OK sure maybe he had QT in this particular hand and we're supposed to OOOH and AAAH at Giga's read but the vast majority of the time this hand goes down against a party 100er pushing is correct. So is getting the money in sooner.

Everett
Old 10-16-2005, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's my problem. How much are willing to hope he has a lousy ace?
Old 10-16-2005, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well I have him on range Z. Just because Giga took this line because he had villain on range Y does not make range Y any more correct. Based on the villain's action, which is the only information available to both me and Giga

[/ QUOTE ]

The only thing Gigabet is doing in this hand that you are not doing is trusting his turn read, range Y, enough so that the river check changes nothing at all.
Old 10-16-2005, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Well I have him on range Z. Just because Giga took this line because he had villain on range Y does not make range Y any more correct. Based on the villain's action, which is the only information available to both me and Giga

[/ QUOTE ]

The only thing Gigabet is doing in this hand that you are not doing is trusting his turn read, range Y, enough so that the river check changes nothing at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

I also was trusting my turn read, which told me to jam. I see your point, that if your read tells you to call the turn then yes I guess you should check the river. But I disagree with that read. So on the turn and river I'm going to be telling you to jam it in there, because that's my read and I'm standing by it.

I really want to see more justification for having a read that would make someone take this line though. I haven't seen anyone be in favor of it except for Giga himself. I just think he's getting a little TOO fancy here. Lloyd, let's see this "master" analysis.

Everett
Old 10-16-2005, 05:19 PM

I think the point of this hand is Way ahead way behind.

And the takeaway is that villain will fold to a:
push on the flop
push on the turn
push on the river (difficult laydown)

When he is behind.

Every push is poor in my opinion, and everyone is assuming that villain will call when he is behind.