Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2004, 02:21 AM

Default Re: Please stop using \"Retarded\"

[ QUOTE ]
You think calling a person a retard is equivalent to saying someone butchered a hand? How about if I say so-and-so jewed me down on a price? I had someone accuse me of this just last week, the second time in my life I heard the expression. Should I not be offended?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if I were Jewish I don't think I'd be offended, because thrift and frugality are invaluable traits--and are, along with industry, the keys to success, according to Ben Franklin and "Poor Richard" Saunders.

Rather, I'd be pleased, and secretly laugh at their complimenting me so unwittingly.

Remember, never accept an offer, always counteroffer;-)
Old 05-06-2004, 02:42 AM

Just curious if you consider "idiotic" and "moronic" to be somewhat less objectionable?
Old 05-06-2004, 04:12 AM

Default OK, PEOPLE, ENOUGH IS ENOUGH...

This has gotten far too out of hand! So I propose a very simple solution. "Retard" is most certainly a word that can be easily taken out of context. What we need is a substitute that when said (typed) boldly expresses the meaning of our thoughts, but at the same time, lacks the stereotypes that may offend an entire subgroup within our population.

I propose that henceforth, any time one might feel the need to refer to an opponent as a "retard", that instead he refer to said opponent as an "ericd". For example, Hero open raises UTG+1 with KK, all fold to clueless "ericd" in CO+1 who 3-bets. All fold to Hero who most happily caps.

With your assistance, I believe in this manner we may carelessly offend the least number of people while still getting our jollies off at someone else's stupid play.

This has been a public service announcement brought to you by ThrillFactor Productions. The views expressed within may not be those expressed by 2+2 Forums, it's sponsors, or those directly or indirectly associated.
Old 05-06-2004, 07:08 AM

Default Re: Good Bye

Clark,

Other than Michael Davis, I have not responded directly anyone. However, since you are clearly one of the leaders of this site, I will to you.

Yes, I am seriously fed up. Not with what people say here but with the way people treat others who are different. I had no idea that asking people not to use retarded the way it is used here would cause such an uproar. I do know there are many "lurkers" who share some of my views and are glad I hung in there.

I clearly don't fit here. In the future I will lurk on the poker forums since it would really be stupid of me to cut off that learning tool.

I hope that life in general treats you as well as poker has. Good-bye and good luck.

Eric
Old 05-06-2004, 08:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
sentance. Why are you making it three sentances

[/ QUOTE ]

Very gay spelling
Old 05-06-2004, 09:06 AM

If one person intends to express with words that he has judged himself to be superior in some way to another, the task is easily accomplished. Even an idiot can do it.

Tommy
Old 05-06-2004, 01:09 PM

eric,

As way off base as I happen to believe you are on this issue, I refrained from entering the conversation. Until, that is, you went way off the deep end with the post to which I responded. Saying people who use the word retarded would allow harm to come to their children is pretty ignorant. You basically accused everyone on this forum who has used that word of being so uncaring and hateful that they wouldn't care for their children/family/friends should they happen to need it. I mean, give me a freaking break.

There is a huge difference between using a word that is insensitive vs. neglecting and abandoning loved ones. You went from "you people are insensitive jerks" to "you people are evil and are going to hell and I pray no one suffers from your uncaring nature". That is what caused my response.
Old 05-06-2004, 01:36 PM

Clark,

Please do some research into Group Homes for handicapped children. Many of the children who reside at them have been abandoned by their parents.

I was accusing no one on this site of anything. However, I do assume this site reflects a cross-section of the general population, no better/no worse.

If you are qualified to make expert comments on this topic I would be glad to hear from you. Otherwise, please refrain.

Eric
Old 05-06-2004, 01:59 PM

Your response pretty much proved Clark's point.
Old 05-06-2004, 02:01 PM

"Please do some research into Group Homes for handicapped children. Many of the children who reside at them have been abandoned by their parents."

Duh. What does that have to do with people here?

"I was accusing no one on this site of anything."

Oh really?

[ QUOTE ]
I hope those of you who use retarded with such disregard for others only have children who are blessed with no problems. If not, those children will not stand a chance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds to me like you are making broad generalizations and accusations. The quoted statement is so ignorant that it demanded comment.

"If you are qualified to make expert comments on this topic I would be glad to hear from you. Otherwise, please refrain."

I don't need to be an expert to know you are way out of line to tell me that because someone uses a word you dislike it means that their children are doomed to neglect.

From elsewhere:

"I find it hard to understand why there is so much resistance to using word B instead of word A when word A may offend someone. Even if the one being offended is being somewhat oversenstive why not exceed to their wishes."

Where does it end? Religious people are offended by gambling, shall we all stop playing poker? Why do your rights supercede the collective rights of everyone who disagrees with you?

Get over yourself.