Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2005, 11:42 AM

Default Re: Ab Exercises/Getting that 6-pack

[ QUOTE ]
these threads are always so stupid. Its mostly people who have no idea what they are talking about, giving out lots of bad advice. If you wanna learn what to do for abs, go down to the bookstore and look at some exersise books, there are lots of them specifically for your abs. Youll learn alot more there than you will from this thread

[/ QUOTE ]

The bad advice is coming from the very source you're pushing people to. Popular fitness books from your local Barnes & noble. Pop fitness is as much a load of crap as pop diets. Half the ab books are from the same authors/editors that put out the fad diet books.

With that said, if all the op wants is a six pack and doesn't care about actually being fit, maybe those books are what he needs. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-18-2005, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ill clarify the statements I made earlier about squats, but first let me say, Alobar you have no idea what the hell you are talking about. I dont do cardio, at least I do it very rarely anymore. I eat clean and I lift very heavy weights (squat 455, dead over 500, bench 275), and even though Im fairly fat now, 25lbs heavier than I should be to have my 6 pack back, it will take me about 2 months to drop that weight, because i know how to train, and eat correctly. But, back to the squats, working the largest muscles in your body, ie your core/legs, forces the rest of your body to catch up. The body adapts very quickly, so you if you can squat 300+ weight for many reps, there is no way you will have small arms, becuase your body just adapts to being able to handle that much weight (even though you may not be using your arms for that exercise). Im not saying that isolation exercises are totatally unneccasary, but a begginer trainee is much better off not wasting time in the gym on them. Personally, I have 3 days in the gym, one for squat, one for deadlift, one for bench, each day I do that main exercise, and then a series of lifts that help all the little muscles that are used. Ive been lifting for 5-6 years, but it was only abotu 2.5 years ago that I learned how to do things right, and once I did, I couldnt stop growing.

[/ QUOTE ]

100% correct

One thing:

[ QUOTE ]
Im not saying that isolation exercises are totatally unneccasar

[/ QUOTE ]

I am [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-18-2005, 12:17 PM

I do, do some isolation movements, curls, tricep rope pulldowns and things, you dont have to do them, but it does help a little bit, when you are at a sticking point with your training, but any newb wont have to worry about sticking points for at least 2 years of consistent training.
Plus I admit, I like the pump in my arms, after Im done.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

there's the truth. unnecesary but... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-18-2005, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I do, do some isolation movements, curls, tricep rope pulldowns and things, you dont have to do them, but it does help a little bit, when you are at a sticking point with your training, but any newb wont have to worry about sticking points for at least 2 years of consistent training.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I suppose totally unneccasary was a bit much. Maybe this is better:

By the time you actually NEED to do an isolation exercise, you won be asking if you shoud?
Old 08-18-2005, 12:20 PM

Ya, thats probably the best way to put it.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jake, alobar has no clue in hell what he is talking about. Just another sheep that doesnt do any research to support his disinformation. It makes them feel better that they dont have to get all sweaty and icky lifting those heavy weight thingies- and that they can drink their mocha lattes on the treadmill.

[/ QUOTE ]

work on your reading comprehension. I never said not to lift weights, I said that people whos goal is weight loss and spend their time lifting weights because they heard that the more muscle you have the more calories you burn, are retards, because while it is a true statement it is so benign in terms of their goal, its laughably funny. They should be doing cardo. Obviously you fit in that catagory.

and for the record, I sweat way more and work much harder during my cardio workouts than you ever will in your gym. Oh, and then when Im done, I go lift those heavy weight thingies.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:23 PM

and for the record, I sweat way more and work much harder during my cardio workouts than you ever will in your gym

Have you ever done a set of 20 deep squats?

Its usuually followed by the literal inabilty to walk, and/or vomiting.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and for the record, I sweat way more and work much harder during my cardio workouts than you ever will in your gym

[/ QUOTE ]

This was why the next sentence in his post was funny.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes

Have you ever ridden a century? (100 miles on a bicycle)