Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2005, 09:13 AM

Default Re: 3/6 short now at Party nm

The 3/6 full games at party have been great for the past two months. Full of mainly horrible opponents and a few TAGs. I don't know why anyone would think they were unbeatable.

Up until last night, on weeknights there were usually 20+ 10-handed games with pots bigger than 7 big bets on average. Last night there were about 5. I'm a little disappointed with the change, mainly becuase I had a challenge for myself that I wanted to play 100K hands of 4-table 3/6 full to get some insight into my capabilities and do some analysis of my statistics. I am only at 26k of 4 tabling since I started in May.

As an experiment last night I played the same # of hands of 3/6 6 max as I usually play of full in a night and I found that certain unmentionable side benefits were higher than in a full game. I don't know that this would be the case long term. Also I found that many of the players were really bad, but the LAGs play appeared to be more correct in the 6 max than in the full.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:22 AM

Default Re: you guys are all paranoid

Exactly.

Artificially creating games at higher limits is just asking the fish to bust out sooner. $3/$6 now allows a more natural progression AND allows quite a few of the $1/$2 idiots to try a higher level without getting too stretched.

I think Cooke/Feeney/Malmuth talk about how it is better to have people playing at their own level and losing money SLOWLY over a long time, than coming in and getting beat up and stopping playing altogether.

For those who think $3/$6 SH on Party is bad, think again. You are being short-termist.

If good players can beat B&M mid-limit games ($20/$40 up) for 1 BB/hr playing 30-40 hands/hr then it should still be possible to win 2-3 BB/100 even in a tougher $5/$10. Granted though, it may not be possible to do this 4-8 tabling. Poker evolves, Party must respond to demand or lose business.

Now perhaps they can get on with some other things, like their customer service, the crap graphics, cranky software and ridiculously outdated system of rake (why do they need to take whole chip amounts for the rake in an electronic environment?).
Old 06-29-2005, 09:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The 3/6 full games at party have been great for the past two months. Full of mainly horrible opponents and a few TAGs. I don't know why anyone would think they were unbeatable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.

I was going to start 8-tabling(up from 6 tables) these games pretty soon. People who complained about 3-6 were simply not good poker players. Looks like I'm going to be learning short-handed play now. Ugh
Old 06-29-2005, 10:03 AM

first night at party 3/6

total hands 563, total won $522.83, BB/100 15.48

Granted i ran extremely good, but these games were as easy as the 1/2 games, you just won more. Much easier to win here than 5/10 IMO. They don't punish you enough when you are losing and they pay you off when you are ahead.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Oh shit. Does that mean this isn't going to happen anymore [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]:

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB caps</font>, Hero calls, MP calls, Button calls.

Flop: (16 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP calls, Button calls, SB calls.

Turn: (12 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP folds, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button caps</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

River: (24 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button caps</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 36 BB

Results:

SB has Qd As (one pair, tens).
Hero has Kd Ad (flush, ace high).
Button has 3d 5d (flush, ten high).
Outcome: Hero wins 36 BB.

[/ QUOTE ]

W
T
F

wow
can
i
please
have
sbs
party
sn
pleeeease
thanks

[/ QUOTE ]
My call on that river cap would definitely be a crying call.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed. and what's with the call-3bet?
Old 06-29-2005, 11:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
5-10 will remain good and so will 3-6.

[/ QUOTE ]

5/10 will get significantly worse. it doesn't take master poker theorist to figure this out

[/ QUOTE ]

You really think all of your 5/10 fish are just running to 3/6? That suddenly they're going to start showing judgement, which would be counter to the whole reason that they're profitable.

Short term, I don't see much change to 5/10. Long term as the 5/10 fish burn out, they won't be instantly replaced from 1/2, but there will always be fish.

It will hurt 3/6 full, but long term I think the vast majority of 8 tabling 3/6ers will benefit from being forced to learn SH and play less tables.
Old 06-29-2005, 12:22 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

3/6 and 5/10 are close. you'll get some people jumping from 1/2 but for the most part you're splitting the 5/10 pool into 5/10 and 3/6, and where do you think the softer game will be? so what effect does that have on the other game?
Old 06-29-2005, 12:29 PM

I guess I disagree with that. I don't see a split at all. Yes, maybe a few people will move down, but I doubt it will be enough where you'll see a dramatic effect.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:35 PM

have you played the 5/10 since the split, its a lot tighter already.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
have you played the 5/10 since the split, its a lot tighter already.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't noticed. I've been killing 5/10 since it split. Much due to luck though :-)