Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2005, 06:01 PM

Default Re: FILM: Favourite film moment, ever?

The old granny and dog on speed in There's Something About Mary.
Old 09-23-2005, 06:22 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

Lots of 'em.

But the one that still makes the fur go up on the arm is from Rocky. The end of round 2. Jergens takes his cigar out of his mouth with a look of realization that he greatly underestimated Rocky. A bit later, the announcer mentions, "This is gonna be a tough one!" Then the music cues in. The war is on!

b
Old 09-24-2005, 04:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Blade Runner - Rutgar Hauer and Joe Turkel - the Prodigal Son scene:

"Can the maker repair what it has made?"

"The candle that burns twice as bright burns twice as fast, and you have burned so very, very brightly, Roy."

"....I want more life, Fuker."

"...I've done...questionable things."

"Also, extraordinary things."

"Nothing the God of bio-mechanics wouldn't let you into heaven for?"

Phenomenal scene.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree 100%. but i think i enjoyed the scene at the end where batty saves deckard

Roy: Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it? That's what it is to be a slave.

[Deckard falls, Roy catches him.]

Roy: I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the sholder of Orion. I watched sea beams glitter in the darkness at Tan Hauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain. Time to die.

Deckard (voice-over): I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life, anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Gaff: You've done a mans job, sir. I guess your through, huh?

Deckard: Finished.

Gaff: Its too bad she won't live. But then again, who does?

powerful stuff. best movie ever imo *goes to watch blade runner*
Old 09-24-2005, 04:38 AM

Default Live Morricone concert - The Intro

This summer Morricone toured with an orchestra, directing it to a sampling of his soundtracks - he has written some 400 soundtracks and only about five percent of them were for westerns!

There was a little something before the sold-out event started in Milan, Italy, and it is shown live on TV. Five riders, appeared in the darkening distance, at the far end of the avenue leading up to the theatre, which is located at the centre of the city but traffic does not go there. As they get closer, the audience going to the concert moves to the side, some whistled and others started to clap but soon everyone fell ABSOLUTELY quiet and took in the spectacle.

The cowboys passed with a tired trot and we now see they were some kind of renegade bandits who must be on the run, after some battle with the forces of the law, their faces in caked blood, their clothes ripped and dusty, all of them some thousand miles of road showing. A half-Indian, a kid with dirty blond hair and even dirtier bandana, an old man with a long rifle, a heavy man who took close care of two heavy bags containing god knows what, and a Mexican with the ugliest sobrero you ever saw. Those folks passed everyone slowly without glancing and headed for the concert's entrance - when a dozen police squad cars' lights lit up the dark and the riders had to stop, surprised.

A gun fight ensued between the city policemen of the 21st century and the 1890 bandits. The cowboys fell one by one on the asphalt, noisly and bloodily, to their death, except for the blond kid who seemed a good rider and evaded most shots and also killed a lot of police. The guns eventually fall silent and the policemen stood up taking aim at the kid, who stops firing too and looks around for a way out of this.

The kid picked up the two bags from the dead chief's horse and turned towards the entrance. Started galloping, the police strated firing. The kid, our best stuntman, galloped the hundred yards or so to the dark entrance, letting off shots left and right to the surrounding police who were firing back at him in red fury, and then HIS HORSE LEAPED COMPLETELY OVER THE LAST POLICE CAR BLOCKING THE ENTRANCE TO THE OLD WEST OF ENNIO MORRICONE and makes it inside the arena entrance where he disappears in a torrent of smoke, gunfire, lights, shouts, curses, and the pyrotechics of dynamite.

At this point the lights over the entrance lit up MORRICONE A MILANO. The concert shall begin with "L' Ecstasi Dell' Orro", from "The Good, The Bad And The Ugly".

---The above is the synopsis for a little show that a group of Ennio fanatics wanted to put on before his concert this summer. The police ruled it out for reasons of crowd safety.
Old 09-24-2005, 04:48 AM

In Taxi Driver when DeNiro fights his way into the hotel room where Jodie Foster is, after shooting the mafia guy in the head, he picks up another gun, tries to shoot himself but its out of ammo, aims it back at the mafia guy's head and tries shooting him in the head more, then crawls ontop of the couch and tries shooting himself in the head with his hand when the cops enter.

If that is too long then just the shooting his head with his hand and he is all bloody and stuff and smiling.
Old 09-24-2005, 04:50 AM

In 'Before Sunrise' when Jesse and Celine are in the booth listening to the record. Ya, it's a chick moment, but the way Linklater captured those brief moments of awkwardness was just perfect.
Old 09-24-2005, 05:39 AM

Can't pick, and some are more scenes than moments, but I'll make a short list, in no particular order.

Tuco running through the graveyard in The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly.

Giuletta Masina facing the camera in the final shot of Nights of Cabiria

The shadow of Nosferatu creeping over a whole building in London

Clint Eastwood telling several guys he wants them to apologize to his ass in, I think it was, For a Fistful of Dollars

Bruce Lee psyching Chuck Norris into fixating on the foot he is going to kick him with in Return of the Dragon

Any number of scenes of the boy playing with his little sister in Graveyard of the Fireflies

The final shot of The 400 Blows, and the shot it was stolen from in La Atalante

Grace Kelly's slow-mo kiss in Rear Window

Jimmy Stewart's horror in the last shot of Vertigo

The young boy in My Life as a Dog trying to keep from splashing himself in the face with his own glass of milk for no reason, but failing.

Cary Grant advancing up the staircase with the poisoned glowing glass of milk in Suspicion.

Karl Kolchak bolting screaming out of the closet he was hiding terrified in while the monster was hanging up his coat in it, because he just can't stand the fear anymore, so what the hell, I guess. Absolutely idiotic but totally understandable at the same time, especially with the great Darren McGavin as the actor. This was actually from a t.v. pilot, but it's still a truly great moment.

True Romance -- the famous scene between Christopher Walken and Dennis Hopper, where Hopper tells him Italians came from N*'s

Samuel Jackson's righteous biblical speech in Pulp Fiction

Samuel Jackson's righteous advice to Ringo in Pulp Fiction

Rutger Hauer's quick few lines at the end of Blade Runner about his memories being lost forever like tears in rain.

Bill Murray whispering something into Scarlett Johanson's ear at the end of Lost in Translation.

Robert DeNiro's wordless master class in acting in Heat, when he succumbs and decides to ruin his whole life, after he finally got everything he wanted, and to go against everything he is and has ever wanted to be.

There are so many more, too.
Old 09-24-2005, 05:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The end of Saving Private Ryan when he makes his wife tell him hes lived a good life...

[/ QUOTE ]

This line, and the whole cheesy scene Spielberg set up to milk the living hell out of its maudlin self, almost destroyed the movie for me. One of the worst lines and decisions in the career of a man who often seems incapable of making the right decisions. One of the worst lines and most gawdawful scenes I've seen in any movie ever.
Old 09-24-2005, 05:56 AM

Default Re: \"Nobody can eat 50 eggs . . .\"

[ QUOTE ]
Cool Hand Luke egg-eating contest.

Probably my all-time favorite scene from any movie.

TSP

[/ QUOTE ]

A great scene in a truly great and very underrated movie. We don't make films like that anymore and wouldn't dare to.
Old 09-24-2005, 05:58 AM

I read recently -- maybe it was here -- that in the original script it was something pretty mundane: "I'm glad I met you." I think that was it.

Good thing they dropped it. It became transcendental when it was left unknown.