Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2005, 05:53 PM

Default Re: Orange Bowl Big 8/12 Moment

Yea, that was pretty funny. One of the dumbest moves ever in coaching history. CU got so lucky to win the national title that year - don't forget about the 5 downs they got on the goal line at Missouri earlier in the season. The clip called on Rocket's punt return was pretty quetionable, but at least you could see where the refs possibly thought a clip had occurred.

When Dixon returned that punt for a TD against FSU, the coverage was so poor, that only a few guys on the return team had to throw blocks, and none of them were even close to being clips. I remember SI wrote in their next issue that player #? committed the clip. I didn't recognize the # so I checked the roster, and there wasn't even a player wearing that number during the game. That's when SI officially lost all credibility with me. They won't get it back until they print a retraction. Effing rag.
Old 07-29-2005, 05:57 PM

Default Re: Best and Worst Days of Your Life as a Sports Fan

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Best: the 1978 play-off game against Boston, the F-ing Bucky Dent game. Maybe the greatest baseball game ever. Sorry, Sox fans, I mean that as a compliment to your team. The fact that Yaz was the final batter was part of its greatness.

[/ QUOTE ]

Better than '75 Game 6, for example? Or '86 Game 6 Mets/Astros?

[/ QUOTE ]

I vote game 7 of the '91 World Series, Braves vs. Twins (I think I got the year right). Jack Morris pitched 10 freakin innings, and Lonnie Smith made one of the biggest base running blunders ever.
Old 07-29-2005, 06:04 PM

Default Re: Orange Bowl Big 8/12 Moment

[ QUOTE ]

When Dixon returned that punt for a TD against FSU, the coverage was so poor, that only a few guys on the return team had to throw blocks, and none of them were even close to being clips. I remember SI wrote in their next issue that player #? committed the clip. I didn't recognize the # so I checked the roster, and there wasn't even a player wearing that number during the game. That's when SI officially lost all credibility with me. They won't get it back until they print a retraction. Effing rag.

[/ QUOTE ]

For some reason, I think I actually remember this article. But the way I remember they showed still shots of the so called clip and questioned the call. However, I could be wrong, that was a long time ago.
Old 07-29-2005, 06:30 PM

worst: Game 7 2003 ALCS
best: Super Bowl XXXVI
Old 07-29-2005, 06:32 PM

Best: Aaron Boone? Vilma (in the 2006 Super Bowl?)

Worst: Reggie Miller. No question mark. Its not even close.
Old 07-29-2005, 06:37 PM

Worst: Boone, obv

Best: Don't remember the date, but the game where the C's came back from like 29 down to beat the Nets. I was in Cambridge for some celebration and it ended up with 15 of us all together in 1 tiny room going nuts as the C's came back from the biggest deficit in playoff history and beat the Nets. Too bad we lost the series.
Old 07-29-2005, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
actually, for the best, i was the starting PG on a b-ball state title team as a HS freshman. we came back down 18 at the half in the title game. that was pretty f*cking cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, this has inspired me. When I was a sophomore at my first retard school, I started PG for the basketball team. I didn't really have much of a purpose offensively other than distribution purposes and was mostly used because I wouldn't turn the ball over and I was great on defense, but we played this school that was really good. This one kid dropped 40 on us in that game but I kept us in it with 30 points included a left handed layup after having crossed up the kid who was nasty just as the buzzer went off. It was awesome. Not quite winning a state championship, but since I was in a school where nothing cool ever happened (besides the occasional kid going nuts), this was awesome.
Old 07-29-2005, 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This past April when the Tar Heels won the National Championship. I've been a diehard fan for quite some time, even through the Guthridge/Doherty era, and it was very satisfying to see them back on top.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, can't let this one go. It must have been so painful making a Final Four under Guthridge (albeit as an 8 seed) and being ranked #1 for a time with Doherty. Hell, UNC's won three national championships in my lifetime and one as recently as 1993. Are you like 16 years old? You have no idea what true suffering is like. This is almost as bad as Duke fans complaining about the Pete Gaudet season.

As a self-proclaimed Browns/Indians fan, I would have thought you would have more perspective.

I've heard OSU has a basketball team as well that could probably use the same support you guys give the football team. Just a thought.

I'll be sending you your invitation to the WAL*MART Tar Heel fan club...

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. My father's alma mater is UNC. So I've been supporting UNC basketball as long as I can remember. He never followed football much, and it also would have pretty impossible to support a UNC football team that I would have been able to see...uhhh...zero to one time a year?

I'm 21. I don't remember the 1993 National Championship all that well, and plus it is usually much more satisfying as a fan when a team comes out on top after having a rough period.

When I mentioned Guthridge/Doherty, it was simply to point out that I stuck with them when they were bad, UNLIKE many fans of teams such as UNC, the Yanks, or the Cowboys. And why the hell are you talking about "true suffering" for? Where did I say that the recent down years of UNC basketball brought me great suffering? Give me a break. The fact that I root almost exclusively for Ohio professional teams should be enough to prove that I am not a fan of the fairweathered, bandwagon variety.

So am I "allowed" to root for UNC now?
Old 07-29-2005, 06:49 PM

Yeah, game 6 in '75, a great game, was game 6, a game 7 followed; this was sudden death. And a big Yankees/Sox game is, by definition, bigger than an Astros/Mets game. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-29-2005, 06:51 PM

Great game, indeed. Lonnie, never a smart baserunner, got deked, IIRC.

Sox/Angels game in '86 (?) was another great one.