Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2005, 04:18 PM

Default Re: Kid on a leash

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Aye, I am not defending teh lady, but, I think that you ahve to be super-human to be able to not let your mind wander for 5 seconds while you are shopping and taking care of a more than 1 kid. And it really only takes 2 seconds for a kid to dart off somewhere. Honestly, I think my mom was afraid of someone kidnapping us, Ill ask her next time I see her.

[/ QUOTE ]
A lot of it has to do with talking to your kids as well, and reinforcing the importance of them staying close to you. Hear what I'm saying? Hold hands with them -- contact. Talk to them -- contact. It works. A lot of kids that act up, freak out, and run off -- thus being called "hyper-active" -- which many might see as justification for leashing them -- are just trying to get attention. Why? Not enough contact from Mommy and/or Daddy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, but in a super crowded enviroment, with a little kid, who doesnt know better, it only takes a couple seconds for him to get lost. My mom didnt use the wristband unless it was disney, and I think my dad actually made her throw it away now that I think about it. But, Ive babysat my little brother before, and I lost him for like 2 minutes at some store, and I take good care of him etc, it would almost be worth the funny looks from douchebag strangers to avoid that 2 minutes of losing your kid/sibling etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
I had my kids at Disney also. No leash. We can keep going over and over this -- but I'm not going to cave on any scenario. When we went to Disney, my son was little enough that he was in a stroller. My daughter held either my hand or my wife's hand, depending on which one was holding the stroller. And if one of us was with both kids, my daughter held on to the stroller while we pushed it. It's pretty simple.
Old 09-30-2005, 04:20 PM

As I've said before in this, I'm not a parent, so I really can't comment on what constitutes good parenting, but I'm going to disagree with you. The leash or tether or whatever you wanna call it is definitely more invasive than a child proof gate, but I've always thought that they served different purposes. I always thought that a child proof gate is to prevent accidents, not to keep the kid fenced in to a specific area (although that might be what's required to keep them safe). I always thought that the purpose of a leash was to keep eye on kids who were otherwise off the wall, in situations where they couldn't be watched every single second. Someone mentioned something about having the kid hold onto a shopping cart when you couldn't hold their hand. I know that when I was little I wouldn't have held onto a shopping cart for more than 5 seconds before I darted off someplace.
Old 09-30-2005, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Aye, I am not defending teh lady, but, I think that you ahve to be super-human to be able to not let your mind wander for 5 seconds while you are shopping and taking care of a more than 1 kid. And it really only takes 2 seconds for a kid to dart off somewhere. Honestly, I think my mom was afraid of someone kidnapping us, Ill ask her next time I see her.

[/ QUOTE ]
A lot of it has to do with talking to your kids as well, and reinforcing the importance of them staying close to you. Hear what I'm saying? Hold hands with them -- contact. Talk to them -- contact. It works. A lot of kids that act up, freak out, and run off -- thus being called "hyper-active" -- which many might see as justification for leashing them -- are just trying to get attention. Why? Not enough contact from Mommy and/or Daddy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, but in a super crowded enviroment, with a little kid, who doesnt know better, it only takes a couple seconds for him to get lost. My mom didnt use the wristband unless it was disney, and I think my dad actually made her throw it away now that I think about it. But, Ive babysat my little brother before, and I lost him for like 2 minutes at some store, and I take good care of him etc, it would almost be worth the funny looks from douchebag strangers to avoid that 2 minutes of losing your kid/sibling etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
I had my kids at Disney also. No leash. We can keep going over and over this -- but I'm not going to cave on any scenario. When we went to Disney, my son was little enough that he was in a stroller. My daughter held either my hand or my wife's hand, depending on which one was holding the stroller. And if one of us was with both kids, my daughter held on to the stroller while we pushed it. It's pretty simple.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would probably never use them, but I just dont think its a way "to avoid contact" with your kid, thats ridiculous. Maybe thats why my dad made my mom get rid of it. I just think that labelnig people who use them as "bad parents" is stupid, as I know my parents are/were great parents.
Old 09-30-2005, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know that when I was little I wouldn't have held onto a shopping cart for more than 5 seconds before I darted off someplace.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know that when I was little I wouldn't have darted more than 5 feet before my mom caught me and reprimanded me, and my brother would have laughed at me for getting yelled at.
Old 09-30-2005, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would probably never use them, but I just dont think its a way "to avoid contact" with your kid, thats ridiculous. Maybe thats why my dad made my mom get rid of it. I just think that labelnig people who use them as "bad parents" is stupid, as I know my parents are/were great parents.

[/ QUOTE ]
While I don't necessarily think parents do this to "avoid contact" -- at least not consciously -- I think it is poor and/or lazy parenting. I think in a lot of senses it's done by people that had kids because they figured they should, and don't really want to be bothered or hassled with raising them.
Old 09-30-2005, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I know that when I was little I wouldn't have held onto a shopping cart for more than 5 seconds before I darted off someplace.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know that when I was little I wouldn't have darted more than 5 feet before my mom caught me and reprimanded me, and my brother would have laughed at me for getting yelled at.

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL...ah, memories...
Old 09-30-2005, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You say your parents only used them at the biggest, most crowded amusement park in the world. OP was referring to a woman at the bagel shop. Bit of a difference. I think we can infer she and those like her use them on a regular basis.
Old 09-30-2005, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You say your parents only used them at the biggest, most crowded amusement park in the world. OP was referring to a woman at the bagel shop. Bit of a difference. I think we can infer she and those like her use them on a regular basis.

[/ QUOTE ]

This might be very true. It doesn't mean that that parenting choice is wrong for all people in all cases, as nearly everyone in this thread has implied.
Old 09-30-2005, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesnt matter to these guys, that is all Im saying. They basically called my parents bad parents, for even thinking about using one, which is stupid.
Old 09-30-2005, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This might be very true. It doesn't mean that that parenting choice is wrong for all people in all cases, as nearly everyone in this thread has implied.

[/ QUOTE ]
Kid on a leash is wrong -- no matter the situation. Sorry.