Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2005, 09:09 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default Re: A good example of how long swings can last -- why taking shots is

there is definitely some leakage. sometimes I get really confused. the first time an EP player raised and I had KQo in the BB, I was about to instinctively call before realizing how bad that would be. You just get used to people raising with all kinds of stuff so you forget that some raises, like UTG ones, actually mean something. as far as my short game, like blind stealing, blind defense, and isolation, it's helped tremendously and probably why I'm looser and more aggressive. eventually my numbers should settle down once I remember how to play full.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:09 PM

I just ran a filter on my DB and realized I'm closer to 18/12. I forgot about hands I played when the table got short. Sorry for the mix-up.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
there is definitely some leakage. sometimes I get really confused. the first time an EP player raised and I had KQo in the BB, I was about to instinctively call before realizing how bad that would be. You just get used to people raising with all kinds of stuff so you forget that some raises, like UTG ones, actually mean something. as far as my short game, like blind stealing, blind defense, and isolation, it's helped tremendously and probably why I'm looser and more aggressive. eventually my numbers should settle down once I remember how to play full.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're probably right. That being said, I'm sure my blind play and so forth could use some polishing. At some point, when I've built a ridiculous BR, I'm going to hit the 6 max tables hard. I've played quite a bit of them, but I've never actually focused on the game. I've burned off about 50K hands of 2/4 now while 8 tabling, and I'm 16.5/9.8. I'm not a big fan of those numbers, but I can only catch what I can while I'm playing that many. I'm not sure how practical it is to think that a person (normal) can play an A+ game while playing 8 tables. You try to catch what you can, but you can't watch every showdown to see what people are showing to get a good feel for their game. You've got stats and that's it. I think chief is going to be 8-tabling soon, and I'm really quite interested to see what happens to his numbers at that point.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the first time an EP player raised and I had KQo in the BB, I was about to instinctively call before realizing how bad that would be.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, I had that same problem when I moved back to full.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're probably right. That being said, I'm sure my blind play and so forth could use some polishing. At some point, when I've built a ridiculous BR, I'm going to hit the 6 max tables hard. I've played quite a bit of them, but I've never actually focused on the game. I've burned off about 50K hands of 2/4 now while 8 tabling, and I'm 16.5/9.8. I'm not a big fan of those numbers, but I can only catch what I can while I'm playing that many. I'm not sure how practical it is to think that a person (normal) can play an A+ game while playing 8 tables. You try to catch what you can, but you can't watch every showdown to see what people are showing to get a good feel for their game. You've got stats and that's it. I think chief is going to be 8-tabling soon, and I'm really quite interested to see what happens to his numbers at that point.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not so sure, that avoiding marginal spots while 8-tabling is the worst idea in the world.

A while ago at .5/1 Illunious posted some stats of his where he was beating the game for 5.5 BB/100 while 10-tabling. We were all marveling at how "tight" his stats were. Something like 20% VPIP from the SB and like 14-15% overall.

He specifically said, he avoided marginally +EV situations most of the time, simply in order to save clicks.

That said I am sure that some 8-tablers can pick those spots out just fine.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:23 AM

Default Re: A good example of how long swings can last -- why taking shots is bad.

What makes you think you have BIG leaks in your game? Why are you NOT confident you're a winning player? Everybody has leaks, you just need to make LESS mistakes than other players. I think it's IMPOSSIBLE to play a perfect game at ALL times! You just make less mistakes than others. You sure look like a winning player to me! I've been winning 3+BB/100 40,000+ hands and I'm sure I made lots of mistakes but just not as much as my opponents! I've been a winning player for years and only recently kept detailed tracks. I think you're doing fine. I understand your pessimism because I've been there many times but you seem to be a player who THINKS about plays judging from your post so keep it up. You seem to be a winning player.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:40 AM

Haha. I like your dipping your toes concept, but it actually makes a lot of sense there.