Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2005, 05:22 PM

Default Re: Profitability of SnGs

That was kind of my point. Why would anyone do it?

I'm of the opinion that 40% could be achieved by the very best players, but it would be a pointless exercise to play enough SNGs to prove it when they could be playing higher and making more money.
Old 06-06-2005, 05:31 PM

I've done it, but I don't feel the need to keep repeating the reasons why.

Everything said in this thread about moving up is fine for amateur players.

Lori
Old 06-06-2005, 06:17 PM

I sweated a friend yesterday playing an $11. If the play that I saw was typical I would believe 60%+ is possible. LOL. It was amazing. 8 huge nonthinking holes on the table.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I sweated a friend yesterday playing an $11. If the play that I saw was typical I would believe 60%+ is possible. LOL. It was amazing. 8 huge nonthinking holes on the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is still plenty of luck involved. AA does lose to A3 every so often...
Old 06-06-2005, 07:27 PM

That's the factor that seems to be left out of a lot of threads postulating or claiming huge ROI's.

Even poor players actually DO get good cards sometimes -- maybe better than yours OMG!, just like even great players sometimes get miserable cards. And even poor players start out with bad cards and get lucky. Being a good player isn't enough, and having good cards isn't enough, sometimes. It sure as hell helps a lot, but nobody too big to get taken down at the card tables. It's going to happen to anyone and everyone, inescapably.

If poker wasn't subject to big swings, there wouldn't be any fish to feed the sharks. It's a swingy game, and that alone is enough to keep the sharks from posting insanely dominating stats for truly long periods of time. The long run in poker is so long that anomalies can exist for a very long time, but the universe tends to unfold as it should, to steal a line from Harold and Kumar Go To Whitecastle.
Old 06-06-2005, 07:46 PM

Yes, I understand. I was joking about the 60%. The play was incredibly bad though.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:48 PM

One thing that I think has only been briefly touched on is the role of bonuses. At least on the Party and skins network, these clearable playing LHE, but not SNGs. This of course does add to BB/100.

One real problem converting from BB/100 to BB/Hr. when looking at limit is that you really will not be on all 4 or all 8 tables for a full hour always. Taking time to practice good game selection, and then little things like waiting to post, pissbreak, etc. lower the hands per hour.

FWIW, I primarily 4-table $2/4 and $3/6 ring LHE.

Good discussion. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-06-2005, 10:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One thing that I think has only been briefly touched on is the role of bonuses. At least on the Party and skins network, these clearable playing LHE, but not SNGs. This of course does add to BB/100.

One real problem converting from BB/100 to BB/Hr. when looking at limit is that you really will not be on all 4 or all 8 tables for a full hour always. Taking time to practice good game selection, and then little things like waiting to post, pissbreak, etc. lower the hands per hour.

[/ QUOTE ]

All Party bonuses are raked hands, not based on Party Points? Or do you not get Party points for SnGs?
Old 06-06-2005, 11:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

All Party bonuses are raked hands, not based on Party Points? Or do you not get Party points for SnGs?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, all bonuses are by raked hands (i.e. SNGs don't count). But you DO get Party Points for SNGs.