Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2004, 01:44 PM

Default Re: Dids\'s WSOP \'05 Get Less Fat Incentive Plan.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
have our genetics changed, or our lifestyle and diet?

[/ QUOTE ]
I would guess both

[/ QUOTE ]

Genetics don't work like that, and I'm not guessing. But believe what you will.
Old 07-15-2004, 01:44 PM

The thing is- my weight gain didn't come from genetics. It came from horrible, horrible eating habits and being totally lazy. It isn't like I was living a normal lifestyle and just got big.
Old 07-15-2004, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The thing is- my weight gain didn't come from genetics. It came from horrible, horrible eating habits and being totally lazy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine too. I'm on the "Get off your ass and exercise and quit eating so much crappy food" plan. Going well so far. Good luck to you.
Old 07-15-2004, 01:48 PM

I like your idea and have thought about doing something similar. I have three suggestions:

1. Do not make your workout schedule so rigid. You are setting yourself up for failure. Every day, you should try to do something active. Any activity will do: walking, running, weights, sports, golf, mowing lawn. Even if it is only 15-30 minutes. If you do something most days, there will be a cumulative effect.

2. Try to focus on eating healthy food as opposed to avoiding junk food. If you search out healthy food, you will crave junk food less. If you have to have an unhealthy snack, try to cut yourself off after a small amount, but don't totally deny yourself.

3. If you must eat out, try to order less food. Even if you feel you will not be full, just tell yourself you can have something else in a couple hours. Also tell yourself that you will not be starving for a while.
Old 07-15-2004, 08:24 PM

You are 100% wrong here.

It has nothing to do with "making your stomach cool" or "core body temperature" in the sense you mean it.

It's very simple. Cut-n-Pasted from science.HowStuffWorks.com: http://science.howstuffworks.com/question447.htm

[ QUOTE ]

For anyone trying to lose weight, this question is an exciting one! If you simply want to know if your body burns calories warming up the water, the answer is yes. But if you want to know if drinking a lot of ice water can help you lose weight, or keep weight off, this "yes" needs to be qualified with some calculations.
First of all, calories are case-sensitive. There are calories and then there are Calories. Calories with a big "c" are the ones used to describe the amount of energy contained in foods. A calorie with a little "c" is defined as the amount of energy it takes to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water 1 degree Celsius. What most people think of as a Calorie is actually a kilo-calorie: It takes one Calorie to raise the temperature of 1 kilogram of water 1 degree Celsius. So when you drink a 140-Calorie can of cola, you are ingesting 140,000 calories. There is no cause for alarm, because the conversion applies across the board. When you burn 100 Calories jogging a mile, you are burning 100,000 calories.

So, considering that the definition of a calorie is based on raising the temperature of water, it is safe to say that your body burns calories when it has to raise the temperature of ice water to your body temperature. And unless your urine is coming out ice cold, your body must be raising the temperature of the water. So calories are being burned.

Let's figure out exactly what you're burning when you drink a 16-ounce (0.5 liter) glass of ice water:

The temperature of ice water can be estimated at zero degrees Celsius.
Body temperature can be estimated at 37 degrees Celsius.
It takes 1 calorie to raise 1 gram of water 1 degree Celsius.
There are 473.18 grams in 16 fluid ounces of water.
So in the case of a 16-ounce glass of ice water, your body must raise the temperature of 473.18 grams of water from zero to 37 degrees C. In doing so, your body burns 17,508 calories. But that's calories with a little "c." Your body only burns 17.5 Calories, and in the grand scheme of a 2,000-Calorie diet, that 17.5 isn't very significant.
But let's say you adhere to the "eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day" nutritional recommendation. In 64 ounces of water, there are 1,892.72 grams. So to warm up all that water in the course of a day, your body burns 70,030 calories, or 70 Calories. And over time, that 70 Calories a day adds up. So, while you definitely shouldn't depend on ice water consumption to replace exercise or a healthy diet, drinking cold water instead of warm water does, in fact, burn some extra Calories!

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to burn approx. 3500 Calories to lose one pound of body weight.

At 70 Calories per day, it takes 50 days to burn 1 pound. 365 days per year, 365/50 is 7.3 pounds lost per year simply by drinking 8-8oz. glasses of ice water every day.

A side benefit (that may result in greater weight loss) is that drinking that water will shrink your stomach a little bit, as well as putting volume in your stomach. You should feel more full, and also be able to eat a little less and still feel full.
Old 07-16-2004, 02:10 AM

About 80% of that thing is just explaing what a calorie is. Not exactly high level information you dug up. Anyway, yeah the math works out if you look at it like that. But human matabolism is a little more complicated than that.

Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Just have a look at any of the 7000 sites selling fat-burn this or that. They have all kinds of complicated sounding science "explaining" how their magic pill "melts off the pounds". [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I assure you the temperature of the water you drink won't affect weight loss/gain in any measurable way.

Old 07-16-2004, 12:34 PM

Default Re: I lost 40 in about 3 1/2 months, here\'s how:

First, a game with words to ensure that your goal is well-defined. Weight loss isn't a great goal. "Weight" includes fat, water, muscle, and brain tissue. Severing an arm is a great way to lose weight, but is that really your goal? Fat loss is probably your true intent. Other good health-related goals are to increase flexibility, cardiovascular fitness, and strength.

[ QUOTE ]
2000 calories is 2000 calories. If you eat 2000 calories/day and burn 2000 calories a day, you are not going to gain weight whether you eat 10 meals or 1.

[/ QUOTE ]

If all you are concerned about is your weight tomorrow vs today, then this is fine. However, if you want to lose fat weight instead of muscle weight, or if you want a long-term reduction, you can't look at just calories.

The most basic fact of fat loss is that you can only lose fat if you burn more calories in a day than you consume. However, this is complicated by biochemistry. Certain calories (carbs vs protein vs fat) and eating at certain times of the day might encourage or discourage fat burning.

If you eat 1000 calories right before bed, your body stores that as fat. Now you have even more fat to lose. When you get up the next day and work out, you body will burn through stored glycogen and then muscle mass before moving on to the fat. If you work out like this every day--running or walking in the mornings without having eaten anying--then it will be tougher and tougher to lose weight.

Many diets start with some trick for reducing stored water, which drops your weight very rapidly but not in any useful, long-term manner. Losing muscle mass will only make it harder to lose weight in the future. Starving your body just reduces your metabolism to the point that you have to starve even more to continue to lose weight. Generally, eating normally after such a diet just shoves that weight right back on.

The best answer for fat loss is to ensure that the food that you are eating does not harm your long-term goals. Eating protein encourages your body to burn fat for fuel. Eating carbs encourages your body to store excess calories as fat, and to consume muscles for energy. Dessert is especially bad because it's a signal to your body to store excess calories from the meal as body fat! Carbs are not always bad, though. The best time to consume candy and fruit is on an empty stomach, or before exercise. Multiple small meals makes it easier for your body to use protein, keeps your body from resorting to muscle-burning, and maintains glycogen stores so that you always have energy.

Putting on muscle mass increases the number of calories you burn throughout the day, which is why a number of diets (8 minutes a day, Body for Life, Burn the Fat) emphasize strength training. However, there are other methods (such as cardio) for burning more calories. Personally, I chose strength training because it takes less time out of my day. My regimen includes a moderate amount of carbs, strength training, multiple small meals with an emphasis on high-protein snacks, and one cheat day each week.
Old 07-16-2004, 01:26 PM

I'm a fatass myself...here's what I've learned so far.
<ul type="square"> [*]Walking/running is good, weight lifting and HIIT are better.
[*]5 meals a day is superior to 3.
[*]Pills don't work (but they will give you cool heart palpatations and random profuse sweating).
[*]Go here for motivation Men's Health Belly Off Club (It's like a 2+2 for fatasses).
[*]Go here to keep yourself honest Fitday
[/list]
Good luck,
J
Old 07-16-2004, 02:54 PM

This is completely misleading. I Should go look up the scientific word but your body "sheds" calories everyday. This "shedding" is based on genetics, metabolism, and other factors. Basically your body tries to reach an equaliberium on calories in vs. calories out. If you did nothing different in your day besides drink cold water you would not lose 7 pounds in a a year simply because of this fact. If anything you would continue to gain 1lb a year (which the average adult does, because this "Shedding" isn't the most proficient thing your body does, and its off by something like 20 calories a day under normal daily conditions).

How many people drink 98.6 degree water anyway? can you say nasty. And I don't see your average person losing 7lbs a year, so obviously it doesnt quite work the way you believe it does.
Old 09-11-2004, 05:08 PM

Default Accountability!!!

So Dids....Haven't seen anything on your blog.

How's it going??