Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2005, 04:11 PM

Default Re: people that are vegetarian

[ QUOTE ]

Not everyone is trying to accomplish anything in particular. Some of us just conscientiously choose not to support an industry we disagree with.

[/ QUOTE ]
Would you agree that factory farming for the purpose of vegetable production may be very harmful to the environment? Could one object to the practices that are used to provide us with such an abundant and ready supply of produce?
Old 09-09-2005, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Now I'm a vegetarian just because it's how I am. It's just normal now, and I don't really think about my "reasons" unless someone asks.

I'd also like to add here that I don't really care what other people eat. I want people to respect my choices, so I completely respect theirs.

[/ QUOTE ]

agree 100%
Old 09-09-2005, 04:14 PM

Ack, no, that's not what I meant. I meant that, if being vegan is your way of combating the industry, you're picking a really ineffective and inefficent way to do so.

Of course, this is largely predicated on vegan/vegetarianism being a signifigant amount of effort. If it's just something you naturally do, ok. But, I see my friend spend a lot of time looking at ingredient lists and, when traveling, it is definitly a challenge to find acceptable food.

The other day same friend was hungry but ended up not being able to make a sandwich because the bread that I had bought had some non-vegan ingredient in it. What did this accomplish? I probably threw away the last part of the loaf a few days later, and he wouldn't have even known if it was vegan or not, unless he read the fine print on the package.

Why not do something proactive instead. Spending just a few hours a year writing letter to congressmen would probably be more effective than a specific daily diet.
Old 09-09-2005, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Not everyone is trying to accomplish anything in particular. Some of us just conscientiously choose not to support an industry we disagree with.

[/ QUOTE ]
Would you agree that factory farming for the purpose of vegetable production may be very harmful to the environment? Could one object to the practices that are used to provide us with such an abundant and ready supply of produce?

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course. It's not all black and white. You can find fault with almost anything. It's up to the individual to weigh his priorities and his judgements, and come to his own conclusions on what is tolerable, and how, if at all, one should react. As I said, to each his own.
Old 09-09-2005, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ack, no, that's not what I meant. I meant that, if being vegan is your way of combating the industry, you're picking a really ineffective and inefficent way to do so.

Of course, this is largely predicated on vegan/vegetarianism being a signifigant amount of effort. If it's just something you naturally do, ok. But, I see my friend spend a lot of time looking at ingredient lists and, when traveling, it is definitly a challenge to find acceptable food.

The other day same friend was hungry but ended up not being able to make a sandwich because the bread that I had bought had some non-vegan ingredient in it. What did this accomplish? I probably threw away the last part of the loaf a few days later, and he wouldn't have even known if it was vegan or not, unless he read the fine print on the package.

Why not do something proactive instead. Spending just a few hours a year writing letter to congressmen would probably be more effective than a specific daily diet.

[/ QUOTE ]

This kind of clear headed writing has no place in OOT. Poof be gone!
Old 09-09-2005, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course. It's not all black and white. You can find fault with almost anything. It's up to the individual to weigh his priorities and his judgements, and come to his own conclusions on what is tolerable, and how, if at all, one should react. As I said, to each his own.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree completely. It just seems as though I have been faced with so many arguments regarding the horror and torture inflicted upon livestock. I suppose those opposed to meat production are much more passionate about that subject...
Old 09-09-2005, 04:28 PM

I was for about 30 years. I have no idea why. My Mom said I didn't even like the meat flavored baby food.

It had nothing to do with religion or personal beliefs (I was born and raised in the midwest), I just didn't care for meat. I was always a big seafood eater, though.

One day I got a craving for chicken. I was about 32, I think. I started gradually eating meat, and then wondered why I'd hated it for so long.

I still don't care for steak, it tastes like a lump of lead to me. Go figure. But I like pork, some turkey and chicken and certain cuts of beef.

Felicia [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-09-2005, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Now I'm a vegetarian just because it's how I am. It's just normal now, and I don't really think about my "reasons" unless someone asks.

I'd also like to add here that I don't really care what other people eat. I want people to respect my choices, so I completely respect theirs.

[/ QUOTE ]

agree 100%

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. The reason why I put up this post is becouse people ask me and I dont know what to say. I was hoping to get something good to say. I still dont know
Old 09-09-2005, 04:42 PM

There has to be SOME reason why you don't eat meat. Do you not like it? Do you feel bad about eating it? Do you not corelate it with food? Does it seem unhealthy to you? If there is NO reason I suggest you start eating it right away because damn... you're missing out.
Old 09-09-2005, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Me too. The reason why I put up this post is becouse people ask me and I dont know what to say. I was hoping to get something good to say. I still dont know

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds to me like it's just a simple preference for you. Nothing wrong with that. I don't really like chocolate cake either. People often react to this in horror. My best explanation is that I just don't like the taste.

This is a good way to go because then people don't feel judged by your personal decision (which, clearly, is exactly what a lot of meat eaters feel when they hear a person's vegetarian).

Marlow