Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2005, 02:24 AM

Default Re: Why do Jews Reject Jesus - Part 2

You know, I went to the Jewish Website and this is what they said about the afterlife:

"Afterlife
Contrary to popular belief, Judaism does believe in an afterlife, but it is not the primary focus of our religion and there is a lot of room for personal opinion about the nature of the afterlife"

That sucks man. Islam at least guarantees me 72 virgins, so I think I will join them. Although I do agree with this law of the Mitzoh:
# 572: That a menstruating woman is unclean and defiles others (Lev. 15:19-24) (affirmative).
Damn straight.
Old 07-22-2005, 02:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In Deuteronomy 5:19-21, the bible says that all the people heard God speak. This was when Moses went up to receive the ten commandments. They heard his voice, but did not see him. This was after the Jews were freed from slavery in Egypt.

The burning bush was a separate incident, which only Moses saw. That was before Moses went back to Egypt to free the people.

[/ QUOTE ]

And this story was written down how long after it supposedly happenned?

PairTheBoard

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it was written down soon afterwards.

How can a national revelation be faked?

Why don't christians believe what the bible says?
Old 07-22-2005, 02:36 AM

Muslims worship God, so it's an acceptable religion for gentiles.

Gentiles don't have to observe Jewish law, so you needn't concern yourself with any of that.

Because of the Oral Law, we understand many verses (from the written Torah) differently than Christians do.

kosher sex
Old 07-22-2005, 02:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The bible predicted that the Temple would be destroyed, and that we would be without it for a long time, until the messiah comes. Just why is that so hard for you to understand? The Temple existed, it was destroyed, and the bible says that it won't be rebuilt until the messiah comes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Give a citation that includes both a prophecy of the temple's destruction and that it won't be rebuilt until the messiah comes, which dates only previous to the last destruction by the Romans, and not prior to the first by the Babylonians.
Old 07-22-2005, 02:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"gt" is his snide reference to the New Testament which he calls the Greek Testament and abbreviates as "gt".

[/ QUOTE ]

"New Testament" is offensive to us, because it implies that our bible is no longer in effect. "Greek Testament" is actually a neutral term.

If I wanted to be snide or critical, I would call it something like the mcb ("moronic christian bible"). But I'm a nice guy, so I just call it the gt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since you make so much of the greek thing, why was it the rabbis who translated the hebrew bible into greek, a version known as the septuagint, some 200 years before the birth of Christ? Maybe because so many jews then only spoke greek?
Old 07-22-2005, 02:55 AM

Mr. Bossjj, I've read your posts with great interest. You've convinced me that in order to logically argue a theistic point against anyone who believes in the old testament, you need to argue using the precepts of Judaism. My Question regarding the Torah is this: Mark Twain in his essay where he refered to the bible ( I believe mostly the Old Testament) as a pack of lies, argued that among other stories, the Noah story is absurd. If God, handed Moses the Torah, so supposedly the Torah is devinely written, as opposed to a vague recollection of history by a writer such as maybe Moses himself, then how do Jews explain the absurdity of the Noah story.
Thank you for your reply.
Old 07-22-2005, 03:02 AM

Actually, this I find fascinating:

"The primary purpose of sex is to reinforce the loving marital bond between husband and wife. The first and foremost purpose of marriage is companionship, and sexual relations play an important role. Procreation is also a reason for sex, but it is not the only reason."

The Catholic view is opposite. The primary purpose of sex is procreation, while the secondary characteristic is pleasure. As the final end of sex is reproduction, the Catholic view is the more rational and logical of the two.

And again on Abortion:

"Jewish law not only permits, but in some circumstances requires abortion."

This is odd, as even non believers come to the logical conclusion that abortion is wrong. Again, Judaism is opposed to Catholic teaching.

And finally on homosexuality:

"Sexual relations between men are clearly forbidden by the Torah."

Ok, but then this:

"Interestingly, female homosexual relations are not forbidden by the Torah."

This is obviously contradictory in principle.

So from what you have shown me, Judaism is not a logical religion. It basically picks and chooses its morality from a subjective viewpoint instead of following a rational and consistent ethical system.
Old 07-22-2005, 03:10 AM

"Gentiles only need to follow the seven noahide laws. One of these laws prohibits idolatry. In worshipping a man (jesus) as if he were a god (or God), Christians are committing idolatry"

I'm not exactly the best person to be making this point, but I would think that this shouldn't qualify for idolatry since, to them, it is still the same God, I think.
Old 07-22-2005, 03:13 AM

And finally on homosexuality:

"Sexual relations between men are clearly forbidden by the Torah."

Ok, but then this:

"Interestingly, female homosexual relations are not forbidden by the Torah."

This is obviously contradictory in principle."

You expect those 72 virgins to just sit there and twiddle their thumbs while they wait for you?
Old 07-22-2005, 03:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The bible predicted that the Temple would be destroyed, and that we would be without it for a long time, until the messiah comes. Just why is that so hard for you to understand? The Temple existed, it was destroyed, and the bible says that it won't be rebuilt until the messiah comes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Give a citation that includes both a prophecy of the temple's destruction and that it won't be rebuilt until the messiah comes, which dates only previous to the last destruction by the Romans, and not prior to the first by the Babylonians.

[/ QUOTE ]

The prophecies don't have to date from after the Babylonian exile in order to be about the destruction of the second Temple. Many verses that describe the messianic era discuss the Temple being rebuilt in the messianic age. It is clear from the context that all of these verses are describing the messianic age, not the rebuilding of the Temple after the Babylonian exile. As I said in another thread:

Read all of Ezekial from chapters 40-48. The prophet goes into minute detail discussing the rebuilding of the Temple and the sacrifices that will occur there.

"For thus saith the Lord: David shall never be without man to sit upon the throne of the house of Israel. Neither shall the priest, the levites, be without man before Me to offer burnt offerings, and to kindle meat offerings, and to do sacrifice continually." (Jer 33:17-18)

"...and I will set My Sanctuary in the midst of them forevermore. My temple also shall be with them. Yes, I will be their God and they shall be My people. And the gentiles shall know that I the Lord do sanctify Israel, when My sanctuary shall be in the midst of them forevermore." (Ezekiel 37:26-28)