Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2005, 01:16 PM

Default Re: Curtains, Yugo, Skip do we have a bet?

[ QUOTE ]
Also "Zee" is pronounced "Zed" in England.

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure you're from England Lori? I went to bed around 4am (BST or GMT+1) (11pm EST i think) last night and you were still posting.. you normally stay up that late? Also, how come you didn't know that there are bars AND pubs in England? And what are you saying... my name should be Stanzed???
Old 09-22-2005, 01:24 PM

Default Re: I\'m back, serious thoughts on possible 215 ROI\'s

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If a reasonable person plays 1000 SNGs and has a 12% ROI, and then goes on a horrible run and drops 37 buy-ins over 50 SNGs... what will his answer be if you ask him "what is your ROI?"

He will say 12%. Even though it is not.

I see it all the time, on this forum and in person.

I see honest, professional, poker-playing friends respond the same way.

My 6% number is a REAL number. It counts misclicks, internet disconnects, drunken evenings, bad decisions, family deaths, and a breakup with your girlfriend. It counts a bad streak that may be worse than what you think you deserve. It also assumes that the player multi-tables.

Life and statistics happen.

Many players will play a lot of $215s and have better than 6% ROI. I know several with >10% for a long time.

But if you want to know what the true, expected long-term ROI of a great player over 1 year, or 10,000 $215 SNGs will be... it will be closer to my 6% than to any number suggested by other zealots.

Anyone who vigorously disagrees with this will not be around to argue the fact in 12 months. (a side bet I have yet to lose)

Irieguy

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably the smartest thing said in this entire thread. I have yet to meet a player who honestly takes into account every SNG played whether they're drunk/sober/upset, etc. They conveniently leave out cold streaks and thus don't get a true ROI reading.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just because some people you know don't count every tournament, doesn't mean that everyone is that unprofessional when keeping records. When you play poker for a living, it's not a smart thing to lie to yourself about your results.

Once again, just because a few select people do this, doesn't mean that everyone does.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:25 PM

Default Re: Curtains, Yugo, Skip do we have a bet?

[ QUOTE ]
Who the hell is Jordan Berkowitz?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yet another poster who hasn't yet discovered the magical mysteries of Google.Com. Here's your link.
Old 09-22-2005, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
so multi the $100's as there are more donks?

[/ QUOTE ]

can def make more 8 tabling 109s than 4 tabling 215s. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

you can def make more 8 tabling 215's. holla.

[/ QUOTE ]

.. i mean, are u joking? why even post that.. that has nothing to do with the argument.. and should be quite clear to anyone.. holla
Old 09-22-2005, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

.. i mean, are u joking? why even post that.. that has nothing to do with the argument.. and should be quite clear to anyone.. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necessarily. In Irie's signing off post he put $215s at 6% and $109s at 12% and 12% of 109 is more than 6% of $215. He seemed to think that for a "great" player anyway, the $109s were the most profitable, per tournament.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necessarily. In Irie's signing off post he put $215s at 6% and $109s at 12% and 12% of 109 is more than 6% of $215. He seemed to think that for a "great" player anyway, the $109s were the most profitable, per tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yet I am sure ZJ would say he will make more 8 or 12 tabling the 215s than the 109s...
Old 09-22-2005, 04:29 PM

Anyway for plenty of people I'm sure this is true. I mean that for a decent number of players, they will make more money 8 tabling the $109s than 8 tabling the $215s. I suppose this is rather obvious though.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

that was clearly not the point of my post. i said that MORE money could be made 8 tabling the 109s than 4 tabling the 215s for damn near anyone. this should be quite clear as to why.. and if its not.. umm.. and godamnit i wasnt even talking about 8 tabling 215s. rawr. a person of equal skill at both levels will make more at the 215s. cmon. dont waste posts. holla
Old 09-22-2005, 04:31 PM

I agree with raptor on this one of course [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I also agree that 2+2=4
Old 09-22-2005, 04:48 PM

"and should be quite clear to anyone"

I guess I misunderstood what you were referring to there, what with all the "holla's" flying around.

"dont waste posts"

Good advice, but I can't seem to help myself. Believe me, if I could go outside and watch 20 year old coeds walking around I wouldn't.