Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2005, 03:02 PM

Default Re: Most expensive thing you\'ve ever ate/drank?

I've seen a few references to Kobe beef in this thread but recently read that you can't get Kobe beef in the US as Japan forbids exporting any of it. Is this true?
Old 10-24-2005, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've seen a few references to Kobe beef in this thread but recently read that you can't get Kobe beef in the US as Japan forbids exporting any of it. Is this true?

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a farm in Virginia that got some of the Kobe cows. They feed and raise them the same way and everything. Not sure if it still qualifies as Kobe although everything about it is the same as the Japanese meat.

For anyone in No. Va, the Fairfax Wegman's sells Kobe steak and ground beef and it's not too expensive. In fact, I almost always buy it instead of a regular steak.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:55 PM

A lot of $300+ dinners, so I don't really remember which one is the most expensive. 3 that sticks out to me though as the best ones are the following:

I. I was invited to Amsterdam by CISCO to go to Amsterdam to meet some of the managers and ground floor workers at their regional headquarter. At that time I had lately traveled a lot inside Scandinavia, in which you did not need a passport and thus I managed to forget my passport [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]. At the airport, I remembered and told a CISCO-representative that was there to hand me the tickets about it. She said she could fix a later plane for me, but then I would miss an extraordinary dinner. It was appx. 40 minutes until the plane was leaving so I decided to hurry up. I ran to the police station to try to get a passport, but there all the officers were busy with a Swiss guy who had been expelled and seemed to be in serious trouble. I was polite, but after 5 mins I just told the police officers that I need their help immediately. They told me I would not get a passport without a picture, so I had to run to the other side of the airport to get a picture and then run back. They put the Swiss guy on hold and gave me an emergency passport and I then ran to the gate. The CISCO-worker had explained the situation, so the airline kept the doors open longer than ordinary, so that I could enter.

In Amsterdam, having checked in at the hotel and taken a shower [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img], some CISCO representative picked me up and we had a nice walk to the restaurant. It was definately worth the running, it was a sushi restaurant and we were sitting on a circular table with two designated chefs with a kitchen in the middle. They kept making sushi and other dishes to us for some hours. Watching them prepare the food made the dinner more exciting. I am a sushi lover and the taste was heavenly, never before or after have I tasted such good food.

2. On a visit to Paris, my employer (Alcatel) had hired a woman to organize dinner a night for me and my guests. She delievered [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]. We drove by a bus to an old castle previously owned by the Rotschild's family (if Mslif is reading maybe you can give me some information on this place since I met only French-speaking people there [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]). When we entered the stairs had people standing on both sides with costumes (from 17th century I think). They made a fanfare to salute our entry. Inside we entered into a room where the tables were filled with served drinks and waitresses with traditional customes to serve additionals, so we had a good party before entering into some dining hall. The food was surprisingly mediocre (usually it is very good in France) with some goose pate and some meat from wild animals but having the castle to ourselves was a great setting for a nice dinner/party.

3. In Paris about 2-3 am regular hang out we had (Latina cafe on Champs Elysses was closing) and some women we had met offered to show us the nightlife (nightlife meaning after 3 am [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]) of Paris. First we went to a ordinary night club on Champs Elysses. Then I convinced them to join me to go to a strip club, since I had a lot of friends that had gone there. They had a good time at the strip club and when we left the strip club at 5am we started to get hungry. They took us to a nice restaurant on Champs Elysses that was surprisingly open. Having a 3-dished dinner at 5 am when being drunk and tired was really a nice/slightly absurd experience, and kept us partying till about 9 am. What we ate and drank I don't remember [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img].

In general, all the wining and dining in Paris was really the best part of working for a French company since exclusive restaurants in Paris are really good. In other cities, I haven't always been too impressed with exclusive restaurants, but in Paris they almost never fail to deliever.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Louis XIV

[/ QUOTE ]

This was the most expensive drink I've drank.

[ QUOTE ]
The Louis tasted like any other cognac.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. And I like cognac a great deal. Figure the crystal bottle it's in jacks up the price.
(If you do want to spend money on a nice cognac, try Germain-Robin XO - less than 1/10 the price of Louis XIV and much better)
Old 10-24-2005, 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I went to a bar in the middle of March somewhere in central Ontario with 150 of my closest friends. I ordered a pint of beer for $3.50 and left a $1.50 tip. At the end of the night, after the bar is closed down, we're about to hop on a bus for a 40 minutes ride back home. I know I won't be able to make it that far without going for one last bathroom break. So I jog around the corner and begin to relieve myself behind the bar, when...
"Excuse me, sir. Can you put that thing back in your pants?"
Enter police officer, who proceed to collect my identification and hand me a ticket for "depositing in public". Add $130 to the cost of the beer.

Total: $135.00 for a pint of Canadian beer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a similar experience. A cigarette on the El platform almost cost me $500 b/c I missed my court date. As it was it turned out to be a $75 cigarette.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2. On a visit to Paris, my employer (Alcatel) had hired a woman to organize dinner a night for me and my guests. She delievered [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]. We drove by a bus to an old castle previously owned by the Rotschild's family (if Mslif is reading maybe you can give me some information on this place since I met only French-speaking people there [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]). When we entered the stairs had people standing on both sides with costumes (from 17th century I think). They made a fanfare to salute our entry. Inside we entered into a room where the tables were filled with served drinks and waitresses with traditional customes to serve additionals, so we had a good party before entering into some dining hall. The food was surprisingly mediocre (usually it is very good in France) with some goose pate and some meat from wild animals but having the castle to ourselves was a great setting for a nice dinner/party.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you may be talking about Chateau de Montvillargenne.It is about 20 minutes North of Paris. It is a beautiful place. Here is the LINK
Old 10-24-2005, 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I had either a Ketel & soda or Glenlivet neat at the Hard Rock that cost me about $10,000.

[/ QUOTE ]

I must be some kind of risk-averse sissyboy...I took off from Reno a few years ago, on a bright, sunny, July morning, intending to take 395 to Tioga Pass and cut through Yosemite on the way home. My breakfast at Atlantis cost me $300.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:44 PM

Thx for the link. However, it was not that one, it was not a hotel. I will try to google for it.

EDIT: googled and found it:

Le Chateau de Ferrieres
Old 10-24-2005, 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thx for the link. However, it was not that one, it was not a hotel. I will try to google for it.

Le Chateau de Ferrieres

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you. I have never been to this particular place. It is quite charming. I am glad you enjoyed Paris. I actually remember dealing with Alcatel when I was in France. I think they were the providers of the "minitel".
Old 10-24-2005, 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Le Chateau de Ferrieres

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you. I have never been to this particular place. It is quite charming. I am glad you enjoyed Paris. I actually remember dealing with Alcatel when I was in France. I think they were the providers of the "minitel".

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. A weapon used in the early fighting to try to make you use your phone as a computer rather than the computer as a phone when in future all your clients will merge. A battle that still continues.