Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2005, 06:00 PM

Default Re: poker ethics: do you wonder about who you\'re taking money from?

[ QUOTE ]
Not a leach? What service of any value do we provide to society? I take many things of value, both materially and in labor, when i spend the many thousands i have made. However, i have contributed nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

So what? Are professional chess players leeches therefore? What about professional golf players? Or tennis players? What exactly are they contributing to society? Checkmates? Holes-in-one? Aces?
Old 05-03-2005, 06:15 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

[ QUOTE ]
So what? Are professional chess players leeches therefore? What about professional golf players? Or tennis players? What exactly are they contributing to society? Checkmates? Holes-in-one? Aces?

[/ QUOTE ]

awesome
Old 05-03-2005, 07:22 PM

I posted about this once after cleaning out the worst HU fishie I have ever seen. I have learned to live with it.

Come back fishie! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-03-2005, 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"i love it! a firebreathing right wing reactionary. "

"seems to me that i am responding to a typical "ditto-head" here. "

No mention of my argument. I'm not surprised. Feel free to continue to attack me, I'm OK with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

your argument was addressed, in the fact that what you espoused was never stated by me, (that there should be protectionism.) the point was that you missed the point of mine, and just jumped in with your "typical liberal" remarks.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:56 PM

While poker as we know it is a negative sum game, economics in a free, capitalist society is a positive sum game. My gain can be had at no one's expense, impossible in poker.

There are tons of 'progressive' thinkers in America that do not recognize the ever expanding nature of our economy. This leads to the 'get even with the evil rich' train of thought. People get rich without pushing someone else down all the time.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
While poker as we know it is a negative sum game, economics in a free, capitalist society is a positive sum game. My gain can be had at no one's expense, impossible in poker.

There are tons of 'progressive' thinkers in America that do not recognize the ever expanding nature of our economy. This leads to the 'get even with the evil rich' train of thought. People get rich without pushing someone else down all the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I myself am a very strong democrat, but even though I consider myself far to the left, reality must be faced. Love and compassion does NOT make the world turn, you must be delusional to think so. If that was true, capitalism ceases to exist, since capitalism is based on the priciple that people are self-interested. If one is self-interested, and there is a FINITE amount of power, resources, money, etc., there is competition. Since there is competition, people are actively trying to get a leg up on everybody else. Just look at this very forum, Playerview is $50 for the first day, and people are ALREADY developing new alternatives.

Obviously you are right that the economy expands, but the reason that it expands is because of the very nature of capitalism. The ruthless competition that is found within is what makes capitalism work AND grow. It is a lot like Natural Selection, the strong prosper and create, and the weak end up as food.

You do not have to like what I have to say, but I think it is hard to honestly deny it. I do not really think any of you ACTUALLY think that love and compassion is what makes people rich and powerful. If you do, then why are you playing poker in the first place?
Old 05-03-2005, 11:06 PM

????????????????????

I didn't get it.
Old 05-04-2005, 11:35 AM

Ha ha, Recreational Therapist. I'm going to use that at the tables.

CountDeMonet
Old 05-04-2005, 11:46 AM

That sounds like a personal problem. DON'T BE SUCH A LEACH!!!

I stand as a shining example of how much better the fishes could play if they only had the patience and drive to better themselves. I am a real beacon of hope for them. That is an incredible contribution. Yes it is. Without me and others like me they would have no idea how good they could really be.

CountDeMonet
Old 05-04-2005, 02:53 PM

But wouldn't you say that poker is harder than collecting a benefit? If you treat poker like a business, then you can say that doctor is the same. s/he has worked very hard to get to where he is, and it takes a lot of work to become a doctor, just as it takes a lot of work to become a poker player. as a poker player, you are giving someone the chance to win some money off of you. There must be something that you are giving them, otherwise they wouldn't be coming back for more. (does that make much sense?)