Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2005, 05:44 PM

Default Re: Josh Beckett to the Red Sox

I know WHIP isnt the best tool to use when discussing the overall worth of a pitcher, but here are the MLB ranks of starting pitchers last year according to WHIP:

pedro
santana
clemens
pettite
peavy
carpenter
RJ
d train
smoltz
zambrano
colon
garland
silva
weaver
BECKETT

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 11-22-2005, 05:51 PM

why is everyone talking about the "fenway boost" that lowell is going to get? it isnt going to make him a better hitter.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:54 PM

Location: Hurricanes, animal corpses and your potential new tattoo have a lot in common. Think about it.

[ QUOTE ]
why is everyone talking about the "fenway boost" that lowell is going to get? it isnt going to make him a better hitter.

[/ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
It will certainly help his stats.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:14 PM

Mike,

This is a good deal for the Sox. Ignore the other Yankee fans who are trying to ruin it. They should be happy that the Yanks aren't out there trading Wang and Cano and our other limited young talent to "respond."

The Yankees will "respond" as we did this year, and perhaps you can again sneak into the playoffs. I only hope I can say "ha ha" as the Yanks beat the Sox in the ALCS.

Brett
Old 11-22-2005, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Mike,

This is a good deal for the Sox. Ignore the other Yankee fans who are trying to ruin it. They should be happy that the Yanks aren't out there trading Wang and Cano and our other limited young talent to "respond."

The Yankees will "respond" as we did this year, and perhaps you can again sneak into the playoffs. I only hope I can say "ha ha" as the Yanks beat the Sox in the ALCS.

Brett

[/ QUOTE ]

Holla!

also this:

and perhaps you can again sneak into the playoffs.

made me LOL! good one
[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-22-2005, 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

right, obviously it will help his stats but it will help everyones stats. it wont make him a better player, and as obvious as it is, there are sportswriters (not just fans) saying "oh those numbers will go up in fenway". well no [censored] sherlock, but that doesnt make him better relative to their other options.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

is there any historical precedence for a situation like lowell's? that dip in productuin last year was astounding considering he is still real close to peak age.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's called Steroids, Mike. Bought time you got a decent avatar too, punk.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

right, obviously it will help his stats but it will help everyones stats. it wont make him a better player, and as obvious as it is, there are sportswriters (not just fans) saying "oh those numbers will go up in fenway". well no [censored] sherlock, but that doesnt make him better relative to their other options.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's see. The other options are Joe Randa, Jose Valentin, ooooh and Joe McEwing is available.

This is essentially Bill Mueller vs Mike Lowell. Offensively that is a wash. Lowell has an edge defensively. From a performance standpoint, Lowell will be an upgrade for the Red Sox at third base.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:46 PM

Location: Hurricanes, animal corpses and your potential new tattoo have a lot in common. Think about it.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

is there any historical precedence for a situation like lowell's? that dip in productuin last year was astounding considering he is still real close to peak age.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's called Steroids, Mike. Bought time you got a decent avatar too, punk.

[/ QUOTE ]
While certainly possible, I really doubt that steroids are the only explanation for such a precipitous drop in performance. It's just as easy, and likely, to speculate that he was playing through an injury of some sort.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:02 PM

To those of you that might be arguing that the Red Sox gave up too much, or even enough, for Beckett and Lowell, just shut up.

From the Marlins point of view, I would assume that this was the best package they could get. What I want to know is where were the Dodgers? Where were the Diamondbacks? Where were the Cubs? Where were the Angels? Where were the Mets? Where was any other team that has two blue chip prospects to give up? No MLB team can complain about this deal because they either don't have as much to offer as Ramirez/Sanchez or didn't offer as much as Ramirez/Sanchez. If a deal is made at fair market value, nobody gets fleeced.