Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2005, 07:41 PM

Default Re: Geez... so many missing...

[ QUOTE ]
First- Its not wrong to call them fish. Its a short term that everyone recognizes that's easier then writing "horribly stupid players"

1) People who open-minraise or minraise when the're closing the action -- but then fold when anyone makes a real raise. (These are great people to have at the table if you want to checkraise)
2) People who minbet into a huge pot (then fold to a real bet)
3) people who have no idea what the language of betting means
4) people who limp on the button and slowplay their high pocket pairs
5) People who bet with a hand, but bet so small that any draw has the right odds to call.
6) people who play any 2 suited cards
7) 'any ace' players regardless of the pf action
8) This may just be immature and annoying, but when people sit at a table and says something like, "Let's go douchebags. All your chips are mine." -- you usually know an ATM has just joined the table.
9) I know you said this but... 99% of the shortstack players I see are not playing a shortstack strategy. They are most just scared fish who don't want to lose it all in one hand.
10) Last- its pretty obvious that some players don't give a second thought to hand reading. How many times are you at a table thinking to yourself, "what the heck is (insert fish)__________ calling with here? Its clear that the other person just made his straight/flush/has a set, etc." (Hopefully, this will never change)

That's my 10. (I agree that #s 1, 2, 5 and 8 on the other list says a lot about a player)

[/ QUOTE ]
WOW, great list. you get the prize for most ways to spot all in one post. kuddos. 4-7 are all great thx for the post
Old 11-11-2005, 10:31 AM

I like 2) and once I played a guy at 100NL who always min bets and min check raises. For a while I thought I got into wrong game. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-11-2005, 10:42 AM

Most of the time our table coach is a fish.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:27 PM

At SS PLO8, its even worse. at a $25 table, there will be a $12 pot on the flop. Say 6 players put $2 each in preflop.

The first player now leads .25 on the flop. The next player raises it to .50. Call. Call. The last player Raises it to $8. Everyone else folds.

What the hell is a quarter bet into a $12 pot supposed to accomplish? Then... raising that quarter open to .50 says what? "My hand blows but its slightly better then the guy on my right?"
Old 11-11-2005, 04:44 PM

Anyone that has "ProPokerPlr" or some variation of pro and poker in their name. Anyone that has the word nuts in their name.
Old 11-11-2005, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone that has "ProPokerPlr" or some variation of pro and poker in their name. Anyone that has the word nuts in their name.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ahh...good one, also names like "iGotAA's" or "Allinbilly" are a good sign. Also people tend to pick names oppisite to there playing style alot, like "Mr.bluff" is very tight and "rockSolid" is a maniac ect.
Old 11-12-2005, 07:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What the hell is a quarter bet into a $12 pot supposed to accomplish? Then... raising that quarter open to .50 says what? "My hand blows but its slightly better then the guy on my right?"

[/ QUOTE ]

roflmao - I honestly cant stop laughing at this [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 11-12-2005, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1) People who open-minraise or minraise when the're closing the action -- but then fold when anyone makes a real raise. (These are great people to have at the table if you want to checkraise)
2) People who minbet into a huge pot (then fold to a real bet)
4) people who limp on the button and slowplay their high pocket pairs
5) People who bet with a hand, but bet so small that any draw has the right odds to call.
6) people who play any 2 suited cards
7) 'any ace' players regardless of the pf action

[/ QUOTE ]I agree with these big time. About #1 in particular, I think it's safe to say that just about 100% of the time if a person in the BB minraises after there were several limpers the person is as fishy as they come. Instanote. To be fair, the player might be making a transition from limit but that still means they're not good at this game at this point.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:47 AM

Default Re: 10 ways to Spot a FISH.

My ways to find a fish:

- Hands he is willing to play out of position with
- Hands he is willing to play regardless of position
- Hands he is willing to call raises with out of position
- Betting pattern (weak betting, miniraising, etc etc)
- Stack size
- Hand history, check the betting pattern.
Old 11-11-2005, 06:17 PM

Default Re: 10 ways to Spot a FISH.

Well a W$SD < 30% (with 10+ instances) is pretty nice stat to see pop up on someone..