Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2005, 10:38 AM

Default Re: Paris riots spread, shaking French government

[ QUOTE ]
The Roman Catholic Church had much to do with the preservation and continuance of Western civilization.

[/ QUOTE ]

I cant tell if you are being serious or being sarcastic.

As for muslim influence one easy route to further knowledge is to type "origins of algebra" into google.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The Roman Catholic Church had much to do with the preservation and continuance of Western civilization.

[/ QUOTE ]

I cant tell if you are being serious or being sarcastic.

As for muslim influence one easy route to further knowledge is to type "origins of algebra" into google.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im being quite serious. I would have thought that someone who appears to be as well read as you do would have a more accurate picture of this period in history. Recent scholarship is acknowledging more and more the the postive role of the Church in the development of Western civilization.Im not saying it was all sunshine and roses but the net benefit was definitely positive.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
majority extremists

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure if this term means anything, if the majority are the extreme, doesnt that make the "extreme" the mainstream opinion? Another poster already pointed out howdumb this is. So a small group of Algerians saw it profitable to sidewith the french, as a result they are considered traitors and resisted against? I'd like to see the corelation between these secular muslims and the upper/middle class of pre colonial algeria, I'd bet they are pretty close.

Colonized areas are usually very [censored] up after years of being colonized. (With a few notable exceptions: USA being one) The reason for this is that the economy of the colony is set up to benefit the mother country, not itself.

In case you haven't noticed almost every country south of Texas is equally as messed up as Algeria is, and they have been liberated for over 175 years. Seems like you ignorant bashing of islam is just that, ignorant. Islam is not what keeps ALgeria from advancing in socio-economic terms, it is the legacy of colonialism.

The same legacy that keeps the Christian Latin America, the mutli cultural Southern Africa, and the Islamic world in a state of submission to the west.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why do you think that period of western European "civilisation" is called the dark ages?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ignorance?

[ QUOTE ]
If the works of the Greek philosphers had not been maintained there would have been no Renaisaince, no age of Englightenment and no truimph of reason and scientific thought over primitive Christian dogma, no democracy no concept of rights nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Roman Catholic Church had much to do with the preservation and continuance of Western civilization. Also it was the "primitive Christian dogma" that was first to posit the dignity of man qua man.

Im not saying the Muslim cultures didnt play some part in all this, but most people have a very incorrect view of what went on in the "Dark Ages" and the Church's role during that time.

[/ QUOTE ]
There are two groups that 90% of the posters on here will never give any props to, that is America and the Church. Just let it be. Its easier for them to just hate us all.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:29 PM

Salt, I didnt have you down as tired old cliche man.

Oh no they criticised the Church, they must HATE HATE HATE it and they must HATE HATE HATE America.

YAWWWWWWWWWWNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

That is so old.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:37 PM

I would say recent reading are more along the lines of well it wasnt as bad as we first thought but it was still bad in general with some good bits.

The Catholic church is/was comprised of many elements. Historicaly those that were progresive and forward thinking being in the minority and not normaly part of the upper echolons of CC ruling apparatus and hierachy.

One of the most famous clashes in the development of scientific thought is between Gallieo and the Pope.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:58 PM

thank you for clarifying, I knew you liked us.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
thank you for clarifying, I knew you liked us.

[/ QUOTE ]

America feck yea, coming again to save the motherfeckin world yea.

Whats not to like?
Old 11-07-2005, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would say recent reading are more along the lines of well it wasnt as bad as we first thought but it was still bad in general with some good bits.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with that summation but at least you acknowledge that the scholarship is out there.

[ QUOTE ]
One of the most famous clashes in the development of scientific thought is between Gallieo and the Pope.

[/ QUOTE ]

A perfect example of incorrect history. The Church's issues with Galileo stemmed from his desire to alter theology based on his then unproven theories. The Church was very supportive of his efforts however and in fact astronomy in general owes a great deal to the Church. If Galileo had stuck to science and stayed out of theology there would have been no problems.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:11 PM

Default French riots hit 274 towns, spread abroad

French riots hit 274 towns, spread abroad

The growing violence is forcing France to confront long-simmering anger in its suburbs, where many Africans and their French-born children live on society’s margins, struggling with high unemployment, racial discrimination and despair — fertile terrain for crime of all sorts as well as for Muslim extremists offering frustrated youths a way out.

True or not true? What does the history of race riots in the U.S. tell us about this situation? During the late 60's these were frequent in the U.S. The riots that resulted in the first police brutality verdicts in the Rodney King case may be insightful as well. Also we might want to consider the recent violence in New Orleans. They seem to have a common thread in that many disenfranchised feel oppressed and revolt at the idea that they're being targeted for further oppression. Not saying that they're feelings are justified btw. The U.S. has a problem among its underclass with high unemployment among impoverished black males and if we were to see another Rodney King type verdict (I know the policeman were later convicted by the Feds) I don't think it's a stretch at all to believe that me may see riots again here. I don't think government handouts are enough to "enfranchise" the "disenfranchised" nor does government have those kinds of resources especially in a slow growing to declining aging population base. My understanding from reading articles about the economic environment in France, is that France is moving towards more "pro growth" economic policies that lead to more employment but a smaller government safety net.